Help with new knife purchase

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Help with new knife purchase

Post by benben »

Hey guys, did a count last night and I own 21 Spydercos. I haven't bought a new one in a while and I had a list of 4 different ones I wanted in no certain order.

*Manix lightweight S110V.
*Orange Dragonfly.
*Sage3.
*Yojimbo II.

I ordered and received the S110V Manix around 2 weeks ago, awesome ! For most people it could be the "one" knife ! I'm going to order the orange Dragonfly today. So that leaves the Sage 3 and the Yojimbo. Just curious who owns both of these, I would like to hear which one you like the best or carry the most. It would be for edc and just general knife use. I do already own a Sage 1 and I love it, its a great knife. I would be ordering the S3 just for the lock. As far as the Yojimbo being strictly a SD knife, I carry a Glock and a Spyderco everyday. I Just like the way the Yojimbo looks, its made in the USA and has a compression lock. Whats not to like? So which one first, the S3 or the Yo? And before anyone says it, I will eventually have both. Thanks.
tvenuto

Re: Help with new knife purchase

Post by tvenuto »

A tough choice. I own both, and I'd have to say it really depends on what you want to be different at the moment.

The Sage 3 bolt action lock is just phenomenal. I could open and close it slowly all day. This is a great all around EDC knife, and is probably what I'd recommend based on your question. HOWEVER, the ergos are very much like the Sage 1 (obviously) and are fairly standard for spyderco.

The Yojimbo offers a change of pace for me ergo-wise. It's definitely different than the somewhat standard 50/50 choil of other spydercos, and I find it refreshing to use for this reason.

So those are my thoughts. If forced to say I'd have to choose the Sage 3, but you really can't go wrong with either.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'd go with the Yojimbo 2 first simply because you already have a model from the Sage series.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'd also go with the Yo2 first, only because you already have a Sage. But IMO, the Sage 3 is a slightly better all-around EDC knife.
:bug-red-white
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

My vote would also be for the YO2, every collection should have at least one, it's just one of those knives, the blade shape is very utilitarian not just self defense, it is a little wide in the pocket but not terrible.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
remnar

Post by remnar »

If you know that you'll eventually have both, then go with the one that you can find in stock at the best deal. The YO2 can be hard to find sometimes. If you do find one at a good price, then you may want to snatch it up.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

remnar wrote:If you know that you'll eventually have both, then go with the one that you can find in stock at the best deal. The YO2 can be hard to find sometimes. If you do find one at a good price, then you may want to snatch it up.
Yea that's actually something to consider. If you have a line on a Yo2 in the ~$100 neighborhood, then pull the trigger!
benben

Post by benben »

Good answers, thanks everyone. Looks like I'll probably be ordering a Yojimbo soon. As tvento said, can't go wrong either way.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Id go Yojimbo next if I were You
benben

Post by benben »

Pretty much unanimous in favor of the Yojimbo. Think we should page Mr. Janich and get his thoughts. You all make good points, the Yojimbo will next. Thanks again.
swigert

Post by swigert »

benben wrote:Pretty much unanimous in favor of the Yojimbo. Think we should page Mr. Janich and get his thoughts. You all make good points, the Yojimbo will next. Thanks again.
On a totally different thought, My Dad grew up in Gastonia and worked at Tony's Ice Cream, Im sure you know the place.

We visited a few years ago and just Yesterday i was telling a co worker about Ro's BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, SO GOOD!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manix 2 S110V is the perfect EDC for me until they make me one in solid G10 with no liners.
benben

Post by benben »

Wow, that's funny swigert. You visited God's country, I'm surprised you left! Tony's ice cream, RO's bbq, Black's bbq, (same family). I think those just may have been the first three businesses here in Gaston Co ! My daughter plays fastpitch travel ball and we played a huge NSA tournament in Greensboro, NC this past October. I was coaching third base and the field ump walked up to me and ask where we were from, said he had never seen us before. I told him Gastonia and he got this big smile on his face and said "do you know where Tony's ice cream is"? Yes sir.....
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:Manix 2 S110V is the perfect EDC for me until they make me one in solid G10 with no liners.
Hey Evil, didn't you recently get a Sage 3 ? I know how you feel about your Yojimbo. How do you compare the two?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

benben wrote:
Evil D wrote:Manix 2 S110V is the perfect EDC for me until they make me one in solid G10 with no liners.
Hey Evil, didn't you recently get a Sage 3 ? I know how you feel about your Yojimbo. How do you compare the two?
Pretty tough comparison, they're quite different knives. It would be easier to compare the Sage 3 with the Manix 2. But, if I had to compare the Sage with the Yo 2, I'd say the Sage is definitely more versatile, while the rest is pretty much left up to preference. The ergos are great on both, and the locks are both great but have very different action. If I could only pick one I'd definitely pick the Yo 2 though...it's just way up on my favorites list and I've learned to adapt a wharnie to my EDC needs. However, I would pick the Sage 3 over many other very popular knives, like the Native 5 for example.
benben

Post by benben »

Thanks Evil, appreciate your input.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Yeah the G -10 with liners is quite heavy for its size. I prefer the larger Manix 2 XL with the lighter liners actually. I've also noticed that every Manix 2 G-10 that I've handled seems to have a blade that is stiffer to open, whereas the XL blade tends to be easier to deploy. I don't know what to attribute this issue to. Perhaps the liners ?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HorserloverFat wrote:
Yeah the G -10 with liners is quite heavy for its size. I prefer the larger Manix 2 XL with the lighter liners actually. I've also noticed that every Manix 2 G-10 that I've handled seems to have a blade that is stiffer to open, whereas the XL blade tends to be easier to deploy. I don't know what to attribute this issue to. Perhaps the liners ?
It was my understanding that the new Manix 2s all have skeletonized liners...could be wrong. I wouldn't say liners are effecting stiff opening..probably either just the odds of picking stiff knives vs. loose, or perhaps the extra weight of the XL blade increases inertia and makes opening easier.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Per the product description in the catalogue the Manix 2 G-10 liners are described as " full " and the Xl as " lightweight " . Anyway, the PM2 that I recently acquired makes up for it in the fun to deploy department.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Yojimbo 2, sprint , if findable