Update: Possible Fake S110V?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
zatch

Update: Possible Fake S110V?

Post by zatch »

My apologies if a thread like this already exists, but I’m interested to know from some of your experience, and possibly from Sal or Kristi, what things in particular might be potential warning signs on fakes (even really good fakes). Additionally, what are some things that vary from factory knife to factory knife that aren’t signs of a knock-off?

For example, I have a S110V I bought at a knife show a year ago, and the lanyard tube looks to have less of a bevel than a S30V PM2 straight from Golden. It’s only noticeable to a trained eye, but could it just be a slight inconsistency in otherwise perfect manufacturing? I think it’s easier to expect flaws when you know the knife didn’t come straight from SFO, but just want to make sure I’m not crazy :)

Thanks all!
Last edited by zatch on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danke

Re: Things to look for when scanning for fakes?

Post by Danke »

Post pictures of the knife you're unsure of. Folks here will give it a look.

Most people don't want to post a list of the "Top Ten Counterfeit Tells" because that just tells the fakers what to fix.
zatch

Post by zatch »

Danke wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:56 am
Post pictures of the knife you're unsure of. Folks here will give it a look.

Most people don't want to post a list of the "Top Ten Counterfeit Tells" because that just tells the fakers what to fix.
That makes a lot of sense come to think of it, thanks for the heads up :)
zatch

Post by zatch »

After a once, twice, and third time over on the PM2 in question, I’ve noticed a couple of things that may or may not be suspect.

I’ve heard stories of really good fakes, so the slightest difference spooks me a little. Could it just be manufacturers variance? Or do I have a potential fake on my hands?

Edit: The Blurple S110V is the knife I am wondering about.
Attachments
As you can see here, the clip hardware is smaller than that on a SFO PM2, and the shape of the clip is *slightly* different. It’s actually almost identical to the clip on my G-10 Native 5.
As you can see here, the clip hardware is smaller than that on a SFO PM2, and the shape of the clip is *slightly* different. It’s actually almost identical to the clip on my G-10 Native 5.
The very bottom of the choil is ground a little bit differently on the S110V model
The very bottom of the choil is ground a little bit differently on the S110V model
And the lanyard hole looks to be a little less beveled than the S30V straight from SFO.
And the lanyard hole looks to be a little less beveled than the S30V straight from SFO.