A legit Tenacious Carbon Fiber or maybe not? -solved

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
mtnpath

A legit Tenacious Carbon Fiber or maybe not? -solved

Post by mtnpath »

Edit-Solved - these are the new factory markings, haven't seen them on dealer sites on this knife yet but they're on Spyderco website. Thanks member Accutron.
This is being sold by a very legit knife dealer on ebay.
100% approval, thousands of reviews and says he is authorized dealer of every knife brand he sells.
The price listed is within the normal range, on the high side.
The only thing I notice from the pics are that the blade markings are significantly different than any other C122CFBBKP I've seen online.
There's no spine pic so I can't see if the jimping looks different. The lanyard hole is not chamfered but they aren't usually with the carbon fiber scales.
The screw holes ARE chamfered, positive.
The listing pics show all the markings being sharp and clear, including bug and the little bridge above it's feelers or whatever. That does not show well in the images here they may look a bit blurry but are not.
The blade has the EG symbol but none of the other C122CFBBKP online seem to have it, and they do counterfeit those markings.
Without seeing the knife, that's all I've got on this one. I think someone already bought this one for me as a gift, chosen for being in a gift-price range vs. a higher level knife, so was wondering what anyone thought of the blade markings being different than OEM pics.
I wouldn't go on the carbon fiber look, as I believe different pics are going to look significantly different based on lighting etc.
Thanks!
Attachments
TENACIOUS CARBON FIBER.jpg
Last edited by mtnpath on Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Janich

Re: A legit Tenacious Carbon Fiber or maybe not?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear mtnpath:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, mtnpath:
Could you post a link to the listing? That might be more helpful in determining it's authenticity.

Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
mtnpath

Post by mtnpath »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:56 am
Could you post a link to the listing? That might be more helpful in determining it's authenticity.
Sure, thanks. As I said, no diss the seller has 100% positive, thousands of reviews and says licensed dealer for all knives carried. Never seen the markings like that though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234222251481?e ... Sw4ddhXi9V
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

That's just the new marking pattern, with the high curved text on the show side, smaller 'China' and the addition of Eric's symbol. Spyderco's current online catalog photos all show the new markings.
mtnpath

Post by mtnpath »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:36 pm
. Spyderco's current online catalog photos all show the new markings.
Well there it is, should have gone there first. I thought since the Tenacious CF was discontinued I didn't bother checking the website and went off the old OOS listings on dealer websites.
I should probably just delete this post.
Thanks!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

mtnpath wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:25 pm
TazKristi wrote:
Sure, thanks. As I said, no diss the seller has 100% positive, thousands of reviews and says licensed dealer for all knives carried. Never seen the markings like that though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234222251481?e ... Sw4ddhXi9V
Hey, mtnpath:
I'm happy to see the mystery solved, but I do want to clarify something. The seller on ebay, Robco, is not an authorized Spyderco Dealer. Despite what they say, they aren't. They do not purchase directly through us, which is a requirement of being an authorized dealer.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
mtnpath

Post by mtnpath »

TazKristi wrote:
The seller on ebay, Robco, is not an authorized Spyderco Dealer. Despite what they say, they aren't. They do not purchase directly through us, which is a requirement of being an authorized dealer.

Kristi
[/quote]

Ok, thanks for that, sounds like it's authenticity could be uncertain, considering the seller is not being truthful about being an auth. dealer. And for the qty of Spyderco knives he's selling seems odd he'd not be. I'd buy direct if it were in production.
Accutron

Re: A legit Tenacious Carbon Fiber or maybe not? -solved

Post by Accutron »

Robco is a reliable and prolific eBay flipper, and everything he sells is authentic, albeit with significant markups on discontinued sprints.
mtnpath

Re: A legit Tenacious Carbon Fiber or maybe not? -solved

Post by mtnpath »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:58 pm
Robco is a reliable and prolific eBay flipper, and everything he sells is authentic
Thanks for affirming that, definitely appeared as such and solid reviews.
I'll be acquiring a Native 5 next.