is this military fake?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
guillem

is this military fake?

Post by guillem »

Hello! This is my first post here, but I've been buying Spydercos since the 1990s. I'm from Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain. I own more than 300 Spydercos and I even got a small Bug Logo tattooed on my skin :spyder: :D I just registered to be able to write this post and share these pictures with you.

I got this "Military" from Amazon.es and I'm returning it because it doesn't feel like it's original. They charged me the full price, over 200€ ($250). Usually I buy Spydercos from White Mountain Knives, through eBay, and I don't like waiting for weeks for the transatlantic shipping, but at least they can be trusted.

What do you think? I don't like the lanyard hole, the screws, the jimping, the blade finish, the box labels... (see Google Photos gallery)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x4diVqUY18tnkCJa7

Thank you,
Guillem
yablanowitz

Re: is this military fake?

Post by yablanowitz »

Welcome to the forum! It is hard to be certain from a few pictures, but it looks fake to me. It is certainly not new (it doesn't have the CQI changes made a few years ago). With Amazon's policies and practices someone may have returned a fake and they passed it on to you.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Some Amazon knife customers buy a fake copy of a knife. Switch it for the authentic more expensive knife. And get a refund sending back the fake knife to Amazon and essentially end up with a $200 knife for $30 or similar.

If it were me I would send it back to Amazon and ask for a refund.
If you shop on Amazon you are playing Russian Roulette when it comes to higher quality knife brands such as Spyderco and Benchmade.

However you can easily get a refund and try again. At least Amazon will honor that.
I would not let 1 bad experience turn me away completely.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The screws are particularly concerning to me.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
TKCSA

Post by TKCSA »

Welcome to the forum! Is it just me or is the blade profile also slightly off? The Military has a little more belly compared to this blade, unless the angle of the photo is misleading me.