CQI Caly 3.5 ZDP-189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

Re: CQI Caly 3.5 ZDP-189

Post by dreadpirate »

ManixFan wrote:If you don't have the VG-10 Caly 3.5 that is what I'd be jumping on right now.......before they are all gone. I really, really like mine. I also have the CF Caly 3 that I picked up 2nd hand that has some scratching on the cladding.....not too bad, but still there. I haven't added to it but then again I haven't carried it too often after getting the VG-10 3.5
This ^^^^ I have one as well.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Scratched cladding never bothered me. I just enjoy it as it occurs...
Going back to Caly.
christopher

Post by christopher »

You need a C90GRE, Stretch British Racing Green ZDP-189, if you want a completely ZDP blade without any 420J2 cladding, or anything else for that matter. It is a truly beautiful knife. Try it, you'll like it. Sharp....
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

christopher wrote:You need a C90GRE, Stretch British Racing Green ZDP-189, if you want a completely ZDP blade without any 420J2 cladding, or anything else for that matter. It is a truly beautiful knife. Try it, you'll like it. Sharp....
Interesting you should say that. I'm waiting for the pure ZDP-189 Brown G10 version to be my first Stretch. Thanks.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Seki knives with ZDP-189 are unclad. But Seki City Super Blue is sanmai clad.
On the other hand, Moki ZDP-189 is sanmai, and Super Blue is solid.

Here's the Stretch CF with solid ZDP-189 (also a thinner handle than FRN)
Going back to Caly.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Nasgul wrote:There is more scratches than on VG10 but I don't really mind. A knife has to be used. :rolleyes:
You can also polish it, often...
Or Stonewashed it... It's what I may do in the future.

But for now, the thing I don't like it's the non real smooth openning of my Caly 3. :confused:
(Don't know if Caly3 and Caly3.5 have been built exactly the same ? )

Don't you think copper washers or something like that could help a lot ?! (Like on the G10 Dragonfly)
I have heard about the lack of smoothness of the Caly's on this forum but mine wasn't too bad. Just a little gritty......if that is what a lack of smoothness means for others. I loosened the pivot and blew it out with WD-40 and compressed air several times and it is pretty smooth now. It is even easy to thumb flick open with just a tiny bit of wrist motion.....and it is a backlock which are usually the more difficult knives to thumb flick open.

I have even got used to the blade closing onto the choil and the way I close it is by resting my index finder on the choil point and extending a bit past it and then shaking it closed when pressing the backlock. This prevents the blade from closing onto my finger accidentally as the point of my index finger catches the far point (blade side) of the choil and then I reach forward again and complete the closing motion by reaching for the Spyderhole with my index finger while flattening the knife against my palm and keeping all other fingers away from the blade as I pull it into the handle.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Thank you for your answer Manixfan !
Well, I did take of the blade, clean it, but something like WD40 (silicone) and after doing it, it's ok. But after times, it get less smooth again.
I'm sure washers could help. I try the G10 Dragonfly without washers and it do like the Caly.
Do you think I can ask :spyder: Spyderco :spyder: for this ?
It could improve so much this knife with a change of nearly nothing. :) :rolleyes:

Concerning the closing, if I understand well I'm doing something like you.
But I had to be more careful doing this on the Caly3 than on the Dragonfly. On the D-fly it seems there is less risk to close it.
Not sure I'm clear... :D

PS :
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
loool :D
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Nasgul wrote:Thank you for your answer Manixfan !
Well, I did take of the blade, clean it, but something like WD40 (silicone) and after doing it, it's ok. But after times, it get less smooth again.
I'm sure washers could help. I try the G10 Dragonfly without washers and it do like the Caly.
Do you think I can ask :spyder: Spyderco :spyder: for this ?
It could improve so much this knife with a change of nearly nothing. :) :rolleyes:

Concerning the closing, if I understand well I'm doing something like you.
But I had to be more careful doing this on the Caly3 than on the Dragonfly. On the D-fly it seems there is less risk to close it.
Not sure I'm clear... :D
My 3.5 was gritty and stiff to open when new like yours, but after cleaning, it has been my smoothest opening knife. If mine gets a little tight after a month or two, I use a good CLP product and it is smooth again for a long time. FrogLube CLP works well for me, and it is supposedly ok to use with food prep, which I do with my Caly's--I still wash the blade before use. I think the tolerances may be too close for washers... It might help to polish the tang and liners with something like fine Scotch Brite or 0000 steel wool if you still have a problem after trying other lubricants.

I close mine like ManixFan, except that it seems much easier for me to keep my finger tips out of the blade path by reaching for the hole with my thumb.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Mine is a second hand. So may be well used. Without often put lubricant, it get with time harder to open.
I'll try to polish it a bit but as there is no screw on all knife it will be harder.
I'll try for the washers, if I find some small ones.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Washers are going to just deform things since there is no space for them anticipated in the tolerances.

If you do end up removing the blade, try lightly polishing the surface on the backside of the tang where the lock rubs during opening and closing.
Going back to Caly.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Pick up a VG-10 3.5 - excellent.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Nasgul wrote: Well, I did take of the blade, clean it, but something like WD40 (silicone) and after doing it, it's ok. But after times, it get less smooth again.
I agree with SpeedHoles that washers may both not work and mess things up worse than they are now -- just my two cents worth.

Apparently you have already removed the blade once -- not really too hard to do with the Caly in spite of the pinned construction, but not usually recommended by forumites, and it voids the warranty... but knowing all that I did remove my blade and it made it very easy to clean out the pivot area, which I think had some fine carbon fiber particles when the knife was new. I think I could have done just as well with a thorough washing with warm soapy water. But since yours is stiff again, there may be a bit of oxide that could be removed by working in some good quality CLP (clean, lubricate, protect) product of a brand available in your area, maybe of a type used to clean firearms. Good luck with it !! Let us know how it comes out.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Thanks for your help Speedholes & DougC-3 !
Yes I already removed the blade. And it's a second hand knife, so already no warranty I think.
I'll try what you both suggest ;)
And I'll forgot about the washers.
I'll try to lightly polish it then if no change, I'll try another lubricant.
Thanks, I let you know !