Are there any plans for a SpyderFly Trainer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ProjectEva

Are there any plans for a SpyderFly Trainer?

Post by ProjectEva »

I'm sure it would be cheaper for many of us to buy a SpyderFly Trainer then to shell out cash for Band-Aids and Insurance Co-Pays for doctor's visits. We can't all be like Fred Perrin right off the bat.

Edited by - ProjectEva on 3/25/2004 12:46:37 AM
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Hi PE,

Welcome to our humble forum.

There are no plans at this time for a Fly Trainer but "never say never". I could REALLY use one myself LOL. Remember to be safe when practicing 'the dance'.

Intuition tells me even Fred Perrin started somewhere and improved. That he is jaw dropping to watch today- is a fact!

Joyce @ Spyderco
argyll

Post by argyll »

Until Spyderco produces one, you might want to look at Benchmade's butterfly trainer.

Best regards,

Argyll

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
death-bringah

Post by death-bringah »

Although it can tend to muck up your knife blade with adhesive-residue, another, less expensive method is to tape the edges of your knife...I have done this myself with Balisong and it works quite well.

As long as the tolerances of the knife are not such that there is no space on either side of the blade when it is closed.

You can find special tapes that won't leave crap on the blade.

This method is better for practicing the DEPLOYMENT of a Balisong, probably not so safe for practicing combat drills on a live person.

This also has the advantage of allowing you to train safely with the exact knife you'd be using in real life.

goodluck...d.
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

I'd probably buy the trainer well before the "live" blade version. That would be a Cruel marketing ploy; put out the trainer for a knife 3-6 months before the real thing.
Living in the P.R.K. I don't think the Spyderfly is available here.
dynaryder

Post by dynaryder »

antichristina

Post by antichristina »

let's see the "live" blades first guys. before we start it back up again.

Edited by - antichristina on 3/27/2004 2:37:21 AM
sal

Post by sal »

We do have some thoughts on the subject, but like AntiChistina said, Let's first get the live version in production and in the marketplace. It has been an interesting challenge.

Eric just received a US patent for the design, so it is somewhat unique. It is important to us that we don't copy a competitors design.

For us, it is a new mfg process.

sal