Paramilitary question.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knivesinedc

Paramilitary question.

Post by Knivesinedc »

Hey guys. So I was playing with the pivot screws on my Para2 the other day trying to reduce the side to side play and I noticed that, even though the knife has screws on both sides of the knife, only the screw on the same side as the lock will turn. The other screw is locked in and will not turn. is it supposed to be that way? Thanks in advance. -Jake-
Ray Allen

Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Sounds like the loctite applied at the factory is doing its thing extra aggressively on one side. They should turn on both sides after breaking the thread locker bond.
Cheers...
Last edited by Ray Allen on Wed May 20, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Re: Paramilitary question.

Post by Evil D »

It can take quite a bit of force to break free. I twisted a bit on one of my Para 2 sprints trying to loosen it.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I recommend adding a little heat, this should release the loctight. Boiling water for a minute or two should do it.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Thanks for the info fellas. Another question, does the paramilitary usually have side to side play? Blade play drives me insane, so I'm curious if its common in the Para?
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Knivesinedc wrote:Thanks for the info fellas. Another question, does the paramilitary usually have side to side play? Blade play drives me insane, so I'm curious if its common in the Para?
My first PM2 developed it over time. My solution to that was to polish the pivot, the liners, the blade tang, and washers so I could tighten the pivot more and it is still buttery smooth.

Tools for the job: A tube of Flitz and a Milwaukee rotary tool (dremel with polishing tip), but you can just do it by hand (I found the washers had to be done by hand no matter what) with a towel but I'm impatient. :D
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

MadMaximus wrote:
Knivesinedc wrote:Thanks for the info fellas. Another question, does the paramilitary usually have side to side play? Blade play drives me insane, so I'm curious if its common in the Para?
My first PM2 developed it over time. My solution to that was to polish the pivot, the liners, the blade tang, and washers so I could tighten the pivot more and it is still buttery smooth.

Tools for the job: A tube of Flitz and a Milwaukee rotary tool (dremel with polishing tip), but you can just do it by hand (I found the washers had to be done by hand no matter what) with a towel but I'm impatient. :D
Thanks much for the tip! Would just a normal old bath towel or wash cloth work for polishing?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be very careful about polishing any of those things. Polishing removes material and will open up tolerances. I know a lot of guys do it anyway and may never have issues with it, but it's risky. The tighter the tolerances are, the more impact this tiny amount of material being removed during polish can make. Personally I'd just grease the pivot and get out as much play as you can and move on. If you want absolutely no play whatsoever, this may not be the knife for you.
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Evil D wrote:I'd be very careful about polishing any of those things. Polishing removes material and will open up tolerances. I know a lot of guys do it anyway and may never have issues with it, but it's risky. The tighter the tolerances are, the more impact this tiny amount of material being removed during polish can make. Personally I'd just grease the pivot and get out as much play as you can and move on. If you want absolutely no play whatsoever, this may not be the knife for you.

I agree, however if there is a bur (spelling?) in the pivot area it takes care of that. The key is being comfortable with your skills, and not going too far, if attempting this for the first time I would recommend a trial and error so you don't overdo it. I've been doing this for years starting with the first knife I've ever owned (that wasn't pinned).
Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Knivesinedc wrote:
MadMaximus wrote:

Thanks much for the tip! Would just a normal old bath towel or wash cloth work for polishing?

It should, I use those Goodyear lint-free shop towels (you can get them for like $5 for a pack of 8) and they work very well, especially with the washers. The shop towels are smoother and finer, so it makes it a bit easier to use as well.
Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The way the PM2 is constructed, it is very sensitive to adjustments of the pivot screw (and to a lesser degree, the stop pin). If you like your action loose, so that the blade swings freely, it will likely introduce a tiny bit of side-to-side play. That's the tradeoff for loosening the action. However, if you tighten up the pivot screw so that the blade requires constant thumb pressure to open (basically, the factory setting), then there is little or no side play.

Personally, I like a loose pivot and don't mind the tiny bit of side-to-side play it introduces. It is so minor that it doesn't affect the function of the knife.

TedP
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I agree Ted. All my paras have free swinging blades for easy one hand open and close. The tiny bit of side to side play is so minor it's really a non-issue IMO.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi