Favorite EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fredswartz

Favorite EDC

Post by fredswartz »

Probably like many of us I have a stash of Spydercos and
Most of mine are custom collaborations and hard to get models.
My all time go to knives used to be the Calypso Jr., then the C49 Wegner
Jr. As of the last few years the Dialex Junior is the perfect EDC for me.
Love the handle, the wide thin blade and the lockup.
SpyderNut

Re: Favorite EDC

Post by SpyderNut »

Guilty as charged. :o About 80% of my collection consists of older, hard-to-find Spydies that are essentially safe-queens. :rolleyes: I carry most of them from time to time, but only a very select few actually see any real action. :o My go-to blades are the VG-10 Manbug and SE VG-10 Ladybug.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I just posted this in the "what knife are you carrying today" thread, but worthy of a repost with a good mention! Nice coincidence.
Love my Dialex Junior. Completely underrated.

Also love any of the Wegners! Those are folders that desperately need a modern Sprint refresh!
Have an Ocelot that is one of my favorites.
Going back to Caly.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My recent EDC rotation has mainly included the PITS Folder, Slysz Bowie, Sage 3 CF, and a Delica of some sort (along with a SE Dragonfly salt and black Dog Tag as backups). My overall favorite knife is probably still the Para 2, but it hasn't seen too much pocket time recently.

Maybe I'll dust off the Junior and carry it this weekend. :)
:bug-red-white
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

No single favorite but many that I like to carry regularly, lately it's been my fluted Ti military, slysz bowie, cruwear manix2, techno. But like many I always seem to come back to one of my PM2's especially the S35VN. The only one that gets carried no matter which large blade I carry is my SB manbug.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

When possible a Military (usually CF). When needing something less scary and more discrete it has usually been a Slysz Bowie, Techno or Southard lately.
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

Every day, without fail, is my P'Kal in the left corner of my right front pocket.

Lately, either the Southard or Yojimbo, same pocket as company.
Matt
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

While the Bradley Folder doesn't have my favorite lock, scales, blade shape, or ergos, what it does offer in these categories in no way detracts from what makes this knife my favorite EDC: M4 steel, flow-through handle and moderate heft.

Moreover, while I don't usually pursue Spyderco collaborations, the Bradley Folder serves to remind me that Sal and crew are generous enough to make independent designers better known.

This much said, the Bradley Folder is my favorite EDC but only marginally...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MickM

Post by MickM »

I'm new to forum and new to collecting, just starting. My EDC is Spyderco Persistane. It's a great knife and has made me a Spyderco fan. The only thing is it seems a little too wide when closed. Opening with my thumb seems too long of reach, I have to shift it in my hand? I think I may order a Delica now to see if it fits my hand better?
Chum

Post by Chum »

My Delica that I bought back in 1990 or 1991. The only reason I carry other knives is that I've carried this Delica for so long I just wanted to try different knives. It's still my favorite though.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

fredswartz wrote: My all time go to knives used to be the Calypso Jr., then the C49 Wegner
Jr. As of the last few years the Dialex Junior is the perfect EDC for me.
Love the handle, the wide thin blade and the lockup.
It is been a long time, since I saw you on this Forum. Welcome back Jerry.
And still Calypso Jr. :)
I still carry my C83 Persian (since August of 2006) and Caly3.5.
But few years ago I added Native5 and faithfully carry at least one of them daily. Also a little over month ago I started to carry Memory and I am very impressed not only with look, but with cutting abilities. 2mm thick blade rules. I think that you need to try this knife. Often I see it at very decent prices around $160 shipped.
Last edited by bh49 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PWork

Post by PWork »

My all-time favorite Spyderco EDC is the Dragonfly2. The little guy just works extremely well in my hand. :cool:
Paul
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Razzle wrote:Every day, without fail, is my P'Kal in the left corner of my right front pocket.

Lately, either the Southard or Yojimbo, same pocket as company.

Two knives in the same pocket seem like they would just beat each other up over a short period of time.
If I'm double carrying I usually do one front pocket, one back.
Going back to Caly.
- SpyderMan -

Post by - SpyderMan - »

MickM wrote:I'm new to forum and new to collecting, just starting. My EDC is Spyderco Persistane. It's a great knife and has made me a Spyderco fan. The only thing is it seems a little too wide when closed. Opening with my thumb seems too long of reach, I have to shift it in my hand? I think I may order a Delica now to see if it fits my hand better?
Welcome to the forum, MickM.

The Delica is a terrific choice BTW.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

My go to EDC is either any Delica flavor (SB or VG10 are my choices) or the Techno. And then almost always a DF2 riding clipless as well.

I love the bigger Spydies as well, but for general purpose EDC, it's those three models that work best for me.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix 2. In almost any flavor, although recently it's been s90v.

I'm also very partial to the Dragonfly 2, although recently the Chaparral has been bumping it out of my pocket quite a bit.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I miss my Dragonfly 2, a lot of the time my PM2 feels too big.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JBE

Post by JBE »

Military in CPM-440V....I still like the 440V better than the S30V.
MickM

Post by MickM »

I'm still have trouble opening my Persistance with one hand despite my persistence in practicing! It just seems to be too big sideways for my thumb to swing it all the way out, maybe it's my old hand? I'm thinking of ordering a Delica 4 in British racing green thinking it might work better for me?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I don't have one favorite and I don't like to think about it because it makes my one and only brain cell hurt. :) I did whittle down knives I really like to seven so I can have a different one for each day of the week. Some of you guys can have a different knife for each day or the month. :) Some can have a different knife for each day of the year. :D

Mine are:
Michael Walker (ZDP/CF sprint)
Caly 3 (ZDP & CF)
Chaparral 2
Chaparral 3
Native 5 fluted ti
Techno
Worker (recent sprint)

I don't think I could come up with a favorite from these knives based solely on ease of carry, size, appearance, performance or anything else. Every single one of them is a perfect EDC knife IMO. They all have their pro's and, um, well,,, I can't think of any con's. :)

All of these have under 3" blade length which is my preference for EDC. In addition to one of them I normally also carry something larger. Right now my favorite choices are the Bradley folder and the sprint Dyad.

This is about as close as I can get to selecting a favorite EDC. :confused: One thing that should be noticed though is that while I have other brand knives which I love, none of them make this list of "one" ( :) ) favorite knife. The only thing I can say is Spyderco makes the knives I prefer to carry.

Jack

EDIT:
To pick one I'll say the Michael Walker. :) Truly a great EDC knife.
Last edited by jackknifeh on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.