Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Post by bearfacedkiller »

twinboysdad wrote:The GB 2 is very 550 Griptillian in appearance, not a bad thing, just my first impression
c03.jpg
The 550 griptilian looks like that classic Spyderco Hunter (and all it's offspring) which basically means…

…the GB2 is a Spyderco that looks like a Benchmade that looks like a Spyderco. Sorry if I crossed the shiny footprints line. :p
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
swigert

Post by swigert »

I see the Griptillian comparison, however, and nothing against BM at all, the Grip is not even close to being in the GB class. And they aren't that far away in price :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Why doesn't Spyderco do this in the U.S.?
I'm jealous! I admit it :o :( :spyder:
Firstly, I must say that us US folks are really blessed when it comes to this hobby. Just a brief description of what the EU folks have to go through to get these knives had me crying on the inside. We whine about anything more than 60% MSRP; they're lucky to get it for anything close to MSRP after import duties, shipping etc. Also, in the US there are many distributors and that keeps prices competitive. From what I understand, in many EU countries there is only one distributor and they have a monopoly on what you can get in B&M stores there (thus avoiding import duty and shipping). That's not to say EU people are getting universally gouged, but there are many circumstances preventing them for getting knives at the prices we have access to. So you're jealous of them this once, and they're jealous of us the whole rest of the year. I had no concept of this before speaking with them, so I just feel the need to relay how blessed we are in the US.

I talked to Sal a bit about it, as I had the same question, and this meet stems from when he was visiting his European distributors. Amsterdam was a good central hub to visit different places. Obviously when they were smaller cost was a concern, and he would stay there and do a day trip to several different countries over the course of a few days. Not sure how this morphed into the Amsterdam meet with showing the protos to the ELUs, but that's the basis for why it's held there.
Very good :)
I knew good and well Sal has his reasons. But, thanx again for such a good detailed explanation.
Lol, I'm just wanting so badly to be able to experience it.
I'm just gonna have to make time to go one year.
And, I'm still jealous of you too Troy ;)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Looking again at the GB 2 closed, that hole looks tough to get to, but no tougher than a Native 5 I suppose
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

twinboysdad wrote:Looking again at the GB 2 closed, that hole looks tough to get to, but no tougher than a Native 5 I suppose
I just made the same comment to my wife. ;) I wonder how difficult it is to articulate the blade with that "hump" in the way?
paladin

Post by paladin »

Handle ergos of the GB2 are going to be considerably different than the BM Grip...heft will be better balanced on the GB2, IMHO

M4 with Spyderco's HT have been excellent in the past, safe assumption they will be equally good on this model...

Just some differences I noted, but I see the resemblance with the Grippy also. Good eye Twins! :)
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

elena86 wrote:Hey Mastiff, you and Charlotte, shower toghether ? :)

Nah, she likes to lay right in front of the door though. I can't tell you how many times I've tripped over her. The Mastiff is right, she won't go near a small space, except for cars. She only likes those because she gets treated to fast food when we go to the vet. Usually chicken nuggets or plain double cheese burgers.

As far as what's been released so far the GB2 is my only want, and I want it bad. It changes the one thing that held me back from the regular GB, an enhanced finger guard. It's a must have for sure. The only change I'd make is a wire pocket clip, the GB2 is to classy for the same clip that goes on a Delica IMHO. Even if that's not changed I'm still getting it!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

GB2 looks like a winner! I'm kind of bummed that they ditched the choil. I really appreciated the subtle choil in the original design. I'm sure my eyes and mind (and hand) will adjust quickly though. On the positive side, is it just me or does the tip on this one look a bit more pointy than the gb1? Looks like the spine has a little less "hump" up towards the tip. I hope so because the lack of a pointy tip was about the only thing I didn't like about the original.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Man, sign me up for a GB2! I have been waiting to get a GB(1) and have come close a couple times but haven't pulled the trigger. I haven't added to my collection in a good long while...
mattman

Post by mattman »

Is the GB1 going to go away, then?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

mattman wrote:Is the GB1 going to go away, then?
Yes this is a replacement.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I wonder if the 2 can be modded to have a choil.

Also, it would be nice to see a size comparison of the 1 vs 2.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

mattman wrote:Is the GB1 going to go away, then?
I would imagine the answer to this is yes once released. I have bought like 4 or 5 gb1 and sold them all. This seems to fix EVERYTHING i disliked about the 1!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

The only one that interests me so far is the GB2 like many others, I wonder how tough the liner lock on the 2 will be, that's the only thing I don't like about the GB1.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Almost forgot, many thanks Mr Blonde for putting this thread together, its fantastic.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."

Post by 1623 »

The GB2 looks fantastic, like it'll melt right into the hand. The detail grinds on the lock bar are a nice touch as well.

Thank you for putting this one up early and not keeping us in suspense. ;)
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

twinboysdad wrote:The GB 2 is very 550 Griptillian in appearance, not a bad thing, just my first impression

Lol, are you on bladeforum, too?
I wrote nearly that exact reply over there. Crazy.
Going back to Caly.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

farnorthdan wrote:The only one that interests me so far is the GB2 like many others, I wonder how tough the liner lock on the 2 will be, that's the only thing I don't like about the GB1.
Liner lock is plenty strong. What were you hoping for instead? Just curious.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Popsickle wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:The only one that interests me so far is the GB2 like many others, I wonder how tough the liner lock on the 2 will be, that's the only thing I don't like about the GB1.
Liner lock is plenty strong. What were you hoping for instead? Just curious.
I was actually hoping for something a little less stiff and easier to access, it could just be that my GB1 is still new and needs to be broken in a bit more, I know GB designed the liner lock the way he did intentionally but it sure is a bear on mine.

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

farnorthdan wrote:I was actually hoping for something a little less stiff and easier to access, it could just be that my GB1 is still new and needs to be broken in a bit more, I know GB designed the liner lock the way he did intentionally but it sure is a bear on mine.
Yea I found this one hard to disengage as well. I prefer a lock access cut-out, but some designers prefer the increased security of no cut-out. Obviously there are many GB1 fans and I don't think this one is any harder than that one, just not my preference.