Manix Grail Squared (aka Just because I had to..)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jylong_away

Manix Grail Squared (aka Just because I had to..)

Post by jylong_away »

Just a quick picture of my latest work as a dedicated tinkerer...
Manix110CF.jpg
Am glad to report that the FRN handles are still servicable if I can find the appropriate handle screws and bolts.

Thanks to MadRookie from BF for the inspiration!
DougC-3

Re: Manix Grail Squared (aka Just because I had to..)

Post by DougC-3 »

Congratulations on being able to save the FRN scales... actually we've recently found out that those are really FRCP. This may fall into the category of things about which "if you can't tell, it doesn't matter" :D I'm guessing that you now have a spare S90V blade -- not a bad thing to have... or if you made those CF scales, I'd say that would be worth more congratulations than saving the originals. By the way we claim MadRookie over here, though I don't think I've seen him lately.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

Many thanks - it was a straight blade swap into the handle of my 'modifier' S90V manix. I must admit, the liner alignment on that particular one was pretty off, so the blade is quite off-center. Have since swapped the S110V blade into the one 'old style' 154CM manix that I have. It was one of the initial models without the skeletonized liners, so it lends much more heft to the whole knife. Makes it feel much more 'hard use' with the 110V blade!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's a pretty epic combo. I'm still struggling with this idea, as I really don't have anything against the LW handle, even if it is FRCP, I haven't had any weird issues with it and I really love how much lighter it is than a lined G10 handle. This is the one knife I've had that I actually care that it's lighter than my others, I think it adds to the awesomeness of it.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I like mine too. I use it when I want a light, deep carry knife and use my original unskeletonized ones when I want a heavy one... and the skeletonized ones when I want an in-between one. Where else can you get a selection like that? :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
swigert

Post by swigert »

DougC-3 wrote:I like mine too. I use it when I want a light, deep carry knife and use my original unskeletonized ones when I want a heavy one... and the skeletonized ones when I want an in-between one. Where else can you get a selection like that? :D
1st world knife problems right here. I can relate :D
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

swigert wrote:1st world knife problems right here. I can relate :D
HAHAHAHA! Gold :)

Speaking of liner-ish things, does anyone know when Spyderco started skeletonizing the liners of the production Manix 2? Am hoping to get my hands on another unit with non-skeletonized liners.

On a slightly unrelated note, I had a look at my 'safe queen' S90V manix for the first time in a while, and I unfortunately have to say that the QC was a bit terrible. Extremely uneven bevel grind, warped CF scales (and poorly attached lanyard tube as a result). Does anyone have any suggestions how to un-warp a CF scale without breaking?