The Spyderco Starmate

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

The Spyderco Starmate

Post by MacLaren »

I feel as I made a huge mistake last night. Sports Authority had a flash sale of 25% off until midnight last night. I received the email around 9? At any rate, could have got the Starmate for $140 shipped. - And FYI, the Temperance 2, could've been had for $146....so, a good sale indeed. Now, I would really like to get our members input,thoughts, experience etc on the Starmate. If I could please. Its funny as when I considered my first Spydie, it came down to my Vallotton and the Starmate. Of course at the time I did not belong to any forum. I just picked the Vallotton because I liked it a little better. It was certainly a tough decision. That being said, I really look forward to and appreciate comments,thoughts,experience etc on the Starmate. Thank you all.
Barman

Re: The Spyderco Starmate

Post by Barman »

Starmate is a good sized beefy blade.
It uses Teflon washers, edges are a little uncomfortable, the lanyard tube rattles and the sharpening notch is unfinished and rough.
I liked the Teflon washers so that's no issue and the other 3 listed I remedied myself.
It's a nice carry just wish the new model came with a partially serrated edge like the older ones.
Barman

Post by Barman »

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=59351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some examples it this thread.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Barman wrote:Starmate is a good sized beefy blade.
It uses Teflon washers, edges are a little uncomfortable, the lanyard tube rattles and the sharpening notch is unfinished and rough.
I liked the Teflon washers so that's no issue and the other 3 listed I remedied myself.
It's a nice carry just wish the new model came with a partially serrated edge like the older ones.
Thanx man :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Barman wrote:http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=59351

Some examples it this thread.
Perfect.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I love the design, but passed on the knife due to numerous comments, that F&F on the new model was below expectations. Hopefully Spyderco's contractor corrected the issues. Please, do search and you will find at least couple threads about this issue. $140 is a very good price. I beleive that it was a few bucks less on Amazon during period of time between Cyber Monday and Christmas.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bh49 wrote:I love the design, but passed on the knife due to numerous comments, that F&F on the new model was below expectations. Hopefully Spyderco's contractor corrected the issues. Please, do search and you will find at least couple threads about this issue. $140 is a very good price. I beleive that it was a few bucks less on Amazon during period of time between Cyber Monday and Christmas.
Yup. Could've gotten a Tuff for $215 during that time.
Thanx Roman.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

MacLaren wrote: Yup. Could've gotten a Tuff for $215 during that time.
Thanx Roman.
Starmate is $149 now, which is not that bad. Tuff is $221.
I overspent back than. :(
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bh49 wrote:
MacLaren wrote: Yup. Could've gotten a Tuff for $215 during that time.
Thanx Roman.
Starmate is $149 now, which is not that bad. Tuff is $221.
I overspent back than. :(
Wow. The Tuff, has really came down again. They're selling them cheaper ( a lot) than Amazon themselves.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

The Starmate has the kind of blade that I like, with a keen point but the point also seems to be fairly strong. I like the size overall. I have not seen one in person but I understand it has a fairly thick blade, I would hope not too thick.

I have tried to buy one a few times but missed out. I don't go out and buy one now because I already have too many knives in my EDC rotation. Plus if I liked it as much as I think, I wouldn't want it to displace some of my other good knives.

I have read about F&F issues. If I buy a knife to use I don't worry about whether it is perfect or not.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Great topic, MacLaren! The Starmate happens to be one of my top five favorite Spyderco designs of all time. I was fortunate to have purchased mine back around '02 for about $102 + change. (And I suppose I probably thought that was too costly back then, lol). I have always felt the Starmate was a perfect fit for my hand (even more-so than the ever-popular PM2 and Manix 2). I have heard from some folks that the newer version of the Starmate had some QC issues. I have only handled a few of them, so I can't personally vouch for that. Despite that, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up (especially if you can look it over and handle it first). I don't carry mine anymore simply because I'm afraid of losing it. :(
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx Spydernut. Ill more than likely get one. I love the design and VG10. Its just a really nice looking Spydie imo.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

MacLaren wrote:Thanx Spydernut. Ill more than likely get one. I love the design and VG10. Its just a really nice looking Spydie imo.
Not a problem. :) I have a feeling you would really like this design. The Starmate is one of few models I wouldn't make any changes/modifications to. Just perfect in its own regard, IMHO.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SpyderNut wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Thanx Spydernut. Ill more than likely get one. I love the design and VG10. Its just a really nice looking Spydie imo.
Not a problem. :) I have a feeling you would really like this design. The Starmate is one of few models I wouldn't make any changes/modifications to. Just perfect in its own regard, IMHO.
No doubt. I love the Starmate. As a matter of fact, my dealer just sent me some pics of one. Dead centered, but still a little unfinished on the ricasso? At any rate, I went ahead and got her. I have a good feeling I'm gonna be very happy with the Starmate :)
He said no blade play whatsoever, but, she did have noticeable lock stick. But, I believe that'll go away with breaking her in? Its nice to have a dealer that will help like that. He's the same guy I bought my Black Southard from.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Well done, Mac! And welcome to the Starmate Family. You'll have to post some pics when you get her in. :D IIRC, a few folks mentioned having a "rough ricasso" on their new Starmates awhile back. Seems like this was more of a common "issue" on the newer models from what I've heard. (I imagine you could probably smooth it out using a fine-toothed file or even some 350-400 grit sandpaper). As for lock-stick, I have found that using a tiny bit of Remington bore action cleaner works wonders in removing the "stickiness" from Liner-Locks. You can generally find this at Wally World or even Gander Mountain, etc.

Again, congrats on that knife, Mac. You will love it! :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SpyderNut wrote:Well done, Mac! And welcome to the Starmate Family. You'll have to post some pics when you get her in. :D IIRC, a few folks mentioned having a "rough ricasso" on their new Starmates awhile back. Seems like this was more of a common "issue" on the newer models from what I've heard. (I imagine you could probably smooth it out using a fine-toothed file or even some 350-400 grit sandpaper). As for lock-stick, I have found that using a tiny bit of Remington bore action cleaner works wonders in removing the "stickiness" from Liner-Locks. You can generally find this at Wally World or even Gander Mountain, etc.

Again, congrats on that knife, Mac. You will love it! :)
Awesome! :)
And, thank you. I really appreciate that.
I plan on taking a lot of photos for this one.....
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I hope you enjoy it! I don't mind the rough ricasso, or slight rattle of the lanyard tube. But I don't like that my Starmate has no closed retention at all. That's the only reason I don't carry it anymore. One day, I might get around to sending it in to Spyderco to see if it could be improved.
:bug-red-white
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

gbelleh wrote:I hope you enjoy it! I don't mind the rough ricasso, or slight rattle of the lanyard tube. But I don't like that my Starmate has no closed retention at all. That's the only reason I don't carry it anymore. One day, I might get around to sending it in to Spyderco to see if it could be improved.
Thank you :). I really hope I do.
No closed retention. That's not good. It sure wouldn't hurt to see what they could do...
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Mine has a very weak detent. Also the blade is too thick behind the edge for my liking.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I've never handled the newer version, but the old version is awesome.