Fake Shamans? Waited for 8 months from knife center but they are on eBay?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
BetterThanPointyStick

Fake Shamans? Waited for 8 months from knife center but they are on eBay?

Post by BetterThanPointyStick »

Hi folks,
Had a Shaman knife (plane edge stone washed version) ordered for me for Christmas from knife center in November. Was put on waiting list because they didn't have any. It's going to finally arrive today. Just out of curiosity, I looked on eBay to see what they were going for. Found three or four different places selling them for around $210 bucks around the price we paid for it I think.

Every time we talked to the knife center folks over the past few months, they said that Spyderco is having supply chain/labor problems/demand etc like everyone else is.

It makes no sense to me that there is still knives available like this on eBay if they are real. So my question is do you think there are Shaman fakes on eBay?

Thanks!
Michael Janich

Re: Fake Shamans? Waited for 8 months from knife center but they are on eBay?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear BetterThanPointyStick:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

It's important to remember the difference between a dealer, who is working to maintain a retail flow of new knives purchased from the manufacturer, and a eBay sellers who may have one or two knives they decide to sell on the secondary market. They are two very different economic models.

Stay safe,

Mike
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

The Shaman has not yet been counterfeited. Most standard production Shamans listed at MAP are being sold through eBay by conventional knife dealers (Atlantic Knife, White Mountain Knives, etc.) It appears there has been some restocking of standard production models over the past few weeks, including the PM2 and PE Shaman, which have been impossible to find all summer.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

BetterThanPointyStick wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:48 pm
Hi folks,
Had a Shaman knife (plane edge stone washed version) ordered for me for Christmas from knife center in November. Was put on waiting list because they didn't have any. It's going to finally arrive today. Just out of curiosity, I looked on eBay to see what they were going for. Found three or four different places selling them for around $210 bucks around the price we paid for it I think.

Every time we talked to the knife center folks over the past few months, they said that Spyderco is having supply chain/labor problems/demand etc like everyone else is.

It makes no sense to me that there is still knives available like this on eBay if they are real. So my question is do you think there are Shaman fakes on eBay?

Thanks!
Are these sellers with one knife or do they have actual stock like 10-20+?
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

There has been a back log for the Shaman (and say the Uk Penknife) for a few months. The Shaman i bought wasn't available for months in Europa. I was suprised it went back to "in stock" about a week ago. So i bought one on the spot. I don't think fakers just copy any model. They probably look what models sell good ( like the PM2 or Para3) and counterfit those. Fakers have to invest in tooling as well ( an FRN mold is pretty expensive).