VG10 strong enough?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
DrTerry

VG10 strong enough?

Post by DrTerry »

Hello, I saw a BladeHQ video testing the dynamic strength of different locks on Spyderco knives. The Endura with lockback failed quickly. The knife blade broke.

https://youtu.be/ERxHUXAFVs4

This makes me wonder if VG10 is not an adequately strong steel for a knife that will undergo hard use.

Is VG10 strong enough on a Delica or Endura for hard use, or should I seek a different (more exoensive) steel on those knife models?
Jim Malone

Re: VG10 strong enough?

Post by Jim Malone »

Depends on what you need the blade for. If you need a strong blade i would go with a fixed blade in 3V. I never had a Spyderco break or collaps on me in the 35 years i'm carrying a knife. But i never had to hard use it. People believe the Cold Steel AD lock is one of the strongest. The lock tests Spyderco did seem to be given a different result compared to the BladeHQ test. I don't know why. Having a lock or a blade that is stronger then you can physically excert on the lock is unnecessary. It makes the knife heavier without adding realistic strenght. I don't think the high RC super steels are very resilient to shock due to their hardness. Or more resilient then VG10.
FK

Post by FK »

The BHQ video make no practical sense in the real world.
Why test a lock to destruction for CLOSING the blade,,,, we apply max force in the opposite direction when cutting.

Really a stunt for click bait on YouTube.

Regards,
FK
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the forum DrTerry.

VG-10 is a brilliant cutlery steel and I’d welcome it in any pocket knife.

Unless you’re the strongest being in the Cosmos, I’m tipping you won’t break any Spyderco knives.

Buy a knife you like and just use it. :smlling-eyes
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
DrTerry

Post by DrTerry »

All great comments! I will probably just go with VG10. Sounds like it is plenty strong!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the Forum!

The steel will be more than strong enough. I'd say more important than steel type is blade thickness and grind type. The Endura strikes a nice balance. It's not so thin that it'll break with hard use, but it's not so thick that it will hardly cut, either.

Of course there's nothing wrong with wanting a different steel either! That's what's so great about Spyderco, you have so many options. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DrTerry wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:48 pm
Hello, I saw a BladeHQ video testing the dynamic strength of different locks on Spyderco knives. The Endura with lockback failed quickly. The knife blade broke.

Welcome to the forum! :smiling-cheeks

(btw: you should/could have started this thread in the main forum)

In the vid is actually a Delica (not an Endura)

- In the second test the blade broke, but as far as I can see at very HIGH pressure (so very late).
And the reason was not that the blade is weak, but that the wire pressed on the front part of the lockbar, so the lock technically just could not open (or "fail"), but the blade had to break at some point first, since the lock was totally blocked (something the BHQ guy weirdly did not figure out).

( - In the first test the blade did not break, but the lock just "failed" at rather low amount of pressure. FAILED in quotes, cause as explained int the vid it did not actually fail at all, but the wire used to apply the pressure just slipped in the boye dent of the lockbar and simply opened the knife, like pressing with the finger there would do too)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:17 am
DrTerry wrote:

Welcome to the forum! :smiling-cheeks

(btw: you should/could have started this thread in the main forum)

In the vid is actually a Delica (not an Endura)

- In the second test the blade broke, but as far as I can see at very HIGH pressure (so very late).
And the reason was not that the blade is weak, but that the wire pressed on the front part of the lockbar, so the lock technically just could not open (or "fail"), but the blade had to break at some point first, since the lock was totally blocked (something the BHQ guy weirdly did not figure out).

( - In the first test the blade did not break, but the lock just "failed" at rather low amount of pressure. FAILED in quotes, cause as explained int the vid it did not actually fail at all, but the wire used to apply the pressure just slipped in the boye dent of the lockbar and simply opened the knife, like pressing with the finger there would do too)
Good points! I confess I did not watch the video. But that is weird that they (BHQ) would not have figured that out.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

DrTerry wrote:

Is VG10 strong enough on a Delica or Endura for hard use, or should I seek a different (more exoensive) steel on those knife models?
What Spyderco models do you currently own?

What Spyderco models are you interested in purchasing?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:18 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:17 am
DrTerry wrote:

Good points! I confess I did not watch the video. But that is weird that they (BHQ) would not have figured that out.

He actually ran the test two times (starting at about 10:45 in the vid, I think I copied the link already at that time stamp https://youtu.be/ERxHUXAFVs4?t=643 ) - even has a slow motion. No offense towards the BHQ guy, but I think it is actually hard to miss that the wire prevents the lock from opening/failing, and so the blade just has to break first at some point...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DrTerry,

Welcome to our forum.

I don't think that blade steel strength is something you should concern yourself with at this stage of your "Edge-U-Cation". We've built millions of knives with VG-10. It is an exceptional all around blade steel.

Hey Kristi, you may want to move this to "General".

sal
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

There is certainly a difference between hard use and improper use. In hard use I've never broken any VG-10. Certainly dulled edges but never broken and VG-10 is a treat to sharpen anyway. Improper use basically means that a knife wasn't the right tool for the job and pretty much any steel will be damaged that way. If it's a job for a chisel, punch, or screwdriver grab one of those.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear RevMike:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:55 am
Dear RevMike:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Many thanks for welcome.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Welcome DrTerry.
VG10 will do just fine in any knife. It's a great steel. You can always upgrade to more exotic steels later as this disease infests your brain.
I started with a Delica 3 in ATS 55 in 1997 and rode that knife hard for 20 years. I caught the true Spyderco "bug" in 2019 and as my wife would say, "you have a disease".