Where the Hole?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Librarian

Where the Hole?

Post by Librarian »

K08BK_L.jpg
K05RD_L.jpg
K04BL_L.jpg
303_enfield

Re: Where the Hole?

Post by 303_enfield »

It's in your hand if your not careful. As SWMBO says, "That blade is scary sharp". Then she took her fingertip off. What a fun night :)
Always looking for the right one :)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Those Spyderco kitchen knives are so nice.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Librarian,

We re-energised a relationship with a maker that we used to work with years ago. MBS-26 is an exclusive steel to them. We began with the original tooling and molds to re-create the original models, but have plans to refine the designs. We already have the new designs and they do include a hole. The new refinements, we believe will be nice, and we'll be making the changes slolyover the next couple of years. Adding a hole to a kitchen knife is a very challenging project with regards to food. The geometyry will be imoortant.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

303_enfield wrote:It's in your hand if your not careful. As SWMBO says, "That blade is scary sharp". Then she took her fingertip off. What a fun night :)
Hi Enfield,

Please extend my apologies to your SWMBO. :o

sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Why would you need a hole on the kitchen blade. It only will make difficult to clean the knife.
sal

Post by sal »

We need the hole in a certain location for a trademark. Some companies add a hole to hang the kitchen knives on hooks.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bh49 wrote:Why would you need a hole on the kitchen blade. It only will make difficult to clean the knife.
A hole would definitely add a place for gunk to collect. I was very, very, pleased that the new Kitchen Sharps knives don't have holes in the blades.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:We need the hole in a certain location for a trademark. Some companies add a hole to hang the kitchen knives on hooks.
sal
Sal,
I understand trademark issue, but I am very glad that none of my 7 Spydeco Kitchen knives do not have them. In my honest opinion, if kitchen knives will have small hole like all fixed blades, it will be difficult to clean them completely, unless use a special tool, which will go into hole. A large hole would solve this issue, but probably will not look right.
Roman
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote: I was very, very, pleased that the new Kitchen Sharps knives don't have holes in the blades.
+1
I am enjoying my new Santoku.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Is the Santoku one heavy-enough to use for heavy-duty chopping of meats with bones such as beef and pork ribs, or probably better to use it for lighter-weight food cutting?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Is the Santoku one heavy-enough to use for heavy-duty chopping of meats with bones such as beef and pork ribs, or probably better to use it for lighter-weight food cutting?
It's a Santoku which, to me, means it has more in common with a Chinese cleaver than with a meat cleaver. Blade thickness is just over 2mm. I would not use mine for chopping meat with bones, and would advise against such use.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

The announcement that future kitchen knives will have trademark holes makes me to place my order now. I respect and share Spyderco's business decisions in many aspects, but a hole (only for trademark) in a kitchen knife is even more no-go as the same hole in other fixed blades. It has no function and is no help in use. Other people may and will think opposite and they have every right to do so :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
FDE

Post by FDE »

Peter1960 wrote:The announcement that future kitchen knives will have trademark holes makes me to place my order now. I respect and share Spyderco's business decisions in many aspects, but a hole (only for trademark) in a kitchen knife is even more no-go as the same hole in other fixed blades. It has no function and is no help in use. Other people may and will think opposite and they have every right to do so :)
+1
sal

Post by sal »

bh49 wrote:
sal wrote:We need the hole in a certain location for a trademark. Some companies add a hole to hang the kitchen knives on hooks.
sal
Sal,
I understand trademark issue, but I am very glad that none of my 7 Spydeco Kitchen knives do not have them. In my honest opinion, if kitchen knives will have small hole like all fixed blades, it will be difficult to clean them completely, unless use a special tool, which will go into hole. A large hole would solve this issue, but probably will not look right.
Roman
It is a challenging dilemma for sure. We're currently working on the optimal size hole and optimal hole/wall geometry to make cleaning easy. If we can do it right, then we might even win some like you and Peter. :)

sal
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

Put the hole in the tang. Problem solved, everyone happy. ;)
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

Hole or no hole is fine. Every kitchen should have a brush that will clean it. Now, about the handle, can it be made beefier? Guess the old Dexters ruined me.
Last edited by 303_enfield on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always looking for the right one :)
notos&w

Post by notos&w »

I purchased my wife the 6" kitchen model about a week ago. My wife LOVES it. She wants to throw away all her others to replace them with Spydercos. She's a convert.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

sal wrote:If we can do it right, then we might even win some like you and Peter. :)
And you are the winner, no matter what happens ... Spyderco kitchen knives will fly in my kitchen in any case :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
sal

Post by sal »

Hi notoS&W,

Did you get her the serrated version or the plain edge version?

sal