Pre-need replacements: Have you ever needed to use one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Pre-need replacements: Have you ever needed to use one?

Post by Evil D »

I haven't as of yet, but I own knives that I would use a heck of a lot more if they were easily replaceable. I think from this point on, any time I buy a sprint that I really like, I'm buying 2. Otherwise it'll have to be a knife that really works for me if it's standard production, and then I may buy a backup just in case they disco. I'll be buying another Manix 2 S110V at some point. I may even buy a couple of that particular knife just to have the blades for G10 swaps in the future.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I don't buy pre-need replacements simply because I don't have the money. Someday when I'm rich I'll have backups for backups, but for now it's limit one per SKU. I only recently broke my oath of one per model and bought a second PM2, and if the stars align I'll have a third whenever it drops.

The only knife I have bought more than once is not a Spyderco. It's my trusty old CRKT 4514. It was my EDC for most of 7 years, only occasionally being replaced by a Kershaw and sometimes accompanied by others, but it was always number one. I did everything with and to that knife, until I finally lost it on a crabbing mission where empty beer cans outnumbered crabs in the cage. Excellent knife, and I eventually bought another one not too long ago. Noticing it was discontinued, I bought what may very well have been the second to last one on the internet to keep pristine, while the other one is destined for some mods once I get the time. So it's not really a pre-need replacement, more of an undo button if I ever totally screw up the user. I dunno, maybe that is pre-need. I guess it depends how you look at it.

Oh and Gringo,
Surfingringo wrote: I got to handle the new brown stretch recently
Pics or it didn't happen!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

PayneTrain wrote:I don't buy pre-need replacements simply because I don't have the money. Someday when I'm rich I'll have backups for backups, but for now it's limit one per SKU. I only recently broke my oath of one per model and bought a second PM2, and if the stars align I'll have a third whenever it drops.

The only knife I have bought more than once is not a Spyderco. It's my trusty old CRKT 4514. It was my EDC for most of 7 years, only occasionally being replaced by a Kershaw and sometimes accompanied by others, but it was always number one. I did everything with and to that knife, until I finally lost it on a crabbing mission where empty beer cans outnumbered crabs in the cage. Excellent knife, and I eventually bought another one not too long ago. Noticing it was discontinued, I bought what may very well have been the second to last one on the internet to keep pristine, while the other one is destined for some mods once I get the time. So it's not really a pre-need replacement, more of an undo button if I ever totally screw up the user. I dunno, maybe that is pre-need. I guess it depends how you look at it.

Oh and Gringo,
hahaha. SFO last month. I was lucky enough to get to meet Sal for a few minutes. I mentioned i was anxious to see the new stretch and he just grinned and pulled a well worn one out of his right pocket.

But whatever...the real story is what he had in his LEFT pocket. :eek: Blow yo' mind boy...blow yo' mind!! :cool:
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Surfingringo wrote: But whatever...the real story is what he had in his LEFT pocket. :eek: Blow yo' mind boy...blow yo' mind!! :cool:
Why did you have to do that? No, I'm going to sleep and pretending this post was only a dream. A dream...a dream.......
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Surfingringo wrote: I have the utmost faith that they will continue to innovate and put out newer and better designs and steels. I don't want to spend my knife budget on replacement knives that I don't need yet when it seems there is always something better around the corner.
Unfortunately I cannot 100% agree. Sometimes it is true. I certainly love Native5 much more than any previous Natives. I like Para2 and never cared about original Para.
Still Spyderco had/has many absolutely unique designs that after they got discontinued nothing comes even close. What knife can replace Shabaria, Kopa or Volpe? I am happy that I have back-ups for my VG10 Caly 3.5. CF variant in my book is very different knife. Sometimes reincarnation has almost nothing in common with original except name. C83 Persian is a good example. I EDC my beloved Persian since August 2006. I carried every day for years, than every other day. It was dropped on concrete floor few times, by accident hit few brass staples. And still looks good. I was thinking about retire it few times, but every time it comes back. Few weeks ago I gifted one of my back-ups to dear friend. I wasn't any lucky to get replacement. Of cause I can pay $325 for used on e-bay, but I feel that this is little too much. I can only wish that I had more back-ups.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

So, what was in the left pocket?
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I'll admit I have sometimes "justified" purchasing a 2nd (or 3rd) of a specific model that I really liked by saying "I could sell it for more than I paid for it or trade it for another highly-desired model", but I've never been able to get myself to part with any Spyderco's, except a few I bought specifically as a gift for family members. Some models I was searching a long time for, that it became an impulse buy anytime I managed to find one.

For example the fluted Ti Native 5 (I have 3), and fluted Ti Military (I think I'm up to 4 of them now). Thank goodness I haven't seen anyplace with more of them in stock again, I might not be able to resist, it's a darn psychological problem I guess.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

TomAiello wrote:So, what was in the left pocket?
You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and Sal shows you how deep the left pocket goes. :p
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I thought about this a bit more and I don't even know if pre need replacement is the right term for me. I've bought different variations of the same model but that's not quite the same. Example, the upcoming M4 Para 2 is gonna be quite a different knife than the S90V version. I've owned 4 different Yojimbo 2s and currently own 3, two being the S90V variant, but I bought them with the intention of modding one of them. The question is does that change things? I doubt I would use the non modded version over the modded one so maybe not. And one day of I manage to wear out that blade or even break it, I'd likely swap the other blade into my modded handle.

It's funny someone mentioned not having the money for variations and back ups. I certainly have a very limited amount of play money, I just have it prioritized for certain things, and for very special knives I will sacrifice having a different model knife just to have a backup.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:I haven't as of yet, but I own knives that I would use a heck of a lot more if they were easily replaceable...
I agree with this. Having a backup removes the anxiety of breaking or losing something that is valuable and difficult to replace.

Backups only makes sense to me if we are talking about sprints or exclusives or discontinued models. I carry a Victorinox Pioneer or Farmer every day LFP, and have for the last 15 years. I would say they are my favorite 2nd knife, but I do not have backups of them because they are easy and cheap to replace. I have lost and replaced about 3 over the years.
bh49 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote: I have the utmost faith that they will continue to innovate and put out newer and better designs and steels. I don't want to spend my knife budget on replacement knives that I don't need yet when it seems there is always something better around the corner.
Unfortunately I cannot 100% agree. Sometimes it is true. I certainly love Native5 much more than any previous Natives. I like Para2 and never cared about original Para.
Still Spyderco had/has many absolutely unique designs that after they got discontinued nothing comes even close. What knife can replace Shabaria, Kopa or Volpe? ...
I agree BH, that's how I feel about some of the Superblue knives, but because the steel is so rare for folders. After this last mega sprint run of FRN Superblues, I am not sure we are going to see too much of it in the near future. I could be wrong of course, but I am not prepared to gamble, and would rather fork out the cash for a backup now than pay double on Ebay years down the line.

On the other hand (looking at the responses so far), chances are fairly good I will never need to use my backup, but at least I can sell it to fund the next super duper Stretch, like the one in laminated Hap40... :D
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
joe58

Post by joe58 »

Being quite OCD and paranoid, I will often buy a backup model of a knife I really like out of a concern it will be discontinued by the time I should ever need it. Even though I've never actually worn out a particular knife. I rotate knives too often for that I think.

I always figure that if I keep the backup packed away NIB, it will always be a good sale item down the road if needs be. Especially if it was a popular model. It also figures into building a nice collection that will be passed on for the kids at my estate sale. Lol.

I do the same with other things as well, such as fishing reels or whatever. Some sort of brain drain I think.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I have a couple that I got at good prices when a model went out of production. They are normally traded or sold later, but I still have 3 PE C42 Vieles (2 AUS-8 and 1 VG10) and 2 CF Walkers :D

Others aren't exact duplicates (several Militarys, but all in different steel/CF etc)
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

My every single day user is my black blade camo Millie, gets used a bunch, so eventually it'll get worn out, if I live that long. Liquidated a bunch of other Spydies of late, deciding that the Military platform was the most perfect for me.

It's backup is a new Cruwear Millie that I also carry daily, but don't use much, with three more NIB Cruwear Millie's in the closet as backups to that one, or as trading fodder in the future.

All my other knives are singles.
Matt
bh49

Post by bh49 »

NoFair wrote:but I still have 3 PE C42 Vieles (2 AUS-8 and 1 VG10)
I wouldn't count AUS-8 and VG10 C42 as duplicated. These are two different knives. :) Different steels, different construction. :)
I never counted C83 Persians with Gold bug and original as dublicates :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have needed to use a pre-need replacement when I've sold them. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

That's my excuse with the Militarys ;) One of the AUS8 Vieles is also pretty worn while the other one is like new :D
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I have backups or rather duplicates of some knives, but the main reason I bought them was not as backups, but rather that funds allowed it at the time, though not any more, and I have not purchased any other Spyderco, or for that matter any production knife, in a few years now.

Customs, though I would like to get backups off because stuff happens and a maker might not make it any more or retire completely. Especially the customs that I use and EDC, but once again, FUNDS :rolleyes:
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I tend to buy at least 2 of the same model every time when I buy a knife, if they are priced under $100. When the price goes up, I just buy one. I do tend to gift cheaper knives so a lot get given away.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Surfingringo wrote:
PayneTrain wrote:I don't buy pre-need replacements simply because I don't have the money. Someday when I'm rich I'll have backups for backups, but for now it's limit one per SKU. I only recently broke my oath of one per model and bought a second PM2, and if the stars align I'll have a third whenever it drops.

Oh and Gringo,
hahaha. SFO last month. I was lucky enough to get to meet Sal for a few minutes. I mentioned i was anxious to see the new stretch and he just grinned and pulled a well worn one

But whatever...the real story is what he had in his LEFT pocket. :eek: Blow yo' mind boy...blow yo' mind!! :cool:
What was it lance?
petrosil

Post by petrosil »

As soon as I got a Sage 1 off the Blade Forum I started looking for another and got one NIB for a great price. I used the heck out of the first one and sold it to a friend. Pulled the second one out recently and put it into action, not sure if I'll get another yet for BU yet or not. Got several other BU's but still have both.