Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
IG-88

Re: Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Post by IG-88 »

kbuzbee wrote:
Bodog wrote:Wow man, I was totally in for a sprig until I saw the endeavour.
For you guys who handled them, which (would you think) would make the better paring knife? If either of them?

Ken
I would go for the Sprig! Its light and slender, ideal for foodprep, the Endavour is a more alround bushcraft style blade and has a much thicker handle. IMHO the Sprig will handle the fine cutting tasks better
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Bodog wrote:I'm really floored by the endeavor. I've already gone back to look at it at least three time. I just hope it's going to come with a sturdy sheath. I've broken several kydex g clip type sheaths and it's always a pain in the *** getting these kinds of clips to fit my belts just right. Either too loose or too tight.

I wish more sheaths came with police duty gear type clips with a small bar inside that is adjustable for different belt widths.
I'm guessing they'll use the same sheath as the Bushcraft (leather)?
C_Claycomb

Post by C_Claycomb »

I would bet that the Sprig would be a better paring knife than the Endeavour. It has a more nimble handle for kitchen use, and the blade is more favorable for that work. The Endeavour's is a touch deeper and less pointy.

Chris
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

C_Claycomb wrote:I would bet that the Sprig would be a better paring knife than the Endeavour. It has a more nimble handle for kitchen use, and the blade is more favorable for that work. The Endeavour's is a touch deeper and less pointy.

Chris
Which would make the endeavor better at spreading peanut butter! Guess it depends on what kind of chef we are. :p I will almost certainly need both. :rolleyes:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Thanks guys! That was my impression, but appreciate the confirmation.

Ken
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So I see a lot of S90V being used in the folders as well as the fixed blades. I guess this could still change between now and release, but did anyone at the meet recall S90V being confirmed for final release?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Liquid Cobra wrote:So I see a lot of S90V being used in the folders as well as the fixed blades. I guess this could still change between now and release, but did anyone at the meet recall S90V being confirmed for final release?
Unless something unforeseen pops up, I'm fairly sure that the steel you see depicted is the chosen production steel.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Bodog wrote:Wow man, I was totally in for a sprig until I saw the endeavour. That's a beautiful knife and looks functional and comfortable as all ****. If they produce it with a good steel befitting it's shape, size, and obvious function, I'm all in.

I seriously hope tptb read this and make this knife with something like cpm 4V.
Lol, they are totally different knives designed for totally different purposes. It's ok to like both and continue to be "in" for the Sprig. Unless of course, you really have no use for it and really had no real reason to want one in the first place other than "oooh it's new and everyone was talking about it".

I also like the Endeavor very much. Beautiful design and looks to be very functional. Mine would be more like a supermodel to fondle, a prize in my collection :D Def would get priority when I go backpacking and camping though.

The Sprig, I've been sitting on for over a year because I've actually wanted a Phil Wilson B&T to use as a fixed blade EDC user and as an all around the house utility blade. It should fill the purpose perfectly along with any actual game skinning and processing.
JohnyKwst

Post by JohnyKwst »

The Endeavor looks amazing!! Very excited for this one! In fact all the prototypes shown have been very impressive. Great job Spyderco!
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Razzle wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Razzle wrote:BD-1 any good?
BD-1 is a powdered version of Gin1, more or less. Is your google broken? :D :confused: ;)
Yes, my Google-Fu is no bueno.

Never experienced Gin1, is it any good, Google-masta?
Sorry .....not the Google-masta, but I'm happy to help out too :)

Gin1 is awesome dude!
It mixes well with olives and a little vermouth in making for an incredible old school Martini.
Stirred....not shaken. ;) :D

BTW ......did you previously go by the forum name "Horseloverfat" in a prior incarnation?
I remember that he had at one point expressed unhappiness and regret in the name he had initially chosen for himself which was based on a character in a Philip K. Dick novel.
Last edited by ManixFan on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

BTW......how about that Endeavour!
That was something completely unexpected......and also a very pleasant surprise!
Hopefully its not insanely priced....... because it would be very difficult to resist buying if it were to be priced in the Southfork ballpark.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Razzle wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Razzle wrote:BD-1 any good?
BD-1 is a powdered version of Gin1, more or less. Is your google broken? :D :confused: ;)
Yes, my Google-Fu is no bueno.

Never experienced Gin1, is it any good, Google-masta?
It is often frowned upon in this high carbide era but it was Spyderco's bread and butter back in the day. Is it good? I would say yes, in many ways it is. I have not used BD1 but it is fairly new. I believe in the not better, just different philosophy of steels. Easy to sharpen and corrosion resistant are not bad things. Also, I am not a steel snob and enjoy steels that others scoff at. A classic slip joint in 1095 or a Swiss Army Knife in whatever they use are both steels that can meet my expectations in many ways. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE some 204P and other great steels but I don't have issues with older and simpler steels.

There are a ton of steels in this class and the knife industry has relied heavily on them for years. Por ejemplo:
http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/st ... hrn=1&gm=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that it is important to note that the Ronin and Reverse are not meant to be EDC blades and they are purpose built self defense tools. This means that the target market is not knife afis like ourselves who geek out on steels, have good sharpening skills and spend decent amounts of money to have the best. These knives are meant to go into the hands of martial artists and self defense practitioners so as a result using a steel that is more affordable, easier to sharpen and is tried and true makes a lot more sense. In addition it should be tougher than some new super steel making it, at least in theory, more reliable as a self defense tool.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

urg...not looking forward to being so broke after many of these come out. Going to have to buy a bigger display case.
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

FCM415 wrote:
Bodog wrote:Wow man, I was totally in for a sprig until I saw the endeavour. That's a beautiful knife and looks functional and comfortable as all ****. If they produce it with a good steel befitting it's shape, size, and obvious function, I'm all in.

I seriously hope tptb read this and make this knife with something like cpm 4V.
Lol, they are totally different knives designed for totally different purposes. It's ok to like both and continue to be "in" for the Sprig. Unless of course, you really have no use for it and really had no real reason to want one in the first place other than "oooh it's new and everyone was talking about it".

I also like the Endeavor very much. Beautiful design and looks to be very functional. Mine would be more like a supermodel to fondle, a prize in my collection :D Def would get priority when I go backpacking and camping though.

The Sprig, I've been sitting on for over a year because I've actually wanted a Phil Wilson B&T to use as a fixed blade EDC user and as an all around the house utility blade. It should fill the purpose perfectly along with any actual game skinning and processing.

It's all about funding and being able to justify expenditures.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

My bank account is already creaking like a Spanish Galleon in full sail at the thought of so many nice things coming out. :)

Must haves-
The Lil Lum is still up there from bazillion pages back.
The Lil Temp 2 is another must have.
The Nirvana was truly something special- it had a heft and left a serious impression in the mind after handling.

Possibles and pauses for thought:
The Sprig was truly evolved- it spoke of very long and careful development over years, because everyone who I spoke to said it felt like it had been made for them. That's the mark of real incremental improvement and not far from perfection.....But I'm not in the habit of carrying or using fixed edges outside of the kitchen, so it stays a possible

The Endeavour I'm not digging on, simply because bushcraft knives leave me lukewarm.
No dig at the design and build, which were superb- it's just not my thing
swigert

Post by swigert »

demoncase wrote:My bank account is already creaking like a Spanish Galleon in full sail at the thought of so many nice things coming out. :)

Must haves-
The Lil Lum is still up there from bazillion pages back.
The Lil Temp 2 is another must have.
The Nirvana was truly something special- it had a heft and left a serious impression in the mind after handling.

Possibles and pauses for thought:
The Sprig was truly evolved- it spoke of very long and careful development over years, because everyone who I spoke to said it felt like it had been made for them. That's the mark of real incremental improvement and not far from perfection.....But I'm not in the habit of carrying or using fixed edges outside of the kitchen, so it stays a possible

The Endeavour I'm not digging on, simply because bushcraft knives leave me lukewarm.
No dig at the design and build, which were superb- it's just not my thing
Nice hing about the endeavor is FFG. Will be a much better all around blade than the current bushcraft
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Sooo.. As I perused back thru the so far posted dream list.. This is whats on it.. GB2, Lil Lum, Lil Temp2, Nirvana, Raven2, Blue Roadie, Endeavour.. This is just a WISH list for now and the foreseeable future as my financial standing my change drastically soon!! :( John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

srr wrong topic **** that phone :D
Last edited by apollo on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I really like the Endeavor. I hope the price point is reasonable for ME.