GoldenSpydie's every-other-day collection overview and pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Re: GoldenSpydie's one-a-day collection overview and pictures

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next, I bought two of the sprint run Native 5s in carbon fiber and S110V.

Time is limited now, so I will comment more on the Native design later. One of my N5s has been sanded down for a semi-glossy look--it is my carry knife, while the other one will stay NIB.

apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Nice mod! It looks way better then the original in my eyes. :)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks apollo!

Today we are up to a set of knives that I bought from a Japanese seller on Rakuten International. The first one to be featured is the Japanese market exclusive Everest Worker.

This Worker blade has a blue engraving commemorating a Swedish climbing trip to the top of Mt. Everest with blue Spyderco Delicas in 1991. The C01 Worker blade is factory installed in a C13 Pro-Grip handle with Kraton inlay.

This is the only Everest Worker that I have ever seen, and it was a steal at ~$120 shipped, like-new from Japan.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

The next Japanese-exclusive knife to be featured here is my Pearl Worker.

This one, unlike the Everest Worker, uses a regular C01 handle and clip (the Everest uses a C13 handle and clip). What makes this knife special is the factory embellished handle consisting of multiple pieces of white, gold, and black mother of pearl. This beautiful knife was produced only for sale to the Japanese market--it was never imported commercially into the United States. As far as I know, the only other person on this forum to own a Pearl Worker is rycen.

Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

On above picture the worker looks epic ... congrats!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Now that is a freaking amazing catch. You may have made some questionable knee-jerk buys in the past, but this one is not one of them. Talk about the spydie gents folder to end them all.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks Peter and tvenuto!

Today we have the last knife from this set of Workers--the Cocobolo Worker.

This knife features a C01 Worker blade in a C13 Pro-Grip handle (with a plain silver clip instead of the Pro-Grip's Kraton clip). Instead of a Kraton (rubber) inlay in the handle (such as on the Everest), G.Saki inlaid a beautiful piece of wood that I believe is cocobolo. Like the Everest Worker and Pearl Worker, this Cocobolo Worker is/was a Japanese market exclusive.

PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

That pearl Worker is definitely the tops. I'm usually not one for embellished handles (like, very very rarely), but that thing looks amazing. Awesome catch!
Space

Post by Space »

GoldenSpydie wrote:As far as I know, the only other person on this forum to own a Pearl Worker is rycen.
At least one more person owns the same knife :-)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Very nice, Space! The more pictures of these beauties, the better. :)

Today we are up to the P'kal.

This is a collaboration knife with Shivworks (I think?). It is designed entirely as a defensive blade with an Emerson opener and reverse-grip ergos.

I don't have any use for a P'kal, but I need one to have a complete collection of folders from Golden. I made custom burgundy linen Micarta scales for my P'Kal.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next up I found this C22 Michael Walker.

This Walker is the original version produced in Switzerland with polished carbon fiber scales and blue (anodized) titanium liners. It has a stubby, hollow ground blade and a weird clip (carries very high). Although it is extremely lightweight, I can't see wanting to EDC this knife for the above mentioned reasons.

However, the Swiss-made C22 Walker has become fairly rare, so I was thrilled to win this one on Ebay for a tad over $100. It is definitely used, and a lot of the anodizing has worn off, but I think that it was still a great deal. My Michael Walker is #049 from the original production run, and it has the "Klotzli" on the blade.

PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Next up I found this C22 Michael Walker.

This Walker is the original version produced in Switzerland with polished carbon fiber scales and blue (anodized) titanium liners. It has a stubby, hollow ground blade and a weird clip (carries very high). Although it is extremely lightweight, I can't see wanting to EDC this knife for the above mentioned reasons.

However, the Swiss-made C22 Walker has become fairly rare, so I was thrilled to win this one on Ebay for a tad over $100. It is definitely used, and a lot of the anodizing has worn off, but I think that it was still a great deal. My Michael Walker is #049 from the original production run, and it has the "Klotzli" on the blade.
Love it. It's on my wish list. Ever think about re-anodizing it? Is that even possible?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Even used, I think $100 was a great deal on that C22 Walker.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I'd actually call it a steal ;)

My ZDP C22s are ground thin and cut very well, the edge length is actually almost identical to a Delica. Since I normally carry it in my watch pocket where it is concealed by whatever shirt I'm wearing the clip position isn't a big issue.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks PayneTrain, Jabba, and NoFair.

I haven't forgotten about this thread, but I have forgotten to take new pictures. I will start it back up tomorrow.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Ok, I'm restarting the train of pictures, although I have been very busy with homework and I was unable to get a good picture.

Today we're up to the Spyderench.

The Spyderench was Spyderco's attempt to create a multitool. It is an interesting and unique design, featuring a blade (with round hole, of course), pliers, an adjustable wrench, a diamond file with phillips and flat screw driver heads, and 4 different screw driver bits that fit into the handle. All of this is held together with some clever locks and cool engineering.

This Spyderench was cheap because it had a broken tip, but I dropped the tip to restore a point using a belt sander. Although useful, the Spyderench is very heavy, and I can see why it was discontinued.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next I got this original Mini Manix.

The Mini Manix is also called the 80mm or 83mm Manix. It is the smaller brother to the C95 Manix, and like the C95, it is a discontinued Spydie with a 4mm lock back, made in Golden.

As many of you know, I really like the 4mm lock backs, so I was happy to add this one to the collection. It came from an international seller, from whom I bought it for a good deal on Ebay.

Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next, I continued collecting the 4mm lock backs by hunting down a Chinook 1 combo edge in 440V.

This Chinook is the original version with a different profile than the 2 and 3. This Chinook 1 is number 383 of the first run, which is interesting, because my G10 C25 Centofante is also number 383.

The Chinooks, designed by James Keating, are really awesome, solid, timeless designs. The Chinook 1 is the heavyweight brute of the family, and everyone needs to at least hold one once.

Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next up was a Native 1 sprint run in black G10 and blue shell.

This version of the Native 1 was made in a 500-piece sprint run with individual serial numbers. Mine is number 015, with a beautiful, blue shell inlay.

It was a nice surprise to find on Ebay. It had a little use and wear, but I am overall very pleased with it, especially because of the low price.

Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hmm..so was Spyderco messing with the idea of putting the number of the sprint on the blade? I'd be interested to know why they chose not to go ahead with that. Or was this just a one off?

Personally I prefer it without.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra