2015 Oregon Knife Show, April 11-12, Eugene

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

2015 Oregon Knife Show, April 11-12, Eugene

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Spydercrew and fellow forumites,

The 2015 annual Oregon Knife Show is being held April 11-12 in Eugene, Oregon. Will Spyderco be staffing a booth there? Having recently relocated back to the West Coast, I'm determined to make the drive up from the SF Bay Area to make this event.

Any forumites planning to attend? I'd love to meet other like-minded Spydernuts and I'll be bringing my custom Spyderco's to show off to anyone that wants to see them ;)! Hope Spyderco will be there this year!! Cheers, Radioactive :)

Image courtesy of the Oregon Knife Collectors Association, show info here:
http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/okcashow.html" target="_blank
Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
remnar

Re: 2015 Oregon Knife Show, April 11-12, Eugene

Post by remnar »

Radioactive,
Are you a member of OKCA? I'm thinking about joining just so I can go to the show early on Friday. I'm not 100% sure that I'm going but I really, really want to.
RadioactiveSpyder

Hi Remnar, no I am not a member of the OKCA. I thought about joining to show my support, but it's unlikely I'd be able to make it up from CA to arrive in Eugene Friday. I was thinking to leave Friday afternoon and make it to Eugene mid-morning Saturday. Depending on who was in tow family-wise, I'd try to make it Saturday afternoon for sure and possibly Sunday morning. I bet there'll be so much to see, although I am a very faithful Spyderco fan, so I'm hoping some prototypes will be on display and I can say hi to some of the Spyderco gang (and some of you!). Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've already started talking the wife into a trip to Oregon so I can go. If Spyderco won't be there I won't make the trip though. Hope to hear from the Spyder crew on this!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I will be there Friday and Saturday. It is an exceptional show and I would expect to see Spyderco have a table as they have for the last 7 years I have been going. The table in the past has been staffed by Sal, Eric and Gail who over see and gladly display about 50 +/- prototypes.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Ferris Wheels wrote:I will be there Friday and Saturday. It is an exceptional show and I would expect to see Spyderco have a table as they have for the last 7 years I have been going. The table in the past has been staffed by Sal, Eric and Gail who over see and gladly display about 50 +/- prototypes.
Well if that is the case, I'm going to do everything I can to be there. Apparently it is about a 7+ hour drive. I would love to meet some of my fellow forumites while there!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Bumping this back to page one where hopefully someone from Spyderco can chime in on whether they'll be in Eugene this year. Thanks!!! :)
RadioactiveSpyder

Tap, tap, tap... Is this thing on? ;)
RadioactiveSpyder

Bumped back to page 1, since I see Sal's online right now ;).
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I go every year. I'm a member, and after a few years of picking brains, I'm a contributor. Ed Schempp, Wayne Goddard, Spyderwa and Ferris are the ones I see there every year. I also see Sal, Gail and Eric. You also get to meet a huge number of past and current collaborators.

Ed Schempp, Vallotton, Bram Frank, JD Smith, Ken Onion, Wayne Goddard and more can often be found at the show. Wayne won't be around too much longer though. He's a **** of an interesting conversationalist.

Deceased former attendees would be Jess Horn and Bob Lum.

I'd suggest that if you can go, you do. It is an excellent show, and they do a lot to make it an informal atmosphere.
RadioactiveSpyder

Awesome, I can't wait. I hate to say I just bugged Sal with an email asking if him or anyone else from Spyderco would be there. I would love to meet so many of them in person (you better be there too Brad Southard!). Cheers, Radioactive :)
remnar

Post by remnar »

It looks like I'll be having some father and son bonding time this weekend. We'll be coming up early Friday and staying at least through Saturday. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions for me, or are there any hotels that I should avoid. Thanks in advance for any advice.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Spyder,

We'll be there. We do have a table, but for us, it's really an informal show.

sal
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

My son Martin his wife Ann, Emma and Ruby the labs and I will be at tables T-10,11. I'll have some Spyderco Schempps and a hand made or two. Being that the theme of the show I'll bring for me historical pieces. The first pre-ground heat treated knife that I assembled was the exact knife chosen for the display award knife. History repeats itself. Bob Lum was one of my heroes, he is missed. I will bring a reverse curve Katana forged from accordianed mosaic steel. My son has been flintknapping for close to 25 years. He had an article in Knives Illustrated before I had a picture of a knife published.
This is truly a family and friends show. My son has been "on his own" at the show, virtually without supervision since he was 10. I always had about 100 people keeping track of him. Nice people, nice town. Hope to see you their. Stop and introduce yourself...Take Care...Ed
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Ed...
If at all possible, could you please show us some of Martin's work from the show?
Before steel, there was stone... :)

( BTW... I have the KI magazine with his knapping from way back when...)
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Stuart, I having trouble posting pictures. If you private message me your email, I'll send you some pictures...Ed
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Ed Schempp wrote:Stuart, I having trouble posting pictures. If you private message me your email, I'll send you some pictures...Ed
That is a shame, as I would really like to see these too. :)
RadioactiveSpyder

Getting close, one week left!! Who's gonna be there?

I'll probably show up at the show early Saturday afternoon and will likely attend Sunday as well. I'm super excited to meet the Spydercrew and show Sal how easy it is to open a Roadie one-handed! I've been practicing like crazy ;). Hope to see some of you there! Radioactive :)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Getting close, one week left!! Who's gonna be there?

I'll probably show up at the show early Saturday afternoon and will likely attend Sunday as well. I'm super excited to meet the Spydercrew and show Sal how easy it is to open a Roadie one-handed! I've been practicing like crazy ;). Hope to see some of you there! Radioactive :)
Hey R/S, remember to take your camera, spare batteries and extra memory cards. We'll all be expecting a full review here on the forum once you get back :p

If you can get a photo with Sal and Eric then I'm sure you'll have a contender for the weekly photo contest :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
remnar

Post by remnar »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote: I'm super excited to meet the Spydercrew and show Sal how easy it is to open a Roadie one-handed! I've been practicing like crazy ;). Hope to see some of you there! Radioactive :)
I want to see this one handed opening method. I can do it but it takes a lot of awkward movements. Maybe I'll see you there and you can show me too. :D