Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brad S.

Re: Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Post by Brad S. »

Well shoot! Those photos of the Ion are awesome! Thanks Wouter
elena86

Post by elena86 »

RamZar wrote:Ion looks fantastic. Okay with the S30V but why is the blade length not just under 3 inches to make it legal in many more localities!?
For some of us , I dare to say for most of us, legality is not an issue. Ion is perfect as it is. Great job Brad S ;) I thank you for your exquisite designs .
lionesser

Post by lionesser »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Folks!

The ION looks absolutely nice. In my eyes it is an updated/improved version of the Southard folder.

Everything looks better with the ION: blade shape, handle shape, pocket clip. :D

Maybe some CTS-204P for the final production version? :rolleyes:
Seconds on the CTS-204P part, been waiting to try this steel in a smaller folder. Ion looks pretty sleek.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Great to see a wire clip on the Ion, IMO. Hopefully that makes production. Not the sharp spike type design of the Southard.
Going back to Caly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Oh man! That Little Lum is truly awesome!!l I will DEFINITELY get a few of those. Good gosh, this is my favorite design so far. :D
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Thank you, Wouter. These are amazing photos.

The Ion is magnificent.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Brad S. wrote:Well shoot! Those photos of the Ion are awesome! Thanks Wouter
Hey Brad, haven't seen you around in a while. That Ion does look sweet.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Wow, that ION is a beauty! See.......I do give positive feedback as well as critical feedback ;)

I was never a fan of the Southard......just my opinion :rolleyes: and even though I liked the all black one aesthetically - the feel in hand and the slower flipper action (as compared to my Domino) just didn't do it for me. I am glad that Brad has put something like this out and can't wait to handle it (pun intended) - but I agree about the steel comments others have made. S30v is alright but I think that I would prefer CTS-XHP which is probably in the same ballpark for cost I'm thinking. I also really hope that it is a lot more affordable than the Southard.

People have also been mentioning the blade length and I don't see it posted.....perhaps I missed it. Can anyone post what the blade length of this knife is?
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

The Ion is a must have! The Southard Folder just didn't catch my interest, frame locks and a single scale on one side just aren't for me. I wanted a flipper but all the Spydies were smooth on one side, which puzzles me to no end. I want texture all the way around. Symmetry is a big deal for me too, I'm just weird that way. The Ion is great, I will have one when it's released!

The GB2 and Ion are just awesome! It's going to be painfull to wait for sure. I hope at least one is released this year!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Click thread/scroll/no new pics/move on.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Ion does look great, but the only thing that concerns me is the back end looks pretty sharp (like the pointed G-10 backspacer on the Rubicon). It looks like it could jab you if your hand runs into it when clipped in the pocket. Maybe it's not really as sharp as it looks? I really like the jimping style and the clip on the Ion.

The Lil Lum looks nice too, but something other than black would be nice on a little one like this. Maybe a nice cranberry G-10?
:bug-red-white
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

GB2 definitely beats the old one for aesthetics but I think I'll stick with my original for ergos and my uses. That Ion is interesting...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Wouters finger looks awful close to that blade on the Lil Lum and no choil...anyone know how big his hands are? Still digging it though!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

gbelleh wrote:The Lil Lum looks nice too, but something other than black would be nice on a little one like this. Maybe a nice cranberry G-10?
If this one sells as well as I think it will, I don't doubt we may some day see it dressed up a little. I think nishijin suits this one well but I like your idea too, were you thinking smooth G10?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

tvenuto wrote:If this one sells as well as I think it will, I don't doubt we may some day see it dressed up a little. I think nishijin suits this one well but I like your idea too, were you thinking smooth G10?
Smooth G-10 would be a nice callback to the originals. But peel-ply would be ok too. I'm not really a fan of Nishijin, but I'm open to other materials.
:bug-red-white
swigert

Post by swigert »

Evil D wrote:Click thread/scroll/no new pics/move on.
Yup...
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Edit
Last edited by ManixFan on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

That'll Lil Lum is absolutely gem-like in the hand....it's a perfectly shrunk-i-fied Lum, and feels superb.
Yes, that got a double-underlined in my notepad at the meet and an expectation that dosh being spent :)
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

mastiff wrote:The Ion is a must have! The Southard Folder just didn't catch my interest, frame locks and a single scale on one side just aren't for me. I wanted a flipper but all the Spydies were smooth on one side, which puzzles me to no end. I want texture all the way around. Symmetry is a big deal for me too, I'm just weird that way. The Ion is great, I will have one when it's released!

The GB2 and Ion are just awesome! It's going to be painfull to wait for sure. I hope at least one is released this year!
I agree with everything you said here 100%. Though I have strayed into the "single scale" blades a few times because I liked the blades and wanted to try a flipper. Mike
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

ManixFan wrote:People have also been mentioning the blade length and I don't see it posted.....perhaps I missed it. Can anyone post what the blade length of this knife is?
Overall Length: 18 cm / 7.09 inches

Blade Length: 8 cm / 3.15 inches

Closed Length: 10 cm / 3.94 inches
Last edited by hoimin on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.