Spyderco Chokwe

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Ramonade

Spyderco Chokwe

Post by Ramonade »

Hi,
I've become infatuated with the Watu, and really wanted to see what Spyderco's titanium framelock could do (only have the SpydieChef so far).

I've found a Chokwe near me, being sold as "like new". I kinda jumped on the occasion since the seller has almost 500 sold items and 100% good reviews.
I still have a small window to cancel it, since this person does not accept returns.

What do you think of it ? The brown/black residue might be rust at some places, but I believe it to be something like grease.
Was there any counterfeits of this knife ? I do not think so myself but eh, you never know !

Thanks in advance,
Robin

Pics provided by the seller :

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
remnar

Re: Spyderco Chokwe

Post by remnar »

I don't know of any fake Chokwes but you never know. After comparing my Chokwe with the pictures, I don't see any signs of it being a fake. The knife in the pictures does look like it may have been carried. There appears to be some oil and lint on it so that might be a good negotiating point. If a knife has lint on it, then it is not "like new" :thinking
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I agree... I tried ti grt information like "Is this rust or oil and lint?" But the guy just said "its like new"
I trusted his reviews and should already have it by tomorrow. Thanks for looking at your own Chokwe !

I could've tried to negociate. I paid $195 for it and had a hard time finding the value of this knife. I just went by how much it would cost new nowadays, certainly between 200 and 300 USD.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Yeah, totally like new...

Never had to remove rust from a knife I cared about (always just sanded it down, don't want to do that here). I wonder how I'll make it "like new" again

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Most owners never disassemble their knives, so he may not have meant to mislead you.

Some oil and steel wool should remove the rust easily. I believe the scales are stainless, so the rust should be easily removed.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Yeah I think this is what happened.
However, the 2 big scratches on the blade and apparent rust on the blade are easy to spot.

He offered the option to return it, but I said I'd work on it to clean all of this off. I'd like him to send a bit of money back though cause he definitely knew the knife was not in "new condition" like he advertised.

remnar

Post by remnar »

Yikes! He knew it wasn't like new but hopefully, you can clean it up and get a partial refund. As mentioned above, I'd try some fine steel wool and oil to remove the rust.