Brend/pirela mamba real or fake??

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
bigmofo30

Brend/pirela mamba real or fake??

Post by bigmofo30 »

Hello Guys and Gals,
Im new to the forum but have been collecting spydercos since i was a kid, and a friend recently passed and left me a box of knives and had a couple spydercos in it, one is possibly a mamba, but i do question its authenticity because he also left me a bunch of fake microtech autos. i hope this is a real mamba any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance please see attached pics.
Attachments
3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
yablanowitz

Re: Brend/pirela mamba real or fake??

Post by yablanowitz »

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, I'm not all that familiar with the Mamba and your pix are way too small for me to see any detail on my phone. Hopefully someone more familiar with the model will chime in.
bigmofo30

Post by bigmofo30 »

Thank you very much for even looking. I do Appreciate your time
bigmofo30

Post by bigmofo30 »

Thank you very much for even looking. I do Appreciate your time
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bigmofo30,

Welcome to our forum.

These days, Counterfeits are getting hard to detect even from pictures. A close look may be required?

sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I just went on a deep dive to learn about this model because it looks amazing.

Couple things I noticed for others to verify.
- Did the Mamba only come in Carbon Fiber Scales? That is all I could find. Your example looks like G10.
- The maker's mark on pics on Spyderco's website seem to be running parallel to the top swedge where your example looks like it is running parallel to the blade front to back.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
bigmofo30

Post by bigmofo30 »

I agree with you about the marks and I also thought that it was g10 at first but I also don't own a solid carbon fiber handled knife so I really don't know. Most of my Spyderco knives are stainlessness/polymer grips. So I really don't know.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

It's definitely G10 from those pics. Nice G10. It looks like a lot of nice aftermarket scales you see around here, so there is a chance they were replaced with aftermarket scales at some point.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
bigmofo30

Post by bigmofo30 »

So you think the knife is real and just had the handel replaced? Is anything else I should look for on the knife that a fake would have?
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

There are fakes out there. And yours is fake !!

The real one only comes with solid twill carbon fiber scales.

Your pics also show the brand name Brend-Pirela on the blade partially hidden by the cheap scales. The real one has the brand name fully shown.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... tanium/979

They were discussing fake ones four years ago on this forum.

viewtopic.php?t=81298
bigmofo30

Post by bigmofo30 »

while i do agree the scales are wrong, everything else about the knife seems legit, the website says it should way 6.7 OZ and without the scales it weighs 6.15 OZ so im still not really sure. it seems to have the correct shapes on the blade. ill post pics of it after i took it apart and weighed everything, and all of the lengths and thicknesses match the web specs.
bigmofo30

Post by bigmofo30 »

here are the pics of the mamba taken apart and weighed, thanks again for the help, and i appreciate your time.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
3-1.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg