Does difference of the spider logo on the box mean a fake?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Sidfr0mtoystory

Does difference of the spider logo on the box mean a fake?

Post by Sidfr0mtoystory »

Does the size of the triangular opening on the fangs of the spider logo indicate a fake? I saw some posts and a YouTube video about spotting fake spydercos claiming this. When I checked out my spyderco boxes I noticed 2 of the ones I have look like the "fake" box.

Native here(bought from St nick's knives)

Kapara box here(bought from bladehq)

My manix 2 box with the smaller triangular opening which is supposed to be the legit logo
Notice how the triangles on the first 2 boxes are bigger and the opening is much smaller on the manix 2 box. Supposedly boxes with the bigger triangular opening could be fake. Is there any truth to this?
Here's the YouTube video about fakes
https://youtu.be/lrgesqFA_Ko
SpyderForLyfe

Re: Does difference of the spider logo on the box mean a fake?

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

I happen to have 14 Spyder boxes in my garage right now, all bought from legit places (like DLT, GPKnives, or BHQ) I'll go check each of them and see if I can confirm for you, Eagle eye.
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Alright, just checked. Every single box I own has a triangle like your St. Nick's and BHQ boxes. I don't have a single box like your Manix box.

While I can't confirm that this means fake or not, I can definitely confirm that it's not "normal". Can you post a picture of the item label on the end of the box, and if the manix itself from multiple angles?

I'll post a standard, stock Manix 2 panel for you to compare to.
PXL_20221227_212412680~2.jpg
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Here is deal with Aisian Counterfillers thay do good Kopy Kat work.

Recall years ago going to gun show, guy was selling OTF MicroTechs, the counterfeits were perfect except all has SAME SERIAL NUMBER, and RELEASE BUTTIN WAS MIM NOT MACHINED.

They were exact copies done to bot, and first tell was guy had 70- 80 For Sale at $125.00, not $350-$400.00 normal range.

I told him I had reason to believe he was selling FAKES, and point to SAME SERIAL NUMBER. He was not happy but I only knilled few sales, sure he sold out tha weekend.