Seeking info on fake

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
SliceOfAus

Seeking info on fake

Post by SliceOfAus »

I would like to state: I do not support or suggest buying fakes, spend the extra few bucks and get something you can truly rely on and will last a lifetime.

With that being said, after a few drinks, a guy offered me a Spyderco knife for $30 claiming he "wasn't sure if it's real" - I think we can be fairly sure of its authenticity considering the price. But it felt so good in the hand I bought it anyway.

My question is: Do you guys know if this knife is based off a particular (real) Spyderco model? Or is it just some Frankenstein fake of jumbled parts? After using this fake for a while I have become smitten by the aesthetics and hand fit, it is legitimately perfect for my hand - so I've been daydreaming of the genuine real deal but I'm not sure which model is closest for me to purchase. Any information would be appreciated!

Michael Janich

Re: Seeking info on fake

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Sliceofaus:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

It's a counterfeit Para 3.

Stay safe,

Mike
SliceOfAus

Post by SliceOfAus »

Thank you for the confirmation. It's a shame that companies fake such popular knives, leeching off their R&D, product design, and community support! The only consolation I can imagine is that some people like myself are convinced by the fakes aesthetic and design to buy the real deal, genuine product and join the Spyderco family.

I am very happy to hear that this is based off an actual knife I can purchase. Thanks Mike for the info!
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

If that is a fake, it’s a really good one. Sal’s mark looks a little funky.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

That is a very counterfeit PM2 (not Para 3).
SliceOfAus

Post by SliceOfAus »

After taking your advice and searching through the overwhelmingly large Spyderco product catalogue, it would appear that the closest knife I can find is the "PARA MILITARY™ 2 BURNT ORANGE CPM REX 45 SPRINT RUN " - [link here https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C81GBORE2/1141 ]

The rear pocket clip holes would appear to align with the PM2 more than the PM3 even though the clips location matches the PM3 and also the blue ovals display the distance between the bottom pocket clip holes and the closest screw on the spine, it would appear this PM2 is more similar in both regards.

I'm sure both of these knives are amazing but it would appear (to my novice eyes) that's this fake is more closely aligned with the PM2 version - so that is what I will purchase unless someone else has any additional info I am missing!
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Like I said, it's a counterfeit PM2, not a Para 3. Para 3 counterfeits have only been available for less than a year, and last I checked they didn't come in orange.

The burnt orange Rex 45 PM2 does *not* look like the catalog photo. The orange of the counterfeit is a bright safety orange, which is very different from the more caramel-like color that the Rex 45 PM2 actually has.

The only bright orange PM2s ever released are the Cutlery Shoppe CTS-XHP exclusives, which dropped in 2012 (satin) and 2015/2016 (DLC). They're rare on the secondary market, so you may have a hard time finding one of those. The Rex 45 PM2 is also fairly rare.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I think you would be more than pleased with a regular production Paramilitary 2!
There's a number of variants available. And if the orange is something you like, it is possible to find custom parts for this model. Scales for the PM2 exist in hundreds.

Youll definitely love this knife. It might not have bearings like most of the counterfeits do, but the action will be the same if not better !
It will for certain be more reliable and durable though
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
SliceOfAus

Post by SliceOfAus »

Good news, thanks for the assistance fellas. I am not fussed about the orange so a standard PM2 it is.

Cheers for the help!