What is the Tuff's edge angle?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Geno

What is the Tuff's edge angle?

Post by Geno »

I need to know what the degree per side or inclusive edge degree is on the Spyderco Tuff. I am asking this because I want to know if it is 40 degrees or under so I can use it on my Sharpmaker.
Cliff Stamp

Re: What is the Tuff's edge angle?

Post by Cliff Stamp »

All of Spyderco knives come at slight varying edge angles. Even if the Tuff has a specific edge angle that was the goal, there is no guarantee that yours was not more/less. There is a real easy way to know if the Tuff you have will sharpen on the Sharpmaker without a regrind, you just have to attempt it and see what happens.

If you are wanting to know on one you have not bought, there is no way to guarantee it. However I would say based on owning literally dozens of Spyderco's that the odds that you get one which is evenly ground on both sides, along the entire edge which is less than 20 degrees, is not good. This is why the first time people sharpen they often run into troubles with one side or the other one part of the edge not sharpening.
Geno

Post by Geno »

Anybody else have experience while trying to use their Tuff on a sharpmaker or other sharpening system that is set to 40 degrees? I would love to know if it hit the apex of the cutting edge.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I hit the apex fine on mine at 40 degrees, though they may not all be the same because they're all ground by hand and no human being is perfect. The Schempp Tuff is definitely one of my all time favourites.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Geno

Post by Geno »

bump
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

If I remember correctly, mine was over 40 deg incl at some points along the edge.

I sharpened it soon after I received it on the Edge Pro to 30 deg incl, and I had to take off a fair amount of steel with the 120 grit stone. The aim was to lower the angle to be able to run a 40 deg micro easily with future sharpenings.

My advice is to be prepared for bevels over 40 deg incl. Even if they are just under that, and you sharpen a few times at 40 deg incl, you will thicken the edge quickly and will have to reprofile to a lower angle anyway.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Geno

Post by Geno »

bump
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I put mine at 21 dps on the edgepro. This did not require much reworking to get it there so it came very close to 20dps (40 inclusive)
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Stock edge angle is a pet peeve of mine. Even CRK doesn't get this right.
It's ironic that with all the high end makers out there now, the Buck 2000 program is still the only time I've heard of a manufacturer, any manufacturer, advertising a specific edge geometry.

For now, everyone should just get a large extra coarse stone and be prepared to re-profile every knife you get.
Geno

Post by Geno »

Its a very bad pet peeve of mine too seeing as the only sharpening tool I have is a sharpmaker and its very hard to use on anything else but something that has 40 degrees inclusive or less.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Like Joshua said, all you need is an inexpensive carborundum stone, available at hardware stores. Use that to get the bevel under your 40 degrees so you can maintain the edge with the Sharpmaker.