Volcano Grip vs Bi Directional Pattern on FRN?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Volcano Grip vs Bi Directional Pattern on FRN?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What are your various insights and thoughts on the older Volcano Grip texturing on the FRN handles vs the newer Bi-Directional texturing , say on the Enduras and Delicas and other models?

By simple direct examination it seems the BD Texturing is more complex and may offer a better overall grip than the Volcano, but I could be wrong.
Axlis

Re: Volcano Grip vs Bi Directional Pattern on FRN?

Post by Axlis »

I have plenty of experience with both formats, and, I think the bidirectional pattern is the best of the two.

I also really like the fish scale pattern on the Calypso Jr. Models, probably my favorite of them all.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SEF, I agree with you regarding bidirectional FRN seems to provide more tactile "grip" compared to the older volcano pattern FRN. Having said that, though, I tend to generally prefer the volcano pattern simply because it is less aggressive in my hand than the BD. Different strokes and all. The ol' volcano is fine in my book and looks pretty decent too to boot.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I really think the newer bidirectional FRN is much improved over the older Volcano grip. I would really like to see the Salt offerings move into yellow BD FRN scales used by the Delica and Endura. I'm glad to see new offerings like the Assist salt uses it. Sorry, no Volcano grip for me!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was a big fan of the pattern used on the Native lightweights. It's a shame that one didn't pop up on more knives.