Spyderco will not identify clones

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
CaptWiggum

Spyderco will not identify clones

Post by CaptWiggum »

I have a special interest in finding reliable methods to identify clones. If I find a way to verify the metal, then that will be a sure way to catch them. Clones don’t use real S90V etc.

I have emailed Spyderco a while back with pictures and a request to identify a clone. They did not reply. My guess is there are so many clones they just don’t want to start that kind of service. Also a false positive could cause a lot of trouble for a retailer.

So then, my fellow collectors, it’s up to us. :)

Spyderco Junkie. I live near the factory outlet!
“I wanted it extra sharp. Now I wear a lot of bandaids.” :eek:
TazKristi

Re: Spyderco will not identify clones

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, CaptWiggum:
It's possible that we didn't receive your e-mail. Unfortunately, technology isn't always perfect. I'm sorry it gave you the impression that we wouldn't help.

We authenticate knives all the time - we've done it here on the forum too. Our Warranty & Repair Department is the most well-versed in identifying counterfeits, but sometimes it's not possible from pictures alone. We may ask you to send something in to take a closer look.

Nevertheless, we do depend on you and everyone in this community to help us police the marketplace. It's just not feasible for us to watch everywhere, but thanks to all of you, our reach is far and wide.

Our official Counterfeit Statement is here. And, of course, there is a wealth of information about our efforts here on the forum.

We truly appreciate everyone's efforts and support, but please remember that we may not share every detail or action in our fight against counterfeits. We understand the passion and desire to stop someone from selling counterfeits, but sometimes, we have bigger targets in mind. So, while it may seem like we didn't do anything at times, in reality, we're doing a lot that isn't publicly known.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
CaptWiggum

Post by CaptWiggum »

Thank you Kristi! This is great new and so glad I was wrong about this.

Spyderco Junkie. I live near the factory outlet!
“I wanted it extra sharp. Now I wear a lot of bandaids.” :eek:
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Usually, it doesn't have to go to the steel composition machine (I don't know how it's called :squinting-tongue )
There is so many points to verify, if they all check you should be in possession of a genuine Spyderco.

- Compare every marking (while remembering that CQI makes models change over time, some maker's mark might be or not be there and it's perfectly fine)
- The finish on the blade and the handle, G10 has a sharp texture, FRN has very defined patterns and clones rarely match them perfectly
- The hardware
- The insides of the knife. Liners, weight relieving holes, etc.
- The jimping
- The box
- Certainly many others points to check that I forgot !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

A "clone" would use the same materials as the real thing. True clones are rare since there isn't much profit there. A "counterfeit" only looks like the real thing, but uses trademarked or patented features such as markings. They are much more common since the costs are much lower, making them more profitable. A "fake" may not even look like a real model, relying on the ignorance of the buyer to pass as genuine.

Fakes can be identified by a picture. Counterfeits can sometimes be identified by detailed photos, depending on what details the counterfeiters get wrong, but may require in-person analysis. Clones will certainly require in-person examination to identify.

Maybe one day XRF machines will be cheap enough to become commonplace. Until then, sharp-eyed and suspicious enthusiasts are our best defense.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

CaptWiggum wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:07 pm
I have a special interest in finding reliable methods to identify clones. If I find a way to verify the metal, then that will be a sure way to catch them. Clones don’t use real S90V etc.

So then, my fellow collectors, it’s up to us. :)
I have somewhat mixed feelings about this. While it would be great if we all had reliable methods to identify counterfeits, publishing the "tells" on the internet also gives the counterfeiters a handy reference guide for what they need to work on. I don't really want to help them fool me.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Well there is older gentleman who is regular seller at Gun Shows locally.

He always has FAKE SPYDERCO’s, knives with the Bug or Hole that are nothing Spyderco ever built. No boxes, no nothing, just fishing for sucker buying his poor knockoff.

Don’t know how the guy sleeps, but he must. Sad human being.

Don’t even knock off Current Models, so he is not even knock of real models.