Meadowlark 2 - different Versions?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
mondieu

Meadowlark 2 - different Versions?

Post by mondieu »

Hi,

i recently bought a Meadowlark 2 FRN plain here from Amazon Germany.
Though the opening was very scratchy and far from smooth (tried to fix it with oil/teflon spray, dissasembled the knife, cleaned it etc., didn't help. seemed to me that the material of the lockback hook was to soft so the amterial of the blade grinded it).
So i requested a new knife for replacement from Amazon, what they sent me.
Now I have both here in comparison and there are some obvious differents between these two knives. (The new one opens fine and smooth) First the axis screw is a T7 on the old vs T8 on the new. Then the spring for the lockback on the new one is shiny vs black/unpolished on the old one. Also the labeling on the blade is different in font and different darkness.

So Im asking myself if there are differnt versions of the Meadowlark 2 and/or differnt qualities of the used material?
sal

Re: Meadowlark 2 - different Versions?

Post by sal »

Hi Mondieu,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for posting.

I'm guessing that you have an older version as well as the newer version. We are always refining and improving our models. In the case of the Meadowlark, we acutally changed makers. While the China made knives offer good pricing, we are still working with them to improve quality.

sal
mondieu

Post by mondieu »

Alright, thx for the answer, Sal.

I'm really satisfied with the replacement knife and I already ordered a Cara Cara (and in the near future I think a original Spyderco will arrive here as well).
tntnfree

Post by tntnfree »

Then the spring for the lockback on the new one is shiny vs black/unpolished on the old one. Also the labeling on the blade is different in font and different darkness.
We provide guarantee to pass spanishprograms.com gmat with online exam training spanishprograms - learning spanish for free itil and you can also get best quality rosettastone mcat along with mcat for your guaranteed success.
tntnfree

Post by tntnfree »

Then the spring for the lockback on the new one is shiny vs black/unpolished on the old one. Also the labeling on the blade is different in font and different darkness.
We provide guarantee to pass spanishprograms.com gmat with online exam training spanishprograms - learning spanish for free itil and you can also get best quality rosettastone mcat along with mcat for your guaranteed success.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Got a G-10 coming!! Could not pass thiun!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

Well, I have one and comes with T6 on the shaft. Good knife.
Greetings
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I had a frn Meadowlark and i was prety disappointed.It was an ok knife,but it felt cheap-light years away from my beloved Delica.It got lost (or stolen in the gym locker room) and i never felt the need to buy a new one.Until now,when the titanium version came up.Any of guys had that one already?
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I am interested in trying titanium models, but if you haven't tried the G-10 Meadowlark, Cara Cara or Robin you are doing yourself a disservice. Solid, attractive and good performers. Only thing I would change is to add the G-10 option to the Hawkbill which is basically the Meadowlark platform.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I have Endura & Cara Cara 2 FRN.
IMO, the cheap feeling is caused more by the handle being more squarish and the bidirectional texture is sharper.
Some sandpaper rubbing solves that.

I check the rigidity of the construction by holding one open by thumb & one finger at the center of gravity, swing / rotate the knife. I find it's as solid as the feeling from doing the same with an Endura.
Chris :spyder:
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Not only the bidi texture was sharper,but the border around the handle bites into your hand.
I should try one G10,just for good measure.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.