Disappointed with my first Spyderco knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hoshikaze

Re: Disappointed with my first Spyderco knife

Post by Hoshikaze »

Archimedes wrote:I gave you some of the best advice you will ever get.
And that was as useful as giving a comb to a Chinese monk.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Hoshi, I feel this maybe the start of a very long friendship.
Hoshikaze

Post by Hoshikaze »

Archimedes wrote:Hoshi, I feel this maybe the start of a very long friendship.
No worries, I'm not really active on forums.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Hosh, your tone and demeanor was fine and you are entitled to your opinion. Sal (the owner) and other moderators from Spyderco read this stuff and the feedback is helpful to them. This must be a busy time of year at Spyderco or else Sal may have chimed in himself. He still might.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Hoshikaze wrote: Not all the paint wore off, I sanded it all off and made do with it.

I did hear that the wear would be bad, but I did not foresee that it would be this bad. It is a shame as I would really have preferred the black clip.
The Endura and Delica type clips do have a kind of weak coating, it almost seems like paint. I've read that some manufacturers do a cerakoted clip.

The Military has a pretty tough finish on it.

One of the toughest finishes I've ever seen on a clip is the one on the Gayle Bradley, it almost seems like titanium anodizing. The Stag Arms Manix also came with a pretty cool coated clip.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Hi Hoshikaze welcome to the forum.

It is to bad you got a delica in that way. I must say it is just plain bad luck.
Between januari 2013 and now i bought,sold and traded over 60 spyderco's and only 1 of them did not make me a happy man. (Kiwi 4 also made in Seki)

I do want to point out like the guys already did above that the seki city knives are more of a entry level the way i look at them.
Seki will never be able to make a knife like a slysz bowie or a Rubicon. Not in a million years if you ask me.
Now they do make very fine knives but seki is really more of a factory made for speed and 1 step lesser for quality.
Golden is the one making the high quality knives. And thaichung they do not make knives they make legends! :)

Now i am a huge Golden fan but i really must say my heart wants more thaichung models :) (My Wallet on the other hand bites me when i say this)
But back to the point youre delica really is one that fell true the cracks. If you buy 10 spyderco's today i am sure all 10 will amaze you. :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Archimedes, welcome to the forum.

Have you seen the "shiny footprints" thread, which is located directly above the thread that you posted in?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Apollo, your kiwi was made by Moki. Different maker than the Delica although Moki seems to be having some troubles too.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Donut wrote:

Have you seen the "shiny footprints" thread, which is located directly above the thread that you posted in?
Thank you for the welcome. I am sorry. I did not think I was rude. I just read a post and I was kind of in disbelief. He bought a knife on Amazon but can't return it because group buy organizer won't help him. I was kind of lost right there. Did he buy the knife on Amazon or was it a group buy? What is the advantage of a group buy through Amazon. I am confused. I felt like he was trolling because he seemed so unhappy and nothing was going to help and no solution was going to work. Anyway, I do not mean to rock the boat if calling it like I see it is a problem. I will give Hoshi the benefit of the doubt. He seems like a good guy. Maybe, I was just kind of reading to much into it.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Hi, Hoshikaze, I'm tuning in late here, but glad to see that you're getting most of the problems resolved. I also started out on the forum when I had a problem with a knife, the second one in my case, also from Japan. Mine was by far the most expensive knife I'd ever bought and I was a little put out to have anything at all wrong with one that expensive. I was met by a drove of people all trying to help me (no one suggested that I move along :) )and I've had very few quality control problems since, a couple of slightly uneven grinds, but they're hand ground and usually correct pretty soon with sharpening.

Over the last couple of years I've tried to sample Spydercos of many different types, materials, designs, and countries of manufacture. Some people give the nod to Taiwan, especially Taichung, for best Spydie fit & finish and some favor knives made in Golden, CO, USA, but I've found that the Japanese knives I've tried compare very well with those. I've also tried some from China and Italy and found their F&F to be surprisingly great.

When you're trying out different brands, you might want to try some Spydies from different countries -- sometimes their designs and materials are so different it's almost like getting a different brand. Just be careful, you may become obsessed with them like some of the rest of us ;)

About your clip, sometimes a clip can get very slightly bent in the area around the screw holes. This may be hard to notice and may keep the screws from tightening well. It might be good to check and make sure the little flat area around the 3 holes is planar. Other than that, if the screw holes are the right size and spaced properly and the screw heads are shaped right, I can't think of anything else that could make the clip move right after being tightened.

I hope you'll keep us posted on your future knife experiences.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Hoshi, welcome to the forums first of all. Back when I was at the stage of my knife habit that you are in currently, getting that delica would have pissed me off and disappointed me to no end. Can't blame you for that. It was your first "good" knife, and it didn't live up. I get it. My first spyderco was an endura, and fortunately for me, it was perfect.

I can offer you some advice however. I've been around the block when it comes to knife buying. I've owned everything from cheap spydercos, benchmades, kershaws, and opinels, all the way up to $500 midtechs and $2000 customs. I've owned tons of zero tolerances, benchmades, and spydercos including both their highest end models, mid tier models, and cheapest models. The reason why I keep coming back to spyderco is for their high standard of quality, but mainly for their unmatched value in the knife industry. They are also willing to make some insanely high value limited editions, and knives with materials not used anywhere else by production companies. I'm sure that as your knife habit progresses, you will come back to spyderco not for the sole reason of giving them another chance, but by sheer virtue of the products they are offering that you can't get anywhere else.

I wish you the best in using the **** out of your delica and finding out just how good of a performer it is. Cheers
Last edited by Strong-Dog on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

double post
Donut

Post by Donut »

Archimedes wrote:
Donut wrote:

Thank you for the welcome. I am sorry. I did not think I was rude. I just read a post and I was kind of in disbelief. He bought a knife on Amazon but can't return it because group buy organizer won't help him. I was kind of lost right there. Did he buy the knife on Amazon or was it a group buy? What is the advantage of a group buy through Amazon. I am confused. I felt like he was trolling because he seemed so unhappy and nothing was going to help and no solution was going to work. Anyway, I do not mean to rock the boat if calling it like I see it is a problem. I will give Hoshi the benefit of the doubt. He seems like a good guy. Maybe, I was just kind of reading to much into it.
Yeah, I agree with that, to me it seems odd. He said that he is international. I've shipped things international and sometimes it can cost $25 to ship to Europe (priority, which comes with $70 of insurance). The round trip would cost as much as the knife.

It is possible that it isn't cost effective to return it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Decided I'd post this here......pretty ironic since hash mentioned aftermarket clips but sucks for me....I just ordered an aftermarket titanium clip for my new ZT since I hate low rider clips like it came with and USPS tracking says it was "delivered" today....no sign of it anywhere in the mailbox or porch. Hoping one of my neighbors comes around with it but for now I'm out about $25. Pretty upset with this one, so hash buddy, in the knife community something crappy happens to all of us sooner or later. Anyway, hope that you give spyderco another try sometime and hope my clip shows up!!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Donut wrote: Yeah, I agree with that, to me it seems odd. He said that he is international. I've shipped things international and sometimes it can cost $25 to ship to Europe (priority, which comes with $70 of insurance). The round trip would cost as much as the knife.

It is possible that it isn't cost effective to return it.
You also have to remember that here in Europe we also have to pay tax and import duty on the item and the shipping price :( So the shipping price can make a big difference to the overall price. Luckily there are some dealers that will ship standard international for free which makes a huge difference. If you are sending something to western Europe then your delivery will be pretty safe, I have never experienced mail fraud/loss. In my experience, priority and standard take the same amount of time to get here (usually 7-10 working days). My new Native just got here in 6 working days :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, there seem to be a lot of rules in many different places in Europe. =\

I sent out a Christmas gift to someone in Italy First Class, and someone stole it. I sent another one Priority and it made it. (It's probably not so much country related, but area related.)

The way I understand it, the Postal Service gives $70 of insurance with Priority and they can hold the person who delivers it responsible if they have to pay out $70 to the customer. So... the person delivering the mail won't just leave it on the front step, they will make sure that the person get's it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Archimedes wrote:Hey Hoshikaze. How about you mosey along. I can't even fill a bag of groceries for what you paid for that knife. You are being trivial. It looks like you have thousands of dollars in all that computer equipment in the back round of your Delica pictures. Plus, the camera you took the pictures with. Please spare the sob stories about "no money" for a tourist. I wish you the best on your journey.
Archimedes, your reply is not in the spirit of the Spyderco forum. If these are the kinds of posts you consider helpful, I suggest you reconsider whether you belong here. Hoshikaze brought his concerns here and that is one of the functions of the forum. Continuing to haze him through the thread as others offer real advice is not helpful. You do not speak for the majority and I really don't think you should be asking anyone to leave.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

araneae wrote:
Archimedes wrote:Hey Hoshikaze. How about you mosey along. I can't even fill a bag of groceries for what you paid for that knife. You are being trivial. It looks like you have thousands of dollars in all that computer equipment in the back round of your Delica pictures. Plus, the camera you took the pictures with. Please spare the sob stories about "no money" for a tourist. I wish you the best on your journey.
Archimedes, your reply is not in the spirit of the Spyderco forum. If these are the kinds of posts you consider helpful, I suggest you reconsider whether you belong here. Hoshikaze brought his concerns here and that is one of the functions of the forum. Continuing to haze him through the thread as others offer real advice is not helpful. You do not speak for the majority and I really don't think you should be asking anyone to leave.
Hold on. I make a mistake and I am new here and you ask me if I belong here. After my mistake was asking if Hoshi belonged here? I did not personally attack Hoshi.

So a guy comes here and bashes a 40 dollar knife with a changing story and you support him. I come here supporting Spyderco and make a mistake and you ask me to leave. After I posted above, I probably read to much into it. Thank you for the welcome.

If some one wants to take the time and do the work to ship Hoshi a clip from the USA let me know I will pay for the clip and pay the shipping and send who ever is willing to do the work cash through paypal. But, my guess is the clip just needs a little loctite and tightening after owning FRN Spydercos.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

One last thing, I know I can come across as an arrogant A-hole. I guess, I forget that we all live in different worlds. I am truly blessed, as a 40 dollar knife is what I toss in the trash can on the way to the airport. For Hoshi it probably is a lot of money. So I will use this as a lesson to be more considerate.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Archimedes wrote:One last thing, I know I can come across as an arrogant A-hole. I guess, I forget that we all live in different worlds. I am truly blessed, as a 40 dollar knife is what I toss in the trash can on the way to the airport. For Hoshi it probably is a lot of money. So I will use this as a lesson to be more considerate.
Don't worry about it Archie, water under the bridge :)

I paid about $100 for my Delica so the next time you go through the airport instead of throwing your knife in the trash can, try and mail it to me :p

Generous of you to offer to send Hoshi a new clip, someone did that for me a while ago after a freak dog accident, still very grateful for that :)

btw I'm sure Sal will welcome both you and Hoshi to the forum when he gets back from Europe.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon