Fake Salt 2 (2020)?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
jdv213

Fake Salt 2 (2020)?

Post by jdv213 »

Would love some input / feedback from anyone who owns a Salt 2...

I have owned and used Spyderco for nearly 20 years and just ordered a new Salt 2 from Amazon Spain (first Amazon order for a Spyderco as I usually buy from the distributor). It was advertised as 'Sold & Shipped by Amazon' and the link is below:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B075F3 ... UTF8&psc=1

Right off the bat I noticed a few things:

1. The golden logo on the box is a much darker gold. I have 5 other boxes at home at the moment, all from orders in the last year and they all match each other, this one stands out like a sore thumb.
01.jpg
2. The H1 logo on the knife has imperfections where some lines disappear if viewed from different angles (basically poorly etched). Here my only reference is my Atlantic Salt in black, so hard to compare.
02.jpg
3. The tip has a smoothed side over the grind (an imperfection) which I have never seen on a Spyderco grind. Hard to photograph, but very visible in hand and it looks polished where it should not be.
03.jpg
4. The jimping feels 'off' compared to my delica 4 which comes from the same factory. It does not have the same aggressive bite on the thumb and some of the teeth appear to be flattened / poorly cut. In addition to this, the pocket clip threads are filthy (covered in what looks like grease) and the lock is also covered in a blackish grease instead of the clean oil I'm accustomed to and shows a clear 'worn' spot where the lock engages.
04.jpg
06.jpg
* the bits of dirt in this shot are not rust specs, I could wipe it away quite easily and is merely dirt stuck to the greasy surface.

5. The box insert flyer is also a bit different and features a QR code on the back of the leaflet to 'register' Spyderco products along with a Facebook and Twitter logo. I received a new PM2 just two weeks ago and the insert looks the same as it has for the last few years (i.e none of this).

So the questions are:

Is this:

- a fake?
- a pre-owned knife?
- a lower quality product when compared to the Delica 4? (unlikely)
05.jpg
Last edited by jdv213 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Higher

Re: Fake Salt 2 (2020)?

Post by Higher »

Hi, jdv213
Never seen a Salt or Salt2 fake.
It's just a little different.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Based on the wear, I'd say a pre-owned that someone returned to Amazon. Either that, or a knife that should not have passed final QC. I'd return or exchange, if possible.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
jdv213

Post by jdv213 »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I already initiated the return +exchange for a new one, so curious to see what comes next 😁