Fake Check Shaman Z-Wear

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
rubix

Fake Check Shaman Z-Wear

Post by rubix »

I'm at least the third owner of this knife. I don't think the guy that sold this to me was malicious, but he might have unknowingly passed on a counterfeit. I haven't heard of any counterfeit shaman z-wears before. I think there's a pretty good chance that this is legit, but there are some things that have me wondering. Specifically, the lasering on the spyder logo does not line up with the infill and there's some slag on one side of the jimping on the top of the blade.

The date code on the tang of the blade is "1-20A" which I believe makes sense. Everything about the action and other parts seem fine (e.g. I had to file down some of the liner that might have been affecting the action, and I believe this is a known issue with Shamans). The box and manual look fine. The lasering and infill for all other parts of the blade ("Spyderco", "Z-WEAR PM", "Golden, Colorado", "U.S.A. Earth" and Sal's maker mark) all match up perfectly and look correct to me.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I live close to Golden and could take it there if they are able to help verify this.

Here are detailed pictures showing all of what I've found. Appreciate all the help!

https://imgur.com/a/Nuxct2w

A subset of the images available at the imgur link:
Michael Janich

Re: Fake Check Shaman Z-Wear

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear rubix:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

It's real. Thanks for actually providing pics that are both high magnification and in focus.
rubix

Post by rubix »

Accutron wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:01 am
It's real. Thanks for actually providing pics that are both high magnification and in focus.
Thanks for the response. Any particular reason for your confidence?
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

rubix wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:55 pm
Thanks for the response. Any particular reason for your confidence?
- I own many Shamans.
- Literally every detail is correct.
- There aren't any Z-Wear PM counterfeits.
rubix

Post by rubix »

Ok. I just don’t have any other knives from Golden that have either issues with the logo or jumping like this. Thanks.
Rookandalbie

Post by Rookandalbie »

I had a similar question about a knife I ran into recently. Same exact thing if you look at the bug logo in the photos. Can anyone comment on whether it’s real or fake? Thanks a lot!
313AFBEC-B8E9-405B-94DF-B03780FBA559.jpeg
EE505CE5-8884-41D1-A2DF-AAB120B54B08.jpeg
39BA4B12-9216-42F0-BD71-E9A235CFAE1C.jpeg