Why not this Sprint...again?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to see the Dyad Jr. offered again as a Sprint Run?

A. Yes, I would buy one in any variation of handle color or blade steel.
23%
B. Yes, but I would like to have ________ color FRN handles and __________ blade steel. (Please explain below).
10%
C. Yes, but I would like to see it with H1 blades with either a yellow or black FRN handle.
13%
D. Not really. This doesn't do much for me.
53%

Total votes: 30

SpyderNut

Why not this Sprint...again?

Post by SpyderNut »

While sitting at my desk at the office this past weekend, I began to ponder the various attributes of my venerable Dyad Jr. Sprint. To me, the Dyad Jr. is the absolute perfect every-day carry knife for light/medium duty use, especially when wearing a suit or at least dress pants/slacks. I mean, talk about having the best of both worlds: The needle-point PE blade is razor sharp and literally sings through envelopes effortlessly. The hollow-ground SE blade is slightly more robust and is capable of tackling the more strenuous tasks of the day. The VG-10 blades are easy to maintain and hold a very decent edge. The linerless FRN is very light and thin, yet sturdy and durable. It also features screw-together construction--my personal favorite method of construction on folding knives. And, last but not least, it is small enough to hide in the pocket of my dress pants, but is still big enough to tackle some pretty decent jobs with relative ease. During the work week, I find myself carrying the Dyad Jr., Manbug, Ladybug, and even my Dragonfly loosely in my pocket at work due to strict knife policies. :( Anyway, I believe there would be many others out there who would also greatly benefit in having a Dyad Jr. to carry when being discreet is the only way to fly.

My question is this: Would you like to see the Dyad Jr. offered again as a Sprint run? If so, what color of FRN would you like to see? What type of blade steel? I know twinboysdad had started a petition to see a Salt Dyad Jr. a while ago. I would wholeheartedly endorse this concept too. Heck, I'd be tickled pink to see any variation of the Dyad Jr. offered again. And this time, I will be certain to buy several so I'll have several as back-ups to last me for the rest of my time wearing dress pants. ;)

Thanks for your input!

-Michael
PcT

Re: Why not this Sprint...again?

Post by PcT »

B. Yes, but I would like to have _sky blue_ color FRN handles and _ZDP189_ blade steel. (Please explain below).
Or even a light green Micarta...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I loved the Dyad Junior models but most of all I dearly loved the MICARTA version of the C-39 Dyad Jr. The big C-44 Dyad is probably one of my very favorite Spyders of all time so brother I do understand your love for the smaller one. But do check out the Micarta version of the C-39 Dyad.

When you got a Spyder with the best of both worlds ( PE & SE) there isn't many cutting jobs you can't do.

And it would be cool to do a Micarta Dyad Junior Sprint in a color of everyone's liking or maybe even different colors like they originally did with the FRN Dyad Jr.
paladin

Post by paladin »

D. for me...

Dyad, although notable as being a multi-blade Spydie, is also noteworthy of being one of the most non-ergonomic, IMHO
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Isn't this both linerless and clipless? Com'on, easy salt knife for sure!!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I agree with zdp as a good steel choice, any colour frn other than black, (I've got a black frn one in the mail) but I'd love to see it back in micarta or g10 over liners.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Didn't zdp in SE get the axe due to durability problems? I am not sure but I thought that I heard that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PcT

Post by PcT »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Didn't zdp in SE get the axe due to durability problems? I am not sure but I thought that I heard that.

BFK not sure about that, they could split the steels tho couldn't they?! PE ZDP and SE in some form of CPM?
shabowie

Post by shabowie »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Didn't zdp in SE get the axe due to durability problems? I am not sure but I thought that I heard that.
Thought I read the teeth were chipping out as well.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

PcT wrote:

BFK not sure about that, they could split the steels tho couldn't they?! PE ZDP and SE in some form of CPM?
ZDP and CPM-xxx aren't gonna happen. Seeing as how the Dyad Jr was made in Japan, you'd have to do ZDP and some other Japanese steel.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I would have though zdp would be ok on the Dyad Jr. as such a small knife will likely only see light duty tasks. It's perfect on my dragonfly but have no experience with it on a SE. That should be left to the experts but I'd certainly like to see it sprinted again.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I would jump on a sprint of any kind d but would especially like a micarta.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'd like to see it in British Racing Green and ZDP-189 myself. I like the Micarta version better, mostly because it didn't use the By-Pass lock. I've carried and used the C44 every day for years, and I still try to unlock the blade with the wrong release about once a week.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I must admit I'm a little saddened with the poll results so far...:( I guess this is why the Dyad Jr. was discontinued. ;) But hey, this is why it's good to discuss these things and get all of the cards on the table, so to speak. Anyway, I really like the idea of sky blue FRN and ZDP -189. Micarta would be a nice upgrade, but I recall Eric saying recently that they would not likely use Micarta as a handle material due to shrinkage issues. Perhaps a fine textured G-10 in light blue?
Brother Paladin makes a good point on the ergos (or perhaps the lack thereof). I wonder if this is something Spyderco would be willing to CQI at some point? I would have to think that there could be a way to reconfigure the handle so that while one blade is not in use (i.e. closed position) it still would not impede the user's grip. This is hard to explain, but I can see it in my mind.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. Even if there are no changes, I still very much like this design and would still love to see it offered in a Salt configuration. Maybe someday...

Michael
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

yablanowitz wrote:I'd like to see it in British Racing Green and ZDP-189 myself. I like the Micarta version better, mostly because it didn't use the By-Pass lock. I've carried and used the C44 every day for years, and I still try to unlock the blade with the wrong release about once a week.
I do the exact same thing (trying to disengage the wrong lock). :rolleyes: I finally had to remind myself that it is the farther lock that needs to be released when the blade is opened.

I've toyed with getting the larger gray G-10 Dyad Sprint here recently. Believe me, I am tempted. The only issues would be too much weight and bulk when wearing lightweight dress pants. :( I need this to be fairly inconspicuous because I'll be carrying it at work. I also might start carrying my Micro-Dyad Black Pearl again just to get a feel for the size. We'll see, but so far the Dyad Jr.'s size has been perfect.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Forget ZDP, just run it in anything and I will buy one or two. VG 10 is underrated as heck