My first PM2 wondering if it is legit...

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Ernestjw

My first PM2 wondering if it is legit...

Post by Ernestjw »

Hi, I really need help with my Spyderco Para Military 2. I got this from a reputable online knife seller, the knife is supposed to be second hand from a knife collector and it was claimed never been used... only for display. I live in Indonesia so it is not easy to find new PM2 with price that makes sense, most of them are sold for about $300 and are in colours that I don't fancy.

NOTE that the clip are replaced by the previous user, however the original clip is included with the purchase, I've also attached its photo.

I tried spotting my best which are:
1. the logo on the pack is correct
2. the foam looks fine
3. the barcode, maybe fine (I'm not too sure)
4. No side to side action when blades opened—it is perfectly locked in place
5. and most of the things on the handle and printing on the blades I found online (you can see them in the video and photo I send)

However the thing that bothered me the most is that the blade finish... I can't find the vertical grooves that I saw most knives have in videos... mine is completely clean, similar to maxamet with a bit patina on it, however if it is maxamet I should have "maxamet" written on the blade... however here it is only written CPMS30V, just like normal satin finish blade (but it doesn't have the grooves!!). I've had the knife for a day or two, the opening action is smooth, the weight is just right, and it cuts well (but need sharpening) but still, the smooth blade finish has been bothering me a lot. The seller said I can send back the item if I wish, but I don't know if I will come across another black scales in near future. Have I been missing something? Can you guys help me please. Please check the photos below:

And I have made videos on the opening and closing action and better look at the patina I talked about:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b6mm24awevot ... 1UUza?dl=0

I really appreciate the help guys! I'm happy this kind of forum exists! Thanks.
Josh Crutchley

Re: My first PM2 wondering if it is legit...

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I can't see your pictures but from the video it looks legit. I believe Spyderco changed the way blades where finished a few years ago.
Wartstein

Re: My first PM2 wondering if it is legit...

Post by Wartstein »

Can´t see your pics either, they don´t show up.
Maybe try this: viewtopic.php?t=83968
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)