Any chance of sprint run Standard?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
munchs

Any chance of sprint run Standard?

Post by munchs »

Hi,

I'm not sure if there is anyone who remembers the existence of the spyderco Standard model. If my memory serves right it was #05 model.
And It was also the first spyderco I fell in love with but could not afford to buy. I was a student and never had enough money to get one...

If you are wondering what it looks like, it's easy to visualize in your head. It has the hanldle of the worker model and the blade of a saber grind delica.

I really like it make back once more as sprint runs. :) :) :)
Last edited by munchs on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
munchs

Re: Any chance of sprint run BASIC?

Post by munchs »

Sorry it's Standard model, not basic. My memory messed up!!
Title corrected!
kennethsime

Re: Any chance of sprint run Standard?

Post by kennethsime »

As far as I know, the Spyderco Standard evolved into the Delica. I would bet that most people would see the modern Delica 4, which has seen generation after generation of improvements, to be superior to the old Standard, making it unlikely that we'd see a Standard sprint run. That said, they did bring back the Worker for a sprint run recently, so the idea isn't that far out there.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
PcT

Post by PcT »

+1 from me. Love the Standard (also known as the Economy). It was my first Spydie years n years ago.
It did evolve into the Delica so I've gotta agree, it's not a likely candidate. The Worker was likely done as it was their first model and therefore a special sprint. But maybe they could do a sprint of the Delica evolution. That'd be cool. Sprint Delica 1, I'd snap that up!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

It's a nice knife, but I can't see it coming back as a sprint run.

Here are mine--one with the stamped out clip and one with the screw on clip.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If memory serves, the Standard and the Delica are pretty much the same. The Standard was a wee bit shorter in the handle, while the Delica fits most hands. The Delica has much better steel but the blade design was the same. You can get a current Delica with the saber ground blade of the Standard and be happy. The Delica is my favorite Spyderco, hands down.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
munchs

Post by munchs »

The one I saw for the first time was in G10 handle the same construction as the old and rare G10 police model. It looded perfect and just the right size for me. I myself love delica models, but after I handled the recent sprint G10 Worker, I'm convinced the G10 Standard with full flat grind blade would make a great sprint ....

But as much as I want to see a sprint for this, I know it's not likely to happen.... Just hope Spyderco gives a chance to this old model with some upgrades.