Help finding some that are very good at hiding!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
essorde

Help finding some that are very good at hiding!!

Post by essorde »

Hello friends. I am a new member to the forum but have been collecting for a few years. I have a decent Ladybug and Jester collection and just started on some Sprints. Eventually I will get some pics up to share.

In my collecting travels, I see Spyderkeys/Hummingbirds that are never for sale. And obviously so...but can anyone point me to a want to buy location or maybe private collector somewhere that can get me started on a Spyderkey collection? I consider them my grail knives right now and would love the opportunity to begin my collection.

I understand this is certainly not the location for a want to buy, so instead I am asking for some advice or direction where a feller like myself can hopefully get a lead to one of these. I understand and respect the rules so please forgive me if this message violates any!!

Thank you and have a great day.
Chet
SpyderNut

Re: Help finding some that are very good at hiding!!

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the forum, Chet.

The Spyderkeys and Hummingbirds are indeed tough to find. I would try posting a WTB ad over at Blade Forums and I would also check the 'bay religiously. They do pop up on the 'bay semi often, but usually for a premium.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I swim through a lot of different channels looking for old disco'd Spydies, but I rarely, if ever, see these available in the wild. Some very rare beasties indeed! The BF exchange is probably your best bet, and you could always set up a followed search on eBay and see if one comes up. Good luck and sorry I didn't have any good leads for you, but I'd hazard a guess that if you're able to track down any leads, this is probably the best place to start. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Welcome to the forum essorde!

Some good advice there already, keep us posted on your hunt :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Welcome!

I've seen 2 or 3 on Ebay in the past few months. One was in very poor condition and went for about $60, another was like-new and was (IIRC) $130. They do pop up, but not that often. Good luck on the hunt!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Welcome essorde, some very good advice. I hope you score :)
essorde

Post by essorde »

Thank you all for the advice and direction!! And THANK YOU for the welcomes. I look forward to participating and will certainly pass onto the forum any good leads I may find. I had a few WTBs out there but no responses yet. A few laughs at my expense by the reader I'm sure but no responses.

Yep GoldenSpydie....I was the cheapskate who bid $129 lol. I went after that exact one you referred to but could not hang with the big boys. In retrospect it appears I missed a rare opportunity. I wanna say it was the corrianne (sp?) model if memory serves me correct???

Again, thank you all for welcoming me. I hope I can provide some value to the group just as you have done so already for me.
essorde

Post by essorde »

Well there...that didn't take long. See, the 'bay can actually provide some good use at times. And for a mere $375 for the Mother of Pearl Spyderkey....who can pass THAT up? Free shipping too??? This deal is too good to be true!!

OK, I forgot that sarcasm doesn't always come across well in print, so I will offer some words of optimism.....at least the auction is a "Or Best Offer" deal so I'm quite sure he will accept around $200 less than his asking price!! I know, I know....sarcasm in print. Sorry...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Essorde,

Welcome to our forum.

Spyderkeys/Hummingbirds are indeed difficult to find. We didn't make very many of them, maybe 600 pcs of each and they are being collected by folks all over the world. I heard from someone in France that had most of them.

Good luck.

sal
essorde

Post by essorde »

QUICK, SOMEONE GET ME THE NUMBER FOR FRANCE!!! AND THE EXCHANGE RATE......

Thanks Sal! I appreciate the response. Yup, I sure can appreciate their scarcity. I knew my collection would not materialize overnight and planned to come across some that were out of my reach before I could score any.

Thanks for the good luck and THANK YOU for such a consistently great product!!! Don't worry, I have plenty of other models that are keeping my interest while one comes along. Don't even get me started on my searches for the CF Ladybug....
essorde

Post by essorde »

Aaaaaaaand....GOT ONE!!!!!! No, not the $375 one but another popped up and I think I clicked my mouse through the table. Oh well, a couple more hours at work and it's all worth it IMO!!

I'll get some pics up once I receive it. Let me tell you, I feel like I just hit a walk-off homer!! Chest is all sticking out, waving to fans (i.e. confused-looking neighbors), signing stuff, quick jog around the house, and all I did was buy a knife.....but what a knife it shall be!!!!!!! I'm pretty amped up right now.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Congrats! You seem to be into the small, collectable blades. You may be interested in googling the Titanium Mini-Police and the Mini Mariner. ;)
essorde

Post by essorde »

Thanks brother. Yep I like those smaller ones but I also really like the larger ones. Its just kinda how my collecting OCD takes me. I started collecting ladybugs and other than a few certain ones I have almost an entire family (I don't have the Japanese market plain blade colored FRN L1s but I'm not holding my breath for any of those). Then I started on Jesters. Now these. Funny thing is...seeing a Civilian was what started me on my journey. I am actually working to build up enough knowledge to collect the larger more expensive ones such as the Civies, Police, Milies, and the like. I like Copas too but who doesn't right?
My users are much more common such as a Native and Tasman, but yes little ones I do enjoy collecting.

I do like those mini police and mariners a lot. There's a mini police right now for $200 but I think that may be a common and pretty available price for those....no need to pull the string on that at least for now. Just as I type, another Hummingbird came up...this one stainless on a tie clip and a Spyderco symbol fixed into the middle. Never saw one with the little medal in the handle, but nevertheless I'm done spending for today. Hopefully one of you that are also looking go out there and get that cool little tie clip. Wish I could....
Bob from France

Post by Bob from France »

I've got all the Spyderkeys !!!

It's been a long run to get them all ... Ten years a searches through the web !!!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Bob from France wrote:Image

I've got all the Spyderkeys !!!

It's been a long run to get them all ... Ten years a searches through the web !!!
Nice hunt!

Do you ever find the hunt is as or more interesting as the catch?
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Bob from France

The Hunt was very interesting especially for the last one !!!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

The title of this thread sounds creepy
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Especially with the two (!!) exclamation points
Bob from France

These are the last one > By David Yellowhorse
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Awesome collection, Bob! I've never seen those last ones before.