Delica Torx screw troubles..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lost

Delica Torx screw troubles..

Post by Lost »

Ok, I have bought two different brands of Torx drivers/bits and have ran into the same problem on both. The Torx screws on the clip and on the scales are all size "T6" except for the pivot screw which is T8. The T8 bits on both of my sets fit perfectly into the pivot screw with no wiggle room at all, but I can't say the same for the T6.. There is so much wiggle room between the T6 bit and screw, it almost seems like it's in between a T6 and T7.. Decided to take apart a delica that I had recently aquired and ended up stripping one of the scale screws after not putting enough pressure on the screw to assure the bit didnt slip. Anyone else have this problem with the scale/clip screws? What Torx set are you using if not? Now I have the fun of trying to get a stripped Torx screw out of a G10 Delica without completely destroying the scale.. Thanks in advance.
farnorthdan

Re: Delica Torx screw troubles..

Post by farnorthdan »

This is the set I use Lux, its made by Wiha

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Lost

Post by Lost »

farnorthdan wrote:This is the set I use Lux, its made by Wiha

I'm also using Wiha..

Do your T6 bits fit snug?? I can put the T6 bit in all of the handle screws in every one of my Delicas and wiggle the driver back and forth. I have about 8 different delicas and it happens on all of them. I have a Kobalt set also that I got from Lowes, same problem. The T8 fits great in the pivot screw.. But lots of play in the T6 handle screws. :confused:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

My T6 is a little loose but not too sloppy, just have make sure it's flat in the pocket, maybe heat a little before trying to loosen.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've removed the clip from almost every Spyderco I carry, and moved it to accommodate left hand carry on the rest. For the ones that have Torx screws I've used a Husky Torx set from Home Depot most of the time, and either a Kobalt set from Lowes or a Wiha set the rest of the time. I've never had a problem removing T-6 Torx screws and have never needed to switch drivers to find on that fit.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
joe58

Post by joe58 »

I had issues as well with sloppy fitting torx bits until I followed the advice and went to Wiha. Also, be sure your seated as deep as possible, and straight on, not angled at all. On a nice flat surface. And when re tightening, don't go crazy. Just snug. It's pretty easy to torque down too much as you've more leverage than you realize using a bit in a screwdriver handle.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

+1 for wiha drivers.

In the past I had an issue with the scale screw closest to the pivot, stripped one with my kobalt torx set. Luckily it's stripped but in tight and one of my beater delicas so I hope it never gives me any trouble as it was tight but stripped as I tried to go tighter. After this I purchased a wiha torx set.
Lost

Post by Lost »

I appreciate all the responses. Bunch of great info givin out by you guys. Looks like everyone so far can pretty much agree that Wiha is the way to go in terms of Torx drivers/bits. I agree also, they have been problem free up until this point. Just seems to me the T6 Torx screw openings are actually a little larger than they should be. Thanks everyone.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I'll go a little out on a limb and say that if you're using a Wiha T6 and the bit is loose in the fastener head, the problem is that Spyderco got a batch of bad screws. It happens. A few years ago Chris Reeve made a post at BF about all the time and trouble that small fasteners caused him. I may be mistaken, but I think your post is the second one in a couple of weeks mentioning this problem. I think everyone wrote the other case off to the tool, but as I said, if I were betting on the Wiha tool or the screws as the culprit in this case, I'd bet that the problem is the screws.
JBE

Post by JBE »

When removing or re-installing screws place the knife on top of a firm, foam pad that is on top of a hard surface, e.g. the foam insert that comes with the knife in the box, mouse pad, etc. Use straight up and down pressure. For a loose fitting T6, find a thin rubber band (or other thin piece of rubber, like off of a latex glove), place over the screw and insert the driver into the torx screw through the rubber (if that makes sense). It creates a tighter fit and helps keep the screws from stripping. Make sure it's a pretty thin piece of rubber/latex because those torx screws are small. Hope this helps.
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

I have always used my husky form the home depot and never had a problem.
endgame

Post by endgame »

allways use wiha best around.hinderer advertises on his sight cause he hates when customers strip screws and wants him to fixem.it just seems wiha fits perfectly without stripping.they feel good in hand and lock sid into the screw head wich is very important.I bought three sets in all sizes to fit all my different knife hardware and havent stripped a screw since.go wiha
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Another vote here for Wiha. :)

My designated Go - To Torx Set is the Wiha 363 HM7. :cool:

Simply the best Torx set I've ever used.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

In my experience, the problem isn't with bad screws, but with the fact that the T-6 is small and offers a small surface area at the contact points in the screw head. One trick that I've used is to very carefully grind a little bit off the tip of the tool. Since the body of the tool is tapered, grinding a little bit off takes you into the thicker portion of the steel and creates a slightly larger "star" that fits more snugly in the screw heads. Go very slowly, don't overheat the steel, and try the fit often. If you go too far, there's no going back.

Stay safe,

Mike
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Good tip from Mike Janich there. I've done the same to improve fit of Robertson (square) driver bits. Overheating a T-6 tip is VERY easy to do because they are so small. Tiny drivers rely very heavily on the heat treatment for their strength.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

As stated before, file the T6 down slowly until it's tighter.

For the one you munched - super glue a bit to the screw. Let it dry.

Obviously you're gonna need a new screw and bit.