Potentially counterfeit Atlantic

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
lion348

Potentially counterfeit Atlantic

Post by lion348 »

Hello,

I recently purchased an Atlantic salt from Amazon, and noticed that it does match most of the photos I can find online, particularly the backlock which appears to be made out of black plastic.can anyone tell if I've got the real deal or not
Attachments
IMG_20200525_151351928.jpg
IMG_20200525_151428685.jpg
IMG_20200525_150738087.jpg
IMG_20200525_150658362.jpg
The Deacon

Re: Potentially counterfeit Atlantic

Post by The Deacon »

Something is definitely off there. Lockbar screw, pivot screw, and the lockbar itself, should not be black. I'd say it's either a fake, or someone coated those parts then returned the knife. Either way, I'd send it back and buy elsewhere.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Is the backlock plastic? If so yes its junk. If its black coated metal I think your ok. Everything, serrations and all look like mine except mine is not black coated and Sal's makers mark is NOT on my blade.

I have a Pacific Salt SE and a Dragonfly Salt PE bought from reputable dealers and they have the black coated screws and lockbar WITH the SAl makers mark.

I think, again im no pro here, they did a CQI "constant quality improvement" so they coated it in black and added Sal's maker mark

Edit: the dragonfly was in a glass of salt water for hours, only sign of red rust was in the H1 laser etch, but that wiped right off with a paper towel
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

BladeHQ is selling my dragonfly salt with Black hardware now

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... llow--9301
sv4

Post by sv4 »

Looks like the Salts may be changing over to black lockbars & screws. Apart from the Dragonfly Salt, the pre-order for Pacific Salt 2 at BladeHQ also shows black hardware :

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ck--112409

So does the discontinued Pacific Salt too :

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ck--112409
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

Try this method (which I did to my Salt knives)...use the tip of your bottom or upper tooth and gently tap the back-lock. If it's plastic, it'll feel like plastic on your tooth. If it's metal, it'll make a clinking sound and cold feel to it. I tested it because I too also thought my salt knife back-lock was made of plastic.
"stay puft."
sv4

Post by sv4 »

Michael Janich has confirmed in this topic that black hardware is a rolling change for the Salt models :

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=86776