Assist Salt missing H1 markings

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Gaden

Assist Salt missing H1 markings

Post by Gaden »

Hi,

I was wondering if the markings on the H1 got removed.
I got a custom engraving on the side the big H1 logo sits, so I guess that might have been removed, but looking at pictures of other peoples knifes on the same side there should be small marks indicating the type of steel. Those are missing as well.
The other side has SEKI-CITY JAPAN written in that area.

I am just wondering if I really got the H1 version without putting it into salt water. To be clear: The build quality seems fine and the blade is sharp and handles well. I just want to not find any rust on it in the future.

The seller seems like a reputable source, so I hope my worries are unwarranted.

Thanks in advance if someone can reassure me :)
Attachments
IMG_1973.png
Missing steel info?
Missing steel info?
Side with marks
Side with marks
Packaging
Packaging
araneae

Re: Assist Salt missing H1 markings

Post by araneae »

Where did you get the engraving done? From the dealer? Removing the H1 logo would likely mean the entire blade was sanded down. Was this an authorized dealer?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

A custom engraving wouldn't remove but only add markings.
They could've sanded it but you'd notice a difference in finish directly.
If I'm not mistaken, there is a lot of CQI around Salt knives, so it's difficult to say.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

At a guess, I'd say they sanded down the front side to clear the field for a new engraving. If they took the blade out and sanded it on a flat surface, it might well take out the tang stamp as well.

Edit to add: it's hard to tell fron a single picture of part of the presentation side, but it appears the finish is much finer on the flat than it is on the hollow ground portion, which is not the case on the other side.
Gaden

Post by Gaden »

Sorry for the late answer. Didn't notice the post got enabled.
araneae wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:41 pm
Where did you get the engraving done? From the dealer?
Yes, from the dealer.
Ramonade wrote: They could've sanded it but you'd notice a difference in finish directly.
If I'm not mistaken, there is a lot of CQI around Salt knives, so it's difficult to say.
This might actually be the case. The side with "SEKI-CITY JAPAN" is very sharp at the thumb hole, the other side feels really smooth. I don't know the term CQI, so I don't know about that part.
yablanowitz wrote: Edit to add: it's hard to tell fron a single picture of part of the presentation side, but it appears the finish is much finer on the flat than it is on the hollow ground portion, which is not the case on the other side.
Around the opening hole I can clearly feel a difference. Can't speak for the rest of the surface.

Thanks for your opinions. I guess the side really was just sanded thoroughly and is probably legit. The package shipped from Finland, so I guess chances of counterfeit sent from there should be slim.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Gaden:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike