Newer FRN/FRCP, Why so flat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Newer FRN/FRCP, Why so flat?

Post by araneae »

I am very curious if there is a reason for the flatness/squareness of the newer FRN/FRCP knives such as the Manix Lightweight and the N5? I really love the N5, but would find it much more comfortable if the edges were rounded like the Delica/Endura etc. It seems like a step backwards in my opinion unless there is a reason that escapes me.
DougC-3

Re: Newer FRN/FRCP, Why so flat?

Post by DougC-3 »

I have to pretty much concur. I admit that all of the G-10 knives I love are near perfectly rectangular in cross section, so you might ask, if I like them, why not FRN and FRCP? Well, I like the G-10 even better when it's chamfered and rounded on the edges. Comfort in hand seems to be an important feature for some and maybe not so much for others. I do like the feel of the Native 1, Endura, etc, more than the squared off edges of the light weight Manix and Native 5. The little rim around the edges seems to be particularly noticeable all the time, and I much prefer the feel of the rounded edges of the Pacific Salt. I also like the less slick feel of the rounded areas on the Salt, Delica, etc.

Whatever the reason for the slick texture of the lt. wts., maybe the ridge is to give you more of a platform to hold the knife while pushing out the blade, offsetting the lack of traction caused by the slickness. In any case, I probably won't be buying any more of this type of light weight -- thankfully I've got tons (literally!) of other spydies to choose from :)

Edit: typo & clarification. Also I reserve the right to waffle if an appealing sprint comes out ;)
Last edited by DougC-3 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

I just compared my Delica LW with my new Native 5 LW and you are right - the former is definite more rounded. Fortunately this difference is not an issue for me in an EDC knife.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fomulation of FRN/FRCP when used in a knife with liners vs no liners?
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Changed my mind after I bought a Native 5 Lightweight. I love it.
Last edited by Fred Sanford on Sat May 30, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

How hard would it be and is it possible to sand the edges?

I have both the N5 and Manix 2 Lwt versions.

I've never found the squareness to be a problem.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I find both the Manix LTW and Delica comfortable to use. I had to compare them side by side after reading this to notice a difference in my hand. For me, it's not a factor.
dialex

Post by dialex »

While I'm not sure about the reasons the newer models have those square edges, I remember long time ago they used the chamfer the edges of the opening hole. They eventually gave up doing this because they found out that unbevelled edges allow better purchase and control over the opening / closing process. Could be something similar with the FRN / FRCP handles (or it could be just a technological issue involved).
araneae

Post by araneae »

It's definitely puzzling to me. Going back to the Delica 1 FRN edges were all rounded nicely- now they aren't. I definitely find the rounded edges more comfortable in a variety of grips and more aesthetically pleasing. It's particularly noticeable in the N5 using the choil. Would love to hear from the Spydercrew if there is indeed a reason. The square edges also appeared in the Byrd lightweights latest generation.

And yes, I could sand them myself if I found it that terrible.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

What I really find I don't like about FRCP is the slipperiness. Needs more glass or something. The FRN on my FFG UKPK is perfect.
- best wishes, Jazz.
eqlzr

Post by eqlzr »

I absolutely don't like the squared off corners on the FRN. I would buy the knife if they were rounded off, but will not otherwise. I even round off the corners of my G10 handled knives with a grinding bit on a Dremel tool, then sand paper and oil the areas to finish them. Works great and improves the feel of the knife in my hand immensely. I don't like the way FRN turns out when it's ground and/or sanded.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Jazz wrote:What I really find I don't like about FRCP is the slipperiness.
I read this and thought to myself, "perhaps some sanding could give a better texture."
eqlzr wrote: I don't like the way FRN turns out when it's ground and/or sanded.
Now I'm wondering if that will even work.

It's true, the texture of the FRCP (or lack thereof) on these square handles does make them feel cheaper. I don't like it. FRN handles have that sort of gritty yet smooth, as-cast texture, along with nice rounded edges. FRCP is taking another route, and aside from my dark blue Manix, I'm not following.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Bumping this as Blade Show is over and may have a chance at feedback now. Sal are you there?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I really like the Manix 2 LW in S110V. Do I like it as much as my Manix 2 cruwear sprint? Probably not. Is that a fair comparison? Probably not. Would I recommend the Manix 2 LW in S110V - yes!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I agree that the light weight S110V Manix 2 is a nice knife. I have a blackish anodized wire clip on mine and it's more discrete than the G-10 Manix 2's for "dressy" occasions, and the light weight is a nice change of pace. I carry it sometimes when I wouldn't carry the gray Cruwear with silver clip... but I would still like to see a trend of more rounded edges on some of the new FRN's :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

FRN can be ground and sanded just like G10 but you have to do it at a low speed or it will heat up and melt. The biggest drawback is that the smooth surfaces usually have a slight texture cast into them which you can't really match once you've sanded them. Also on these particular models there isn't a lot of material on the corners to work with before you get into the bidirectional pattern. It doesn't bother me much as I grew up with many slip joints that have much sharper squared off handles.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

FRN will sand wonderfully if you finish it with a very fine grit. You also have to do it by hand and a little bit makes a huge difference. I sanded the FRN on my Endura to get rid of that hump in the middle of the grip. It came out nice. Remember to go slow because you can't put it back once its gone.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'm not a huge fan of the new plastic

The old frn was perfect.

Why mess with perfection?
Surfingringo