Wegner Jr.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fredswartz

Wegner Jr.

Post by fredswartz »

Don't know why this knife has never been produced as a sprint run. I don't believe that Tim Wegner's website even lists this variation anymore. One of my all time favorites that introduced me to Spyderco knives. I had a full sized Wegner but the Jr. Was my favorite.
simyo

Re: Wegner Jr.

Post by simyo »

I think its because Tim Wegner went on to create blade-tech and they still offer the pro-hunter Jr(which is the same size as the Wegner Jr.) on their site.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

simyo wrote:I think its because Tim Wegner went on to create blade-tech and they still offer the pro-hunter Jr(which is the same size as the Wegner Jr.) on their site.
That, compounded by the fact that the relationship between Mr. Wegner and Spyderco ended on less than cordial terms.

OTOH, Tim Wegner sold the rights to the design that became the Ocelot to Spyderco, outright. That means a Sprint Ocelot, which is about the same size and shape as the Wegner Jr., would be possible.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The small was smaller than the Ocelot. It was very nice, I had one in my hand, and didn't buy it. I think back on that and get upset. Nice knife. The Ocelot has too thick a blade, that annoying jimping near the tip, and the paw cutouts going against it. Refined, it would be nice. I sure like how the large Wenger feels in my hand.
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

The Deacon wrote:
simyo wrote:I think its because Tim Wegner went on to create blade-tech and they still offer the pro-hunter Jr(which is the same size as the Wegner Jr.) on their site.
That, compounded by the fact that the relationship between Mr. Wegner and Spyderco ended on less than cordial terms.

OTOH, Tim Wegner sold the rights to the design that became the Ocelot to Spyderco, outright. That means a Sprint Ocelot, which is about the same size and shape as the Wegner Jr., would be possible.
Hi Paul, the other way around, we gave up all rights to Tim's design to Tim. We have no plans to make any of Tim's designs in the future.

sal
joe58

Post by joe58 »

I too liked the Jr.

Years back I had one and stripped out a pocket clip screw hole. I sent it in for repair but at the time they couldn't repair it and the model was already discontinued. So they replaced it with another knife. Very nice of them I thought. But in retrospect now, I wish I'd of kept the Wegner. Lol.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:

But PLEASE!!!! Without the footprints this time :rolleyes: It just blew me away that they designed that Ocelot for a hunter folder but everyone I talked to that actually used it for that purpose told me that the knife got to stinking on them really bad because it was almost impossible to get all the grime from the animals removed.

I see no purpose in the footprints at all. To me they were sort of childish and a severe sanitation problem to say the least. Just a OCELOT model with a good G-10 or Micarta handle I would stand in line for. But to **** with those silly footprints :mad:
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Let's add some pics...

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:Let's add some pics...

Marcus I should have known being this model is out of the GOLDEN ERA that you would indeed have one ;) >> I bet you got the C-48 ( the bigger Wegner model) as well :cool: Again there is just something about those models out of the GOLDEN ERA that just flat out demand respect :cool: ]
It was also out of the elite ATS-34 era as well. Very cool blade design>> the only hunter folder I liked of Spyderco's better was the Impala. If we can't have a Sprint of either one of the Wegners then let's lobby for one of the Impala.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

The footprints on the handle was Tim's design. He wanted to make them himself at his new factory (Blade-Tech). He actually made some protos, round hole and all. He never asked is if he could use the design or our trademarkes. :rolleyes:

I had commited to the footprint design earlier and followed through with my commitment. Probably not the best mfg method in hindsight, but we did make a beautiful knife.

sal
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

More pics :)

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

sal wrote:
Hi Paul, the other way around, we gave up all rights to Tim's design to Tim. We have no plans to make any of Tim's designs in the future.

sal

This is sad to hear. :(
I really enjoyed the designs and ergos. Too bad the situation couldn't have been better or worked out differently, and we might have seen a return of a similar model...

I for one do really like the jimping near the tip, like the Jester also...
Sal, is there any possibility of seeing that spine jimping on any other future models?

Not to pry any deeper into what sounds like some issues, but was that unauthorized proto Tim made himself the "Trakker" model with the compression lock and 3d contoured green handle??
Going back to Caly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:Hi JD,

The footprints on the handle was Tim's design. He wanted to make them himself at his new factory (Blade-Tech). He actually made some protos, round hole and all. He never asked is if he could use the design or our trademarkes. :rolleyes:

I had commited to the footprint design earlier and followed through with my commitment. Probably not the best mfg method in hindsight, but we did make a beautiful knife.
Mr. Glesser I re-read the post I made that you responded to and I must apologize :o I really didn't mean to sound as caustic as I did concerning the old OCELOT model>> but I did indeed love the OCELOT design a great deal and those footprints just killed it for me :( . And I just never saw the practicality in those footprints even though it did make it look interesting>> now if they would have just been embossed on the surface and not have those deep holes it wouldn't have bothered me at all. But it did make for some radical cleaning chores for that model if you used it for hunting or fishing.

So now that you've made it clear that we just can't have a Sprint Run of the Ocelot which I'm deeply disappointed to hear>> what about the possibility of a Sprint Run of the IMPALA model or maybe even considering the IMPALA as a candidate for the H-1 Salt Series?? Because the IMPALA was pretty much my favorite hunter/folder that you all produced and as much as I dearly liked those Wegner models I would rather see the IMPALA return in some form. There are a lot of Spyders you could use as a hunter/folder but there was something special about the Ed Scott IMPALA model.
sal

Post by sal »

SpeedHoles wrote: I for one do really like the jimping near the tip, like the Jester also...
Sal, is there any possibility of seeing that spine jimping on any other future models?

Not to pry any deeper into what sounds like some issues, but was that unauthorized proto Tim made himself the "Trakker" model with the compression lock and 3d contoured green handle??
The jimping near the tip wasn't very popular.

Correct on the "Trakker"

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

No worries, mate.

We'll watch the thread on the Impala.

sal
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

sal wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote: I for one do really like the jimping near the tip, like the Jester also...

The jimping near the tip wasn't very popular.

Correct on the "Trakker"

sal

Much appreciated on the reply. :)

But again, sad to hear... :( understood though. I guess that's why the Jester was phased out for the Bugs instead.
Going back to Caly.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Thanks for the clarification, Sal.

I have a small Wegner. I don't carry it very often for one reason - the Spydie Hole is too small to open comfortably. I think the folks in Golden have refined the geometry and placement of the trademark hole a great deal in recent years. All the modern Spydies - even most of the smaller ones - have very useable thumbholes with an edge with just the right amount of "bite" for good traction.

TedP
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

sal
Apologies Sal, guess I was confused. I've been under the impression that, while Tim now had exclusive rights the C48, C49, and Mouse designs, Spyderco "owned" the Ocelot design and could produce it again if you felt there was a market.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm hoping that the impala can be revived. I do want an ocelot but I'd prefer the impala.