Need some help with a Stretch.

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Ramonade

Need some help with a Stretch.

Post by Ramonade »

Hi,
Recently I've been turning myself towards pretty well used Spydercos, in order to give them a new life at my side.
Someone proposed to sell me a ZDP Stretch for around 50 bucks.

He made pictures and I didn't think much of it except that the transition from edge to kick seems to have been ground off.
However, the closest looking Stretch I found to this one would be the C90CF Stretch in Carbon Fiber. The texture is ok but the look is not.

I think it might be a fake but I'm not well versed in this model at all, that's why I need your help !

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bolster

Re: Need some help with a Stretch.

Post by Bolster »

Dear MNOSD #4*:

This looks all kinds of different from my ZDP CF Stretch, but I have a "Dinosaur Jimp" version (jimping on thumb ramp is in large sharp steps of different sizes). Differences noticed:

Spyder hole in mine is about 2/3 past the plunge line toward the blade. Yours is opposite.
Yours has a larger ricasso.
I think maybe the spyder hole is smaller on yours? On mine the hole is 14mm diameter.
Kick is very different. Not rounded on mine.
I can't see the step- or tetris- pattern of the CF in your photos (maybe just a photo thing)
The finger choil on mine is shallower than yours
The rounded dome on the end of the hinge is considerably larger on yours.
Top part above hole just "looks" different, can't describe...maybe more peaked on yours?
The thinnest part of metal above the spyder hole on mine is toward the blade side, on yours, toward the thumb jimping.

Hope this helps...dunno if the my dino-jimped version is considerably different than the normal-jimped CF ZDP Stretch that followed.

Sincerely, MNOSD #3
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:07 am
Dear MNOSD #4*:

This looks all kinds of different from my ZDP CF Stretch, but I have a "Dinosaur Jimp" version (jimping on thumb ramp is in large sharp steps of different sizes). Differences noticed:

Spyder hole in mine is about 2/3 past the plunge line toward the blade. Yours is opposite.
Yours has a larger ricasso.
I think maybe the spyder hole is smaller on yours? On mine the hole is 14mm diameter.
Kick is very different. Not rounded on mine.
I can't see the step- or tetris- pattern of the CF in your photos (maybe just a photo thing)
The finger choil on mine is shallower than yours
The rounded dome on the end of the hinge is considerably larger on yours.
Top part above hole just "looks" different, can't describe...maybe more peaked on yours?
The thinnest part of metal above the spyder hole on mine is toward the blade side, on yours, toward the thumb jimping.

Hope this helps...dunno if the my dino-jimped version is considerably different than the normal-jimped CF ZDP Stretch that followed.

Sincerely, MNOSD #3
Thanks MNOSD #3, feels good to always have a member when needed.
There is a lot of inconsistances yes ! The texture of the scale material is ok but I checked with the owner and it doesn't seem to be CF. I've found pictures took by Nemo of the Stretch you're mentionning. But the fact that there is no finger choil jimping is pretty weird.

If I was looking for such a model my fake-meter would have gone to a 100 directly, but this was proposed to me as a very used knife for an excellent price. The owner is not the first owner and is a legit guy, we'll do a bit more research but I think it is already pretty safe to say that it is a fake.
I've read about fake Stretch in G10 on the Internet and the forum, but the links people were referring to back then are all dead now, obviously.

MNOSD #4 going dark.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

What jumps out to me is the small bug and hole.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:45 pm
What jumps out to me is the small bug and hole.
I'm used to fake having a badly proportionned bug or an enormous one ! In any ways, I don't think there was any Stretch without jimping in the 50/50 choil. With Bolster's observations and yours, I think we can safely call it a stinky fake. :respect

jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The shape of the thumb ramp looks really weird, almost peaked.
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

That just doesn't look like Spyder steel to me
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Yeah, definitely a fake !
Pretty "collector" fake though, it has maybe not a decade but close.