Oiling your knives questions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Geno

Oiling your knives questions.

Post by Geno »

I just purchased a Spyderco Tuff, and it has started squeaking and vibrating where the detent touches the blade when opening and closing it and I know that oiling it would probably fix the problem but I don't know how to applicate it or which type of oil to use. I have also seen that the CPM 3V steel on it isn't very corrosion resistant so people have told me that rubbing the blade down with a little oil will help keep anything wet or possibly harmful to the blade away from it, now has anyone done this before? And if so how would I applicate it and what kind of oil should I use?
swigert

Re: Oiling your knives questions.

Post by swigert »

Grab a tuf cloth for the blade and some tif glide with the needle applicator and out 1-2 drops into the pivot.

Both can be found on Amazon
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

swigert wrote:Grab a tuf cloth for the blade and some tif glide with the needle applicator and out 1-2 drops into the pivot.

Both can be found on Amazon
I do agree with "swigert" because Sentry Solutions the company that makes those two products has a great line up of lubricants and corrosion resistant products. They also have a dry lube called "BP 2000" which I've had great luck with. Another great wet lube that I've had super good luck with over the years has been MILITEC.

They also have a marine grad TUF CLOTH which I've had great luck with. The TUF CLOTH leaves a great corrosion resistant film that will help you with protection.

There is one other possible remedy that I've had great luck with. The FLITZ company who makes an excellent metal polish also makes a great metal wax which I've used on a number of my blades and other hardware.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

A small dab of oil on the detent ball will help until the detent ball smooths out the area it is in contact with. Apply with a toothpick.

I have been using Elna Sewing Machine oil for years now on all my folders.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

Geno wrote:I just purchased a Spyderco Tuff, and it has started squeaking and vibrating where the detent touches the blade when opening and closing it and I know that oiling it would probably fix the problem but I don't know how to applicate it or which type of oil to use. I have also seen that the CPM 3V steel on it isn't very corrosion resistant so people have told me that rubbing the blade down with a little oil will help keep anything wet or possibly harmful to the blade away from it, now has anyone done this before? And if so how would I applicate it and what kind of oil should I use?
I use eezox oil on Cruwear. Eezox is as runny as water, so use conservatively.
remnar

Post by remnar »

My favorite lubricant is called Gun Butter. You can see the bottle in the background of the pic below. When I bought my first Caly 3 it became very stiff and gritty within a couple of hours of owning it. I cleaned it thoroughly and tried several different lubes, but none of them left the knife operating very smoothly. The Gun Butter lubricant made a huge difference and made everything operate as smooth as butter. :D It also has a needle applicator that lets you get just the right amount in the right place. It is now the only lube that I use on my knives.

Geno

Post by Geno »

Would baby oil or mineral oil work on the Spyderco Tuff? I want to know which would be good for putting a coating on the blade for corrosion, and which would be good for lubricating the detent or pivot screw.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

can't freehand wrote:
Geno wrote:I just purchased a Spyderco Tuff, and it has started squeaking and vibrating where the detent touches the blade when opening and closing it and I know that oiling it would probably fix the problem but I don't know how to applicate it or which type of oil to use. I have also seen that the CPM 3V steel on it isn't very corrosion resistant so people have told me that rubbing the blade down with a little oil will help keep anything wet or possibly harmful to the blade away from it, now has anyone done this before? And if so how would I applicate it and what kind of oil should I use?
I've used that EEZOX on firearms and fishing reels both with excellent results. I think it's actually formulated for firearms use someone told me. But it is a quality product and I'm sure it works good on some folders for sure.

But again there's just something I like about MILITEC>> it is really dependable and doesn't dry up or varnish.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

can't freehand wrote:
I've used that EEZOX on firearms and fishing reels both with excellent results. I think it's actually formulated for firearms use someone told me. But it is a quality product and I'm sure it works good on some folders for sure.

But again there's just something I like about MILITEC>> it is really dependable and doesn't dry up or varnish.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

can't freehand wrote:

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

can't freehand wrote:

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

can't freehand wrote:

Geno

Post by Geno »

I'm going to post this again in the hopes that someone responds to the question this time.

Would baby oil or mineral oil work on the Spyderco Tuff? I want to know which would be good for putting a coating on the blade for corrosion, and which would be good for lubricating the detent or pivot screw.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Not sure as to how well Mineral oil will work as a long term lubricant (long term as in good for a month or two) as I have minimal experience with it, but it may work decently to prevent corrosion. Do you work around water, food or perspiration frequently? Corrosion shouldn't be much of a problem so long as you be sure to wipe off any moisture really well. I oil my blades when I take them apart to clean them. I just take a q tip and dip it in oil, usually 3-in-1 or "Moovit" and lightly apply the oil with the Q tip to the washers and detent and most places of metal on metal contact.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Geno wrote:I'm going to post this again in the hopes that someone responds to the question this time.

Yes, if by "work" you mean coat the blade and prevent moisture or other corrosive substances from contacting the blade.

Your other request was answered in previous posts.
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

Mineral oil will work to protect your knives but eezox, clp, weapons shield, tuf cloth, and pretty much anything else will work better and longer. Mineral oil is just okay for most pivots but not good for bearing pivot knives. Bearing pivots shouldn't be wet IMO. Just wipe the pivot area of the blade down with oil and then wipe the oil off with a dry cloth.

Keeping fingerprints off of the blade, especially in and around the thumb hole, is the trick to keeping a blade rust free.
Geno

Post by Geno »

I bought some 3 in 1 oil for rust protection and for lubricating it, anybody else got experience with this stuff?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My Caly 3.5 needed some oil. I used M-Pro7, and its worked great. Very,very sparingly mind you....