Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Post by Surfingringo »

ManixFan wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
gbelleh wrote:I don't know about the Mamba. On first impression, it looks a little like a fantasy wizard knife from a mall kiosk (though much higher quality). I'd really like to see it in person. Probably a lot better actually in hand. Maybe it'll grow on me?

I do like the Lil Temp 2 a lot!
Maybe a little, but that thing is calling to my inner ninja...HARD! :D

Seriously, I think the design has a bit of that look but with enough class to pull it off. I like it and I'm usually the guy who tends to lean toward the utilitarian and mundane. Can't help myself though, this one is just a beauty. :)
Cool.....we are in complete agreement on this one! But as I recall from your past postings.......you once were saying that opening a flipper made you feel a little self conscious ......almost like you were a magician performing a magic trick? Yes, I do read and enjoy most of your posts. :)

(Sorry if my memory on that post isn't what I am thinking - feel free to correct me, I don't want to be putting words into your mouth)

So is this the knife that finally makes you feel comfortable pulling rabbits out of a hat? ;) :D
Hah, actually, the flipper was the only turnoff for me on this one. At least it's got a functional looking spyder hole. But whatever, this knife is so nice looking i'm actually able to imagine using that flipper. Thwack....Tah Dahhhh. :p
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

twinboysdad wrote:I wonder if Sal could be begged into making a small run of the Lil T2 in green as an homage to us Spydergeeks? Like 200 or so?
I thnk they should make them all green. It's a lil temperance after all.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Surfingringo wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:I wonder if Sal could be begged into making a small run of the Lil T2 in green as an homage to us Spydergeeks? Like 200 or so?
I thnk they should make them all green. It's a lil temperance after all.

Agreed. I say add another digit or two to that 200 number!

At quick glance, to me the Lil Temp 2 looks like a stubby SuperLeaf. And I like that!

Mamba is beautiful... stunning proportions and lines... but I may spend my coin elesewhere. We shall see.

Excellent photos and chosen angles, Mr. Blonde! Gives a great feel for what it may be like in person. And good ideal for size of scale with the bead, even though I don't own one.
Going back to Caly.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

tvenuto wrote:The ergos on the Mamba were, to me, like a slightly more hand-filling Manix XL, which is to say: completely amazing. I imagine it would feel large in the pocket because of this, but it was a stunning specimen. I'm just really not sure where the heck I'd use the darn thing.
Thanks for the info on that one! It's much appreciated and this one will be a must have for me. I really hope that this one won't also terrorize my bank account too much though :(

It sure is an attention grabber but the blade size isn't too bad, I carry my 710 quite a few places and the blade size is about the same, if not so aggressively styled......unless of course it is the knife laws in your area that might create potential issues for you.

Ok, I'm taking your name off the list........just don't call me Francis, :eek:
.......or tell me to lighten up :(
I'm sensitive about my weight these days, and that would just be mean. :p
(You've got to thank Darby for that "Stripes" reference :) )
Last edited by ManixFan on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I definitely got the Superleaf vibe from that Seki-made black G10 comp lock VG-10 Lil Temp 2 as well Speedholes...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

Great, I can see that I won't be finishing any projects this year. If this is just a taste of what's on the way I can't wait for this weekend.

So far the GB2, Ion, and Lil T2 are must haves for me. The Lil T2 is my favorite so far, it does remind me of the persistance a little but with a longer blade. This might even calm my need for a smaller PM2 (I still want one though). It should make the "under 3 inches please" guys very happy.

While nice, the Mamba just isn't for me. Someone nailed it on the head, it's kind of wizardly fantasy looking. It's huge, a 5.71 inch handle is just way larger than anything I'd be willing to carry or use. It looks more like a collector than a user, but that's just me. Did I mention that it's huge?

The Lil T2 with green scales would be cool, I will probably buy two of the black scaled version though. I see it becoming a big seller because of the size and Compression Lock.
Donut

Post by Donut »

One of the things that was unique about the original Lil Temp was the 440V. I wonder if this one will be available in ZDP.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

I'm excited for the Swayback. If it ends up close enough to Slysz's original model, I'll likely be in.

MCM

Post by MCM »

The Mamba came out perfect!
Walter was blown away by the ability of the maker.
He had the knife from the show for a few days the week before the show.
He called me up and could not believe what a great job they did on this one.
Way to go Walter and Spyderco! :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

They just keep getting better! :D

My top 3 so far:

1. Lil' Temp 2-
Awesome little knife. I've been bugging Sal about for a while, and it really is my perfect knife. <3 blade, compression lock, G-10! What's not to like?

2. Mamba-
I was very surprised with this one. It totally looks like a custom knife with a spyder hole. I was just wondering what a Spydie would look like with a two-tone blade. Now I know! I'll have to pick one of these up... Even if the price is pretty steep! :)

3. Gayle Bradley 2-
I've been considering the GB1, but never pulled the trigger. The GB2 seems to be a perfected version in every way, so I'll have to wait! I'm pretty excited for this one!

Matt
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

OMG Mamba!

I was starting to fall asleep with what was being posted. That Mabma just woke me up! That is the most wicked looking Spyderco i have ever seen!
I looks like it is going to be expensive; Contoured CF, Ti liners. Probably Rubicon and Lionspy price range. I'm going to have to sell a kidney to get one!
Someone posted earlier that this looks like a shopping mall, fantasy, el cheapo knife. I agree, it sort of does, however i can't keep my eyes off of it :D

JD
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Lil'Temp 2 ? No thank you ! I own the good old Lil'Temp in 440V, grooved green G10 handle.Enough said.
Mamba ? Stunning apearence,but I pass.So far, only Ion rings a bell for me.
I am looking forward for the Mantra series.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall Sal mentioning recently that they use black on prototypes and then change the colour for the production proto's/initial run.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
swigert

Post by swigert »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall Sal mentioning recently that they use black on prototypes and then change the colour for the production proto's/initial run.
I think he said that can be the case. But not always. He will need to ring in on this one.
FDE

Post by FDE »

mastiff wrote:Great, I can see that I won't be finishing any projects this year. If this is just a taste of what's on the way I can't wait for this weekend.

So far the GB2, Ion, and Lil T2 are must haves for me. The Lil T2 is my favorite so far, it does remind me of the persistance a little but with a longer blade. This might even calm my need for a smaller PM2 (I still want one though). It should make the "under 3 inches please" guys very happy.

While nice, the Mamba just isn't for me. Someone nailed it on the head, it's kind of wizardly fantasy looking. It's huge, a 5.71 inch handle is just way larger than anything I'd be willing to carry or use. It looks more like a collector than a user, but that's just me. Did I mention that it's huge?

The Lil T2 with green scales would be cool, I will probably buy two of the black scaled version though. I see it becoming a big seller because of the size and Compression Lock.

The Lil’ Temperance 2 doesn't satisfy my lust for a smaller PM2 but it does look intriguing. I'll will have to give one a try for sure and perhaps it will make the wait for a smaller PM2 more bearable.

Things I like about the Lil Temp 2
-Overall blade shape and size
-Smoothed out finger grooves on handle
-Symetical g10 slabs
-Loss of the old bulky clip

Things I don't like
-I would've prefer a wire pocket clip on this model so the option of deep carry clip was available
-The proud hardware but this seems characteristic of G10 Seki made knives

Why I still NEED a 2.75-3" blade length Paramilitary 2
-I must have a finger choil
-I really enjoy seeing "Golden, Colorado U.S.A. Earth" on the knife I carry daily
-Countersunk, flush fasteners and pivot
-I love me some S30V, Sprint steels are awesome too!
-More pocketable than current PM2
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:One of the things that was unique about the original Lil Temp was the 440V. I wonder if this one will be available in ZDP.
Are you already calling for sprint? :)
BTW, I never understood a love for 440V. I was very glad, when I found S30V variant.
Last edited by bh49 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I really love the look of Mamba. The knife is gorgeous. But it is huge. Probably I will scare **** out of people, if I will start to carry and use on public something like this. Possibly I will buy it, if I will have enough of spare cash.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Lil Temp 2, Looks good, would be a nice addition, but:
Not too much change from the First One, I don't think I'll bite. I have the the "old" one. :)

Now the new Southard, an out of the ballpark winner. WHEN DOES COME OUT? :D
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Invective

Post by Invective »

bh49 wrote:
Donut wrote:One of the things that was unique about the original Lil Temp was the 440V. I wonder if this one will be available in ZDP.
Are you already calling for sprint? :)
BTW, I never understood a love for 440V. I was very glad, when I found S30V variant.
I had a 440V Lil Temp but sold it, although I still have 440V in three other Spydies. I love it as a steel though, I use it for outdoors work and never clean off the blades. No rust or anything at all on mine. I think it's been about a year and 3 months since I cleaned the gunk off my 440V SE Native and it still looks good.

S30V is nice, but 440V to me seems like a nice step in between S30V and S90V
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

gbelleh wrote:
I'd definitely prefer green.
Same here, partly to make up for overlooking earlier versions, in particular the leaf one. What was I thinking, or not?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”