BlervÂ’s Semi-Comprehensive Flashlight Guide (VERY Long)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Jax wrote: Hopefully you will post your HDS when you get it
Will do, after I get a few thoughts about it to go with.
Jax wrote:Every serious flashlight thread should include one of Henry's bomb proof babies :)
Very true.

Cheers,

Ken
玉鋼
Donut

Post by Donut »

That Niteye is pretty neat looking.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Donut wrote:That Niteye is pretty neat looking.
Thanks brother!

Beyond "looking" cool, it's really a terrific little light. I'm a big fan of mag ring UI and this has the best one I've tried. Exactly like the RRT01 but a tad smoother. The range from off (standby) to max with no stepping is outstanding. Since Vinh replaced the LED with a Nichia, it has great tint and CRI. The only down side at all is this much titanium is a tough heavy. It's fine in jeans or even cargo shorts. In swears it kinda bangs around. But that's not much of a downside.

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Re: Blerv’s Semi-Comprehensive Flashlight Guide (VERY Long)

Post by Blerv »

It's been a while since I've bumped this thread :). Just wanted to post a fun and cheap little light I ordered.

The patina is forced but out of the box it's shiny brass and only cost about $30 shipped from : http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1899" target="_blank

They have an XM-L2 version but this XP-G2 one came with an optional 3000k warm tint so it was all over for me! Beam quality is nice, tint is great, modes are spaced well (H/M/L/Strobe/SoS, no memory). Reverse clicky with half-press mode switching possible.

Thread quality was very impressive. Time will tell if the clicky stands up or the circuitry has problems. That said, the construction seems similar to something Maratac would produce so I'm thinking it's of moderate to high quality. It's certainly not a DealsExtreme kind of light you buy for $6-12. I ordered it on November 27th and got it January 5th.

Here it is next to a 18650 P60 host.

Evil D

Re: BlervÂ’s Semi-Comprehensive Flashlight Guide (VERY Long)

Post by Evil D »

What the heck happened to the title of this thread? BlervÂ’s? LOL
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:What the heck happened to the title of this thread? BlervÂ’s? LOL
No clue. I must throw down one mean apostrophe! :D
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Nice. What's the min-max lumens Blerv?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JB3 wrote:Nice. What's the min-max lumens Blerv?
I would guess with a cool XML2 like 900 lumens. A cool white XPG2 like 500-550 with a tighter hotspot. XPG2 neutral would be like 90% of that and in warm like 50-60% of it.

Mine would be approx 300-350h/100m/5-7L. Honestly low looks more like 10% than 2%; it's very usable even without dark adjusted eyesight.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've wanted a good flashlight for years. My problem was that every time I went to buy one, I couldn't decide which one to purchase, so I never did. I finally decided that I needed a AAA keychain flashlight and that all my indecision was stupid, especially seeing as how most decent AAA lights only run about $20-50, so not a big investment.

Over the past couple of years, I kept a list of flashlights for consideration with two catagories: the single AAA keychain light and a single 18650 larger light. Going over the AAA's, I was tempted by the Maratac copper light, as I really like how aged copper looks. Also on the list was a recent version of the ThruNite Ti light, as they did a limited run of Titanium versions with the cool white Cree XP-L V4 LED. In the end, I decided to get the ThruNite. It arrived the other day and I have to say that I'm very pleased. 162 lumens on high may not seem like a lot compared to the 400-500 lumen 18650 lights out there, but I was surprised by how bright it is! In fact, I think that I'll probably use it most often in the 12 lumen low setting, as that was plenty bright in a darkened room.

Here's my new light. Absent any size context for the picture, it seems large, but is only 2.75" long.

-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JB3

Post by JB3 »

jabba359 wrote: In the end, I decided to get the ThruNite. It arrived the other day and I have to say that I'm very pleased.
Sweet jabba! Where did you get it?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

JB3 wrote:
jabba359 wrote: In the end, I decided to get the ThruNite. It arrived the other day and I have to say that I'm very pleased.
Amazon.
-Kyle

JB3

Post by JB3 »

jabba359 wrote:
JB3 wrote:
Amazon.
Got one and have been using it for a few months ... great little light, bright, and does not burn through charges/batts too quickly. Very impressed and carry it constantly now.
Lumenchristi

Post by Lumenchristi »

Thank you for the Flashlight, I have a flashlight habit along with a Watch, Knife and Handgun habit (probably why I am no longer married ) LOL I keep buying the lights because the lights keep getting smaller and the output keeps increasingmy nmost ecent purchase is approx. 6x1 inches and 1200 lumens
I love them
Thanks again
Lumen
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

JB3 wrote:Got one and have been using it for a few months ... great little light, bright, and does not burn through charges/batts too quickly. Very impressed and carry it constantly now.
I've been pleased with mine as well. It's been on my keychain since the day I got it and comes in very handy. While I tend to only use it in short duration scenarios, I'm surprised that I'm still on my first battery. I'm using an Eneloop AAA.

As far as durability, I was worried that the shiny, smooth surfaces were going to look ugly once they got scratched up, which was inevitable seeing as how it sits in my pocket with my keys. It really doesn't look too bad with all the little scuffs and scratches.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy this light again. For the price, it's been quite useful and has held up well. I don't know why it took me so long to add a mini flashlight to my EDC, but I'm glad I finally got around to adding one to my keychain.
-Kyle

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for keeping this thread going everyone :).

My favorite flashight to carry is an AAA just as it doesn't demand much from your comfort level. Even in a pocket floating around it's tough to notice, on a clip or dangler it's easy to put into the washing machine!

Of my AAA's my favorite thus far are Peak Eiger's. A wide range of brightness levels, LED temps, and the rustic charm that makes you feel it was made in shop class :p. I'll also mention that solid metals seem to wear better than HAIII simply as the chips and scratches aren't as glaringly obvious. Copper is my fave for the patina and thermal properties; brass isn't bad either. SS and Ti are durable but not quite as impressive for a flashlight metal. Then again, I don't think many LED's have been cooked with 1.2 volts :p.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Blerv wrote:Of my AAA's my favorite thus far are Peak Eiger's.
That copper AAA Eiger is sexy, but at $95 is a bit more than I'm willing to spend. Not that it isn't tempting though.
-Kyle

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jabba359 wrote:
Blerv wrote:Of my AAA's my favorite thus far are Peak Eiger's.
That copper AAA Eiger is sexy, but at $95 is a bit more than I'm willing to spend. Not that it isn't tempting though.
Yea they certainly aren't cheap. Part of that is the low volume production model and part is being made in America.

While Chinese lights seem much better on average than their knives (with exception to knives like the Tenacious) I think the more expensive domestics hold up a bit better over time. Peak's products are dinosaurs compared to a brand like Zebralight but I feel more like one as well with each passing day. :rolleyes: :p
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I was carrying an old Novatac for years. About a year ago I decided that I need small pocket light and got Logan. Unfortunatelly my expirience is not great. I am back to Novatac. It is upsetting that I cannot find a US made affordable light for my needs. HDS are fairly close (I do not need a bomb proof light), but about double of what I am willing to pay.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I like the simplicity of the Peak Eiger QTC - the more you tighten the head, the brighter it gets - easy! In fact, simplicity dictates the choice of all my flashlights now - I have a 2-mode Sportac triple in my Solarforce L2m for work, I *love* the 3 mode UI and ability to mode lock on my Lumapower d-mini-vx-ultra (now tiny as well as bright, as it's running on 18500), and now waiting on a Sunwayman v10a with infinitely variable magnetic control ring. It's certainly cheap being a late adopter.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

bh49 wrote:I was carrying an old Novatac for years. About a year ago I decided that I need small pocket light and got Logan. Unfortunatelly my expirience is not great. I am back to Novatac. It is upsetting that I cannot find a US made affordable light for my needs. HDS are fairly close (I do not need a bomb proof light), but about double of what I am willing to pay.
You aren't a Peak fan, right? Just asking as it pretty much meets your needs. TnC makes a variety of custom lights as well in the USA that range from like $112-$600. Not infinite brightness like Peak or HDS but well built and bright.
ChrisinHove wrote:I like the simplicity of the Peak Eiger QTC - the more you tighten the head, the brighter it gets - easy! In fact, simplicity dictates the choice of all my flashlights now - I have a 2-mode Sportac triple in my Solarforce L2m for work, I *love* the 3 mode UI and ability to mode lock on my Lumapower d-mini-vx-ultra (now tiny as well as bright, as it's running on 18500), and now waiting on a Sunwayman v10a with infinitely variable magnetic control ring. It's certainly cheap being a late adopter.
You and I are on the same page friend :). I have 3 Eigers and a few other small lights I never carry. Big ones are all P60 variants. My favorite UI for those is H/M/L without memory so it always starts on BRIGHT.