Knifeworks M4 PM2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: Knifeworks M4 PM2!!

Post by DougC-3 »

I like 'em too. I'm pretty stuck on my CF S90V Manix2 XL from them, speaking figuratively of course ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Surfingringo wrote:Hi Goldenspydie, who is complaining?...(cut for ease of scrolling)
Sorry--I probably should have used a different word. I am definitely not trying to imply that people were being negative. I just wanted to provide some examples to put pricing into perspective...or at least my view of pricing, which is, in a condensed form: when the original S90V/CF PM2 commands $500+, I think that the M4/CF PM2 at half of that will sell just fine. :)
Philo Beddoe wrote:I don't see any forum rules about price discussion....(cut for ease of scrolling)
Well, I certainly wasn't trying to imply that pricing shouldn't be discussed...so please don't take it that way. In fact, in my post, I discussed my view of the pricing. ;)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this one. One thing I try to do is get a representative of each steel, scale material, and model of knife I'm interested in at the time. I already have some M4, some Golden made peelply CF scales, and a PM2, sadly just not all in the same knife :(
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

DougC-3 wrote:I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this one. One thing I try to do is get a representative of each steel, scale material, and model of knife I'm interested in at the time. I already have some M4, some Golden made peelply CF scales, and a PM2, sadly just not all in the same knife :(
No PM2 yet or M4 ......so considering that this one is coming in Peel Ply CF (which I like a lot) this will fit the bill nicely for me.......not to rub it in Doug :p
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Did anyone mention yet what colour the cf handle will be (i.e. black like the standard Domino or blue weave like the exclusive etc)?
I would pay any amount of money for it if this were the case, no questions asked. I would sell myself on the streets...at a premium of course. Gotta tap into that secondary market, which is definitely there. :cool: Think about that for a second. It gets weird.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

For the record, when I said I was "disappointed" I sure didnt mean I was disappointed in KW but rather disappointed that I may not be able to afford this one. Whatever, I'll probably just go work the opposite corner as paynetrain. I'm sure I'll have to have one of these. I mean come on, it's a pm2 in m4!
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Brock O Lee wrote:Black peel-ply CF, like the Manix 2 XL and Yojimbo S90V Knifeworks exclusives.
I don't know if I would ever describe Peel Ply Cf as black......it's more of a dark grey to me. I believe that if you sand it down and buff it up you would get something exactly like the CF Caly scales. I think that more than a few on the Forum have done this........I think that GoldenSpydie has a Native 5 done like this, if my memory serves me correctly.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Surfingringo wrote:For the record, when I said I was "disappointed" I sure didnt mean I was disappointed in KW but rather disappointed that I may not be able to afford this one. Whatever, I'll probably just go work the opposite corner as paynetrain. I'm sure I'll have to have one of these. I mean come on, it's a pm2 in m4!
Yeah, I'd love to see this at a lower price but after all the begging and pleading I've done for an M4 para (I believe I said I'd buy one if it was pink!) I reckon I'll try to pick one of these up.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Surfingringo wrote:For the record, when I said I was "disappointed" I sure didnt mean I was disappointed in KW but rather disappointed that I may not be able to afford this one. Whatever, I'll probably just go work the opposite corner as paynetrain. I'm sure I'll have to have one of these. I mean come on, it's a pm2 in m4!
Agreed...though having 4 vehicles I can probably sell one of them if necessary lol. Certainly worth it for an M4 PM2. That and from the sounds of it the street corners are going to be all filled up anyways rofl.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

ManixFan wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:Black peel-ply CF, like the Manix 2 XL and Yojimbo S90V Knifeworks exclusives.
I don't know if I would ever describe Peel Ply Cf as black......it's more of a dark grey to me...
Hey leave the hair-splitting for the new sharpening forum... :p
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, there is gonna be a surplus of knife geeks on the street corners later this year. You guys are killing my profit margin. I need another plan.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I can tell, just from the number of replies in this thread, which Knifeworks exclusive is going to exhibit the most demand. Unusually high interest applied to a small, finite number of items quickly drives up the price, usually several multiple of the original price. Ergo, once these knives are being resold on the secondary market, I think you'll see the PM2 command a higher resale price than the Militaries.
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

I personally thought KW's green PM2 was a fantastic deal, and would have gladly paid more if they had asked. Its still my most carried knife. I got a cruwear Manix from then too for what I thought was an amazing deal as well. When I first saw the price tag on this one, I thought it was a little high, but maybe that was just from being so spoiled before. For me personally I can justify it by "splitting the difference" of the three amazing knives.

KW is probably my favorite supplier and focusing so much on the price point alone I think is unfair to them. Yes they are a business whose goal is to make a profit, but guess what, this is america, and thats part of how capitalism works. When you get to the upper echelons of any market, and hobbies especially, you will always be surprised by the price point (RC boats, camping equipment, super cars...) Its up to the consumer to decide where they are comfortable going with it. I know most of my friends and family think that over 25 or 50 bucks is too much for a knife. I guess my thought is that if you think its too much for you, your probably right. But that doesn't mean its too much for the next guy/gal and it certainly doesnt mean that KW is trying to suck us all dry either. Im just so excited to have a chance at my favorite model in M4. Thank you Knifeworks an Spyderco!!
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Yup, there is gonna be a surplus of knife geeks on the street corners later this year. You guys are killing my profit margin. I need another plan.
We'll give a whole new meaning to the term "knife pimping" :D
bearfacedkiller

oops.. double post... quoted myself... :confused:
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

senorsquare wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Yup, there is gonna be a surplus of knife geeks on the street corners later this year. You guys are killing my profit margin. I need another plan.
We'll give a whole new meaning to the term "knife pimping" :D
We're gonna have to be clear that we "pimping our knife" and not "pimping for our knife". :D
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:I can tell, just from the number of replies in this thread, which Knifeworks exclusive is going to exhibit the most demand. Unusually high interest applied to a small, finite number of items quickly drives up the price, usually several multiple of the original price. Ergo, once these knives are being resold on the secondary market, I think you'll see the PM2 command a higher resale price than the Militaries.
Half this thread is discussing price so I do not know if that is considered interest, maybe quite the opposite. Nobody seems to be concerned about the price of the other two. :) Also, we certainly don't have 1200 people commenting in this thread so I don't think this thread represents what the market is gonna do.

I am just as excited for the 204P Military and honestly would probably pick it as my first choice out of the three. Of course, it is ONLY $199. ;) I actually expect the S90V military to be more popular than the 204P Military but only time will tell.

The military is too big for many people and not legal for carry for many either so who really knows?

I think that the order and spacing in which these are released will have just as much of an impact on sales as does the prices.
-Darby
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Price on the secondary market is a more true indicator of what price the market will bear. Price is a function of interest (demand) against supply. Empirically, you can see how much relative interest there is in these already. For these reasons, I think a street price of $300 for the first year after release is not unreasonable given the price of other PM2 sprints. After that it will be going up.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Brock O Lee wrote:
ManixFan wrote:
I don't know if I would ever describe Peel Ply Cf as black......it's more of a dark grey to me...
Hey leave the hair-splitting for the new sharpening forum... :p
I think you mean "hair whittling".........D'Oh! I think I just did it again ;) :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Hi Goldenspydie, who is complaining?...(cut for ease of scrolling)
Sorry--I probably should have used a different word. I am definitely not trying to imply that people were being negative. I just wanted to provide some examples to put pricing into perspective...or at least my view of pricing, which is, in a condensed form: when the original S90V/CF PM2 commands $500+, I think that the M4/CF PM2 at half of that will sell just fine. :)
Philo Beddoe wrote:I don't see any forum rules about price discussion....(cut for ease of scrolling)
Well, I certainly wasn't trying to imply that pricing shouldn't be discussed...so please don't take it that way. In fact, in my post, I discussed my view of the pricing. ;)
Wellll.....I probably was complaining a little. :o It's a knife I've been eagerly awaiting for quite awhile and I'm sure I'll buy one. As far as the price....meh, it costs what it costs. I looked up the old green pm2 and it looks like it sold for a similar discount off retail so I think it's safe to assume that this was just a more expensive knife to produce.