Can anybody recommend a trusted sharpener who can reprofile?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
baserock love

Can anybody recommend a trusted sharpener who can reprofile?

Post by baserock love »

I got a paramilitary and a native FRN combo edge and the straight edge on the Native and the paramilitary are at too shallow an angle for me to hit with my sharpmaker.

I took my old delica4 saber grind to a "professional" who has his own knife sharpening store and he absolutely butchered it and had no idea what he was doing. I had to re profile it myself with sandpaper and the sharpmaker but now I understand why people do not recommend doing it with the sharpmaker. After like 8 hours of grinding and repetitive stress disorder i have that 30 degree back bevel and 40 degree micro bevel but the back bevel isn't uniform on one side and my formerly well run but still almost pristine delica just doesn't look the same. It's a gift for a friend now that i got the pm2 and **** if i'm gonna try and do that myself with s30v.

I got a brand new PM2 and a native that i can't sharpen with spyderco's own sharpener and when i called spyderco, they said they couldn't guarantee me they could even put the back bevel at an angle that would allow me to use their own sharpening system.

There's gotta be trusted people with precise setups that can get me that 30 degree back bevel who ACTUALLY understand the science of getting a scary edge on a blade instead of just lopping off a bunch of metal from one side so it'll be sharp enough to cut celery.

I got two great EDC knives i can hardly use! Can anybody here recommend anybody that does this and does this right? I found one guy but yeah, he doesn't respond to emails or messages through his site.
spyderHS08

Re: Can anybody recommend a trusted sharpener who can reprof

Post by spyderHS08 »

I would pop on over to the greener forum if I were you, lots of stand up guys there that will do aftermarket work for you. Whether it's sharpening, mods, coatings you name it. They have whole sections devoted to this type of thing.

Good luck!
baserock love

Post by baserock love »

spyderHS08 wrote:I would pop on over to the greener forum if I were you, lots of stand up guys there that will do aftermarket work for you. Whether it's sharpening, mods, coatings you name it. They have whole sections devoted to this type of thing.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. So....what exactly is the greener forum? lol I'm a little confused.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

If you're in US, head over to Maintenance Subforum of Bladeforums. Quite a lot of good guys over there. Some I can recall having good feedback: Jason B, Big Chris and richard j. I live far so I sharpen myself, but these people take sharpening jobs & have had good feedback.
Chris :spyder:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Jason Bosman on BF
His username is JasonB
His email traditionalsharpening@gmail.com" target="_blank
baserock love

Post by baserock love »

MacLaren wrote:Jason Bosman on BF
His username is JasonB
His email traditionalsharpening@gmail.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thanks. Sent him an email!
Holland

Post by Holland »

You could invest in yourself instead and buy a wicked edge or edge pro! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
ZEOX

Post by ZEOX »

My solution...

from the factory... (military Ti)

And after...
Shapton pro #1000 and #2000 > Naniwa #3000 > Leather + paste (3/1/0.3 microns)

Since I work with stones, it is much simpler than the 204. The result is better.
To repair the hard work, I suggest starting with one stone #320 or #400/500.
Investing in stone is better in the long term...(Just my opinion)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

baserock love wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Jason Bosman on BF
His username is JasonB
His email traditionalsharpening@gmail.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thanks. Sent him an email!
He does beautiful work. I think you'll be well pleased.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

ZEOX wrote:My solution...

from the factory... (military Ti)

And after...
Shapton pro #1000 and #2000 > Naniwa #3000 > Leather + paste (3/1/0.3 microns)

Since I work with stones, it is much simpler than the 204. The result is better.
To repair the hard work, I suggest starting with one stone #320 or #400/500.
Investing in stone is better in the long term...(Just my opinion)
That's very nice ZEOX
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

baserock love wrote:
spyderHS08 wrote:I would pop on over to the greener forum if I were you, lots of stand up guys there that will do aftermarket work for you. Whether it's sharpening, mods, coatings you name it. They have whole sections devoted to this type of thing.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. So....what exactly is the greener forum? lol I'm a little confused.
Sorry, it's the USN. Or usualsuspectnetwork.net, great knife forum
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The best thing is to learn to do it yourself. That takes time and depending on what all you have now sharpening tools can get a bit expensive. The Shaprmaker is great for maintaining edges but without the coarser grit rods will take forever to reprofile or do a lot of work. Worst case you send them to me. I'll put a great edge on your knives and don't want any money. Send me a PM if you want. Good luck.

Jack
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

jackknifeh wrote:The best thing is to learn to do it yourself. That takes time and depending on what all you have now sharpening tools can get a bit expensive. The Shaprmaker is great for maintaining edges but without the coarser grit rods will take forever to reprofile or do a lot of work. Worst case you send them to me. I'll put a great edge on your knives and don't want any money. Send me a PM if you want. Good luck.

Jack
I agree with Jack on this. You may want to look into buying an Edgepro to re-set your bevels and then using the Sharpmaker to maintain them. Anyway, that's a generous offer to get your knives back in order :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
baserock love

Post by baserock love »

Hey thanks for all the posts guys!

And thanks for the offer jackknifeh but Jason responded very fast and I'll be sending apparently all 3 of my spydercos to him.

As for reprofiling, with these prices I guess i see little reason to invest in the equipment to do it myself and take the time. I can get my knives VERY sharp provided they're at the proper angle. My delica4 came with the proper angles with the factory grind but neither my pm2 or native did so this should just be a one time thing.

I'm sure there's a reason why spyderco's come from the factory often with uneven grinds that don't work with their own sharpener but man, it would be nice to have to not have to get a basically brand new knife reprofiled.

Either way, i'm gonna be knife naked for a week D: I literally have not spent a day without carrying a knife since i was 5 years old and Jason is gonna have all 3 of my current ones.
Jason B.

Post by Jason B. »

Your knives will be in good hands ;)
araneae

Post by araneae »

baserock love wrote:
I'm sure there's a reason why spyderco's come from the factory often with uneven grinds that don't work with their own sharpener but man, it would be nice to have to not have to get a basically brand new knife reprofiled.

Either way, i'm gonna be knife naked for a week D: I literally have not spent a day without carrying a knife since i was 5 years old and Jason is gonna have all 3 of my current ones.
Final sharpening is done by real live people at the factory so edge angles can vary, with 30 being the target angle. You just were unlucky enough to get a couple off ones. With practice and know how you can get them right on the sharpmaker even if the angles are off, you just have to hold the knife at a different angle or tilt the sharpmaker. You could also buy a fairly inexpensive lansky set and reset bevels yourself. If you own knives you should invest in learning how to sharpen them yourself.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Yes I agree get your sharpening stones or plates. I use the sharpmaker but to reprofile I use DMT plates once set I go to sharpmaker and finish with strop. Its a science but very fun to learn.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

If you own knives, it just makes sense to be able to work on them yourself. The "investment" in money is only part of it, the time & satisfaction seem to out-weigh the money in a job well done. You don't need to spend hundreds on equipment. I use a very basic Gatco setup for re-profiling with their diamond stones, then use the natural stones for a finish. It holds a constant angle and works well enough, but there is always a learning curve. This will cost about $100 for the kit and a couple of extra stones.

Most of my stuff is set to 15 degrees per side & left there, since I'm not into constant tinkering & changes. This seems to be a happy medium for my needs. It also makes re-sharpening very simple when it's time. After seeing some of the horror stories recently about sharpening gone wrong, I'm glad I can do what I need to for sharpening.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I totally agree that it makes sense to be able to work on your knives and be able to do the basics. But, the O.P., is in for a real treat with Jason B. He does superb work. Ive got Sharp Maker, and can achieve good results. And, that's fine and dandy. But, I cannot come close to do what a professional can do. I think it's cool what the O.P. is doing. Their his good Spyderco knives, and they will come back pretty amazing.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Jason does a good job. :)