Spyderco's Taichung (Taiwan) Folders

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soulrack

Re: Spyderco's Taichung (Taiwan) Folders

Post by Soulrack »

I just got my second Taichung made Spyderco, a Vallotton, and it is so sweet. Just like my Gayle Bradley, it is perfect but compared to the popularity of the Gayle Bradley this Vallotton is really underrated. I love the blade with the hollow grind transitioning into a convex tip. Perfect lock-up, thumb stud to prevent over travel and a spyderhole. What's not to love?

I appreciate this thread for the list of Taichung folders. I'm thinking that a Tuff might be next.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Soulrack wrote:I just got my second Taichung made Spyderco, a Vallotton, and it is so sweet. Just like my Gayle Bradley, it is perfect but compared to the popularity of the Gayle Bradley this Vallotton is really underrated. I love the blade with the hollow grind transitioning into a convex tip. Perfect lock-up, thumb stud to prevent over travel and a spyderhole. What's not to love?

I appreciate this thread for the list of Taichung folders. I'm thinking that a Tuff might be next.
My first Spydie was the Vallotton. I agree totally, that she's underrated. It really spoiled me for a first Spyderco. And did you notice the 4MM spine? The Tuff will prolly be 4MM too.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Updated Post #1 for Rubicon & Chubby.

Looking forward to the Dog Tag Black!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Which Spyderco model came out first from the Taichung factory (not Taiwan in general but the Taichung factory)?

Was it sometime in 2010?

Were they stamped Taiwan at the beginning and then Taichung to distinguish that factory?

Was it Sage 1?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I have a new Southard coming in. Can't wait :)
Coming from Taichung, you just know they will be the bees knees. I'll have to land a Sage 1 next.
ForrestChump

Post by ForrestChump »

I honestly think the Taichung Spydercos have 0 competion in there respective segments and price points. I have 2.

The Sage 1 - AWESOME - $107.00 on the street? CRAZY - How bout $209 seams more accurate.

The GB - XXL AWESOME $150 street???! - Yeah ..... $299 easy.

That said please don't raise the price! :D

On a side note, I recently made a staement and then choked on it. I said I didn't beleive in hard use folders as they are already "broken".

Then I got a Bradley and my tail quickly tucked in between my legs as I wobbled to the nearest exit. ( I know there are other MF out there so no need to point that out.) Its just the GB is so sick, Im still tring to wrap my head around it. :spyder:
The Official, Unofficial Gayle Bradley Picture Thread!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65859" target="_blank
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sage 1 with S30V FFG, CF/G-10 Laminate, solid liner lock and very high quality build is probably the best value in a quality folder period! Mine was exactly $100 brand new but that was nearly two years ago!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RamZar wrote:Which Spyderco model came out first from the Taichung factory (not Taiwan in general but the Taichung factory)?

Was it sometime in 2010?

Were they stamped Taiwan at the beginning and then Taichung to distinguish that factory?

Was it Sage 1?
Yes, the Sage 1 was the first from Spyderco's maker in Taichung, and it came out in 2008. Next ones from them IIRC, were the Terzuola Slip-It, Sage 2, Chokwe, and Gayle Bradley. I don't own the last two, but I can say for certain that early specimens of the Sage 1, Sage 2, and Terzuola were just stamped Taiwan. Pretty sure early Chokwes and Bradleys were stamped that as well. IIRC, the Taichung factory asked permission to add the city name to their tang stamps to avoid confusion with Spyderco's other Taiwan maker after the fiasco with that maker's Cat and Chicago.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ForrestChump

Post by ForrestChump »

RamZar wrote:Sage 1 with S30V FFG, CF/G-10 Laminate, solid liner lock and very high quality build is probably the best value in a quality folder period! Mine was exactly $100 brand new but that was nearly two years ago!

Yeah, beleive it or not, even with the popularity, I consider the Sage 1 underated. The lockup bar is plenty solid to handle some outdoor chores, I think it's a bit more than an ultimate EDC / Gents folder.
The Official, Unofficial Gayle Bradley Picture Thread!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65859" target="_blank
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Updated Post #1 with the newly Discontinued Taichung folders: Des Horn, Navaja, Sage4 and Tuff.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

RamZar wrote:Updated Post #1 with the newly Discontinued Taichung folders: Des Horn, Navaja, Sage4 and Tuff.
The Schempp Tuff is being discontinued? I may have to buy my very first duplicate if this is the case for future use.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

3rdGenRigger wrote:
RamZar wrote:Updated Post #1 with the newly Discontinued Taichung folders: Des Horn, Navaja, Sage4 and Tuff.
The Schempp Tuff is being discontinued? I may have to buy my very first duplicate if this is the case for future use.
Yes.

See the thread: Official 2014 Discontinued List
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

That's disheartening...such a great knife, though it doesn't seem to be nearly as well received as what I'd have guessed...same with the Chokwe come to think of it in the same respect.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Updated post #1 with some new upcoming models.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Oh wow the Ronin 2 will be made in Taichung? Cool.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Time to update.... Schempp Bowie has dropped and she is amazing! Can't wait for the PPT Sprint! Anyone have any idea on a timeline?
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

I also believe that the new "Reverse" model will be made in Taiwan as well. Seems to be a good year for the Taichung plant. :D :spyder:

..and I know it's not a folder but I love me some Taiwan models regardless.
61 Spydies and Counting.

s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I've been updating post #1. Since my last post on December 23rd these have been added:
  1. Dog Tag Folder Black (Taiwan)
  2. Chaparral Blue Stepped Titanium (Taiwan)
  3. Schempp Bowie (Taiwan)
These are due including some fixed blade ones although the thread is about folders:
  1. Dog Tag Folder G-10 (Taiwan)
  2. Szabohawk (Taiwan)
  3. Janisong (Taiwan)
  4. Bradley Bowie (Taiwan)
  5. Reverse (Taiwan)
  6. Ronin 2 (Taiwan)
  7. Perrin PPT Black Blade (Taiwan)
Of course, at the Amsterdam Meet we should see more announcements.
endgame

Post by endgame »

all I have to say is"vollotton"its perfection in a production knife.tolerances the micarta last looks as if it was hand made by a master.the blade grind.I also have the d/a conversion .it will never leave me.the dog tag I also love.Gayle Bradley.perfect slicer with great fit and finish.I no Imight get bashed here.but those who no me no I have allot of spydercos I have never had one problem or complaint about a taichung blade.I have had a couple from golden that had to go back.it happens I get it but taichung just has suck great quality control .nothing leaves there not perfect in everyway
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

endgame wrote:all I have to say is"vollotton"its perfection in a production knife.tolerances the micarta last looks as if it was hand made by a master.
Just a thought, I'm pretty sure the scale material is g-10 and not micarta on the Vallotton. Reguardless, I love mine and I am so happy I got a hold of this beauty. :spyder:
61 Spydies and Counting.