Military with a Compression Lock - wishful thinking :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
systemofadown

Military with a Compression Lock - wishful thinking :)

Post by systemofadown »

Probably been suggested several million times before (but still not enough ;) ).....
Wouldn't it be lovely.....???
DLC blade + Black (or camo) G10 + Compression Lock = Happiness!!
David from NC

Re: Military with a Compression Lock - wishful thinking :)

Post by David from NC »

I would think that is the next big evolution (Military 2?) but I haven't been around here enough to know the rumors.

Me..back lock or power lock would be fine...but I think that takes away too much from Sal's original vision (much lighter than it looks). Either way...CQI is a good thing!
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'd get one, and probably prefer it...
Going back to Caly.
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

The next military is supposed to have a stop lock last time I checked bit a comó lock wouldn't b bad either
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

All-R-Crazy wrote:The next military is supposed to have a stop lock last time I checked bit a comó lock wouldn't b bad either

What is a Stop lock?
Going back to Caly.
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

http://www.google.com/patents/US6918184" target="_blank Check out the link to see the patent
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

All-R-Crazy wrote:http://www.google.com/patents/US6918184 Check out the link to see the patent

Thanks for that link.
First I've seen of that. Very intriguing. I'd like to say I fully understand what's going on there but still not completely sure. Is that a lever on the back that lifts up to engage/disengage the anvil to lock the blade, or am I way off?

I also begin to wonder if this may be one of the future locks we might see in the Sage!
Going back to Caly.
systemofadown

Post by systemofadown »

Good stuff :) Thanks for the link, I had missed that lock.
I'd be very interested in a new gen Military in either configuration ( not that there's anything wrong with the current production). I love how Spyderco is willing to improve their products.
Going to have to go digging through the old posts here & see what else might be hidden ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Military C-36 model is one of my all time user favorites and especially the two that I had in full Spyderedge>> they were great and particularly the one I had in 440V.

I've thought a lot about the Military model with the possibility of a ball bearing lock. Ever since I got my first DODO model I've just loved that locking system and I find that it works great with top notch, dry lubricants. I don't know much about this "Stop Lock" yet but I would like to check it out.

Now the Military is one Spyderco knife along with the C-111 CAptain that I just love the liner lock that came with the blade from the factory>> and I'm not a huge fan of liner locks per se.

I would also like to see a mainline Military model with either a Carbon Fiber and Micarta handle as well. That model has been around for close to twenty years for good reason.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

The compression lock would be an improvement, but then again I think any Spydie without a compression lock would be improved by it.. ;)
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

David from NC wrote:I would think that is the next big evolution (Military 2?) but I haven't been around here enough to know the rumors.

Me..back lock or power lock would be fine...but I think that takes away too much from Sal's original vision (much lighter than it looks). Either way...CQI is a good thing!
Actually, a lot of people love the existing military, it's too popular to change, I've been saying this for awhile, but if they made this type of thing, they should produce it as the Paramilitary (2) XL, not the Military 2 and keep the Military for the fans of it.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Wanimator wrote:
David from NC wrote:I would think that is the next big evolution (Military 2?) but I haven't been around here enough to know the rumors.

Actually, a lot of people love the existing military, it's too popular to change, I've been saying this for awhile, but if they made this type of thing, they should produce it as the Paramilitary (2) XL, not the Military 2 and keep the Military for the fans of it.

Or just do like the Sage and Chapparal, and simultaneously have multiple versions in the catalog.
Military w/ liner-lock for traditionalists who are accustomed to their current version but may need another, + a Military X with the "new and improved whatever it is next".
Going back to Caly.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Count me in the group that thinks this would be a disaster. :rolleyes: One of the great attributes of the Military is how well it works with gloves or numb hands. The compression lock is an engineering marvel but it's a fair weather friend, literally.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JNewell wrote:Count me in the group that thinks this would be a disaster. :rolleyes: One of the great attributes of the Military is how well it works with gloves or numb hands. The compression lock is an engineering marvel but it's a fair weather friend, literally.
I'm almost positive I heard Sal say that the military 2 would be offered alongside the original rather than replacing it. That should ease some worries. :)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Surfingringo wrote:
JNewell wrote:Count me in the group that thinks this would be a disaster. :rolleyes: One of the great attributes of the Military is how well it works with gloves or numb hands. The compression lock is an engineering marvel but it's a fair weather friend, literally.
I'm almost positive I heard Sal say that the military 2 would be offered alongside the original rather than replacing it. That should ease some worries. :)
Yep, I think he's said that several times, which is reassuring! :spyder: