Pretty sure this Delica 4 is a fake

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Knifenutwill

Pretty sure this Delica 4 is a fake

Post by Knifenutwill »

The FRN doesn't look right and the 'Spyderco' wording is all crooked. url=https://postimg.cc/XZTPV7fP]Image[/url]

SpydernutWill89
Accutron

Re: Pretty sure this Delica 4 is a fake

Post by Accutron »

The FRN doesn't have the characteristic mold flash that brand new genuine Delicas have. Delicas probably have more convincing fakes than any other Spyderco model out there. Unless it's from an authorized dealer, or it's a sprint variant (which aren't counterfeited as a general rule), I'd avoid it just to be safe.
Knifenutwill

Post by Knifenutwill »

It's definitely fake i just compared it to my FRN Delica 4 and the edges on my real one wrap around from the top to the sides much thicker and more uniform than this fake. Here's pics of mine along with my fradon lock cf edition. I put it in a ziplock back so i can look at it without touching it. The bubble wrap bag was hard to see through. Both of these are new and display only beauties. Real FRN looks beautiful imo

https://i.postimg.cc/J7cDMZHc/160230168 ... 657459.jpg
SpydernutWill89
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Could just be the pictures from the lighting and camera that was used.

It looks like a used D4 to my eyes. I compared the directional texturing to my D4 and much of the bi-directions I directly compared match up; in count and in placement. My "SPYDERCO" features the same spacing between the ring and the script. Looks like the SP are close together, the Y has the largest gap between letters, DER practically intersect the ring and the CO look partially raised to me; with the O giving somewhat of an illusion as to being slightly more raised and disconnected than the other letters.

All this being said, there are still 2 pictures missing from the album to give better indicators regarding its' authenticity. Nothing looks inherently counterfeit about it from the pictures provided IMO.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

weeping minora wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:32 am
It looks like a used D4 to my eyes. I compared the directional texturing to my D4 and much of the bi-directions I directly compared match up; in count and in placement. My "SPYDERCO" features the same spacing between the ring and the script. Looks like the SP are close together, the Y has the largest gap between letters, DER practically intersect the ring and the CO look partially raised to me; with the O giving somewhat of an illusion as to being slightly more raised and disconnected than the other letters.
Unfortunately, the characteristics you list are not useful for discerning between real and fake Delicas. The exact pattern of the handle texture is identical, presumably because the counterfeiters used a real Delica to produce a negative for the counterfeit handle molds.

Finer details have to be examined, namely various corners and edges where the genuine Seki product has a very small, sharp mold flash around the inner perimeter of the handle radius where it meets the bidirectional component, and around the edge of the logo oval. There are other small differences with the screws, ricasso laser etching, etc., but for now at least, the absence of mold flash is the best quick-and-dirty way to spot a fake.

weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:56 am
weeping minora wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:32 am
Unfortunately, the characteristics you list are not useful for discerning between real and fake Delicas. The exact pattern of the handle texture is identical, presumably because the counterfeiters used a real Delica to produce a negative for the counterfeit handle molds.

Finer details have to be examined, namely various corners and edges where the genuine Seki product has a very small, sharp mold flash around the inner perimeter of the handle radius where it meets the bidirectional component, and around the edge of the logo oval. There are other small differences with the screws, ricasso laser etching, etc., but for now at least, the absence of mold flash is the best quick-and-dirty way to spot a fake.

Since I don't buy used models, I confess my ignorance to not being keen and up-to-date on the counterfeit insurgency that convolutes the market, though to my eyes there is not nearly enough clarity in lighting, nor resolution to give clear and concise sharpness in the flash molding to stand on that merit alone. This is not to discredit what you see from that point of view and I do see the differences in your provided side-by-side pictures. From differing angles, my Delica can look exactly as pictured, texturally. Smack a sub-par lighting, camera resolution and given the right angle, I'd get those results of subdued flash mold sharpness. Just my experience.

Looking at your photos, I think a bigger give-away to my eyes is that recessed lock that dips into the handle in that open position-handle only profile; while my model has that flush fit with the scales looking dead-on, opened or closed. Looking at them again, it looks like that handle only shot is a different knife altogether than the full-frame shot because of this. That boye dent crispness does not transfer from photo-to-photo to my eyes and I've never seen a lock depress into the handle like that when looking smack on. I notice that same inaccuracy in the fake to the photograph you have provided, albeit they are at a slightly cocked angle, it is jarringly clear. I do, however, also see that lack of over-wrapping FRN in the original pictures now. I appreciate your follow up and side-by-side comparison!
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.