Price?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
2019beeman

Price?

Post by 2019beeman »

I bought this knife at a pawnshop a few months ago. Can someone tell me what it may be worth.
Attachments
20210722_143705.jpg
The Deacon

Re: Price?

Post by The Deacon »

It's an older all stainless Delica that's been customized with a thin metal overlay. To anyone whose initials are not JEG it's probably not worth very much.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
2019beeman

Post by 2019beeman »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:08 pm
It's an older all stainless Delica that's been customized with a thin metal overlay. To anyone whose initials are not JEG it's probably not worth very much.
So it's not worth much with the thin silver overlay and gold and rose gold inlay? Sould I pull it off and sell it for scrap then?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

2019beeman wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:18 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:08 pm
So it's not worth much with the thin silver overlay and gold and rose gold inlay? Sould I pull it off and sell it for scrap then?

We're talking about a knife that had an MSRP of just under $70 during the last year it was offered for sale and which generally sold for 40% less. While the MSRP of the newer version with better blade steel is double that, most dealers sell them for around $100 and you can find them used in good condtion for around 2/3rd of that. It was also a very common model so, best case scenario, it would be worth perhaps half its original MSRP. Embellishment of any kind rarely add to the value of a Spyderco knife on the secondary market and some, like that "rodeo" style overlay, often limit interest and detract from value. That's even more the case with monogrammed pieces. So yes, if that overlay contains any appreciable amount of real silver and gold, and leaves you with a knife that's still functional, then it's scrap value would be greater than it's value on the knife. Otherwise, just consider it texturing that gives you a better grip on a decent user knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

Do you really think that a pawn shop is going to sell you something to make you rich !!??

They made cash on you !!