Native 5 Sprint Run

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
FeistyKat

Native 5 Sprint Run

Post by FeistyKat »

Hi, all-

I purchased a Native 5 Sprint Run on eBay.

I'm pretty sure it's bona fide, but it was eBay and I'm wondering how I can verify I have a genuine Spyderco.

The knife itself is very nice, well-made. The knife does show some tool marks on the blade (vertical scratches.) You can see them in the second photo.

The knife came in a Spyderco box, with a Product Information & Warranty Guide, small card discussing the rustiness of REX 45, a ULINE desiccant packet and a Congratulations letter on purchasing a Sprint Run knife. This letter is signed "Thanx Much" and is the only thing that might look dodgy, or it could just be a cool way of signing the letter.

The box & inserts are high quality and look genuine (do they provide that sort of thing with counterfeit knives?)

What do you think? Is it genuine?

Best,

Chris
ZZ Native 5 1.jpg
ZZ Native 5 2.jpg
Accutron

Re: Native 5 Sprint Run

Post by Accutron »

It's definitely real. Sprints aren't really counterfeited, much less a two month old Native sprint.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Got one just like it sitting on the desk in front of me. It's a nice little knife that lives in my pocket on weekends and afternoons when I shed the big boy clothes for something casual.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

You've given me peace of mind.

Are you going to force a patina, RustyIron?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

FeistyKat wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:10 am
No, I've been there, done that. Actually, I've studied creating patinas on stationary engines and other antiques. I'm pretty good and have published articles on it. For bare metal surfaces, I now shy away from that for the most part, and tend to prefer bright metal. It's about asetheics, and whatever you like.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:10 am
FeistyKat wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:10 am
No, I've been there, done that. Actually, I've studied creating patinas on stationary engines and other antiques. I'm pretty good and have published articles on it. For bare metal surfaces, I now shy away from that for the most part, and tend to prefer bright metal. It's about asetheics, and whatever you like.
RustyIron-

Are your articles available on-line? I'd love to read them.

What kind of stationary engines?

It sound interesting.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

FeistyKat wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:35 pm
Here are a couple that you might find of interest:

http://rustyiron.com/Articles/antiquefinish.html

http://rustyiron.com/Articles/reverseelectroly.html

It's been many, many years since I wrote these, so my process has evolved, but the basics are the same. One part that might be of interest to patina-seekers is suspending a blade in a covered jar with a bit of hydrochloric acid in the bottom. It might be a fun experiment.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:50 pm
FeistyKat wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:35 pm
Here are a couple that you might find of interest:

http://rustyiron.com/Articles/antiquefinish.html

http://rustyiron.com/Articles/reverseelectroly.html

It's been many, many years since I wrote these, so my process has evolved, but the basics are the same. One part that might be of interest to patina-seekers is suspending a blade in a covered jar with a bit of hydrochloric acid in the bottom. It might be a fun experiment.

"Liver of sulphur"...I thought that must be a typo, but no.

Those were an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

I really enjoy looking at "a job well done", whether it's a restored vehicle, or the dune buggy my brother in law built from scratch, or an old engine with new parts that are painstakingly aged.

I don't have the patience for any of that, myself, but it doesn't stop me from appreciating others' labor.

In the electrolysis article, what is the part with the flange? Is that for exhaust? Or does it attach to a pump? (it looks like there's some rust inside the pipe...)

We live down the road from the Martin Ranch, east of San Diego. They used to have a tractor get together once or twice a year.

Last time we were there, someone brought a smallish stationary engine (I think that's the term), not terribly big, but heavy I'm sure, with a flywheel that would accommodate a wide belt (6"?) and would power any number of types of equipment.

It was a real "Hit & Miss" motor that was pleasing to watch and listen to as it bumped its way somnolently along, never quite quitting, but it sure sounded like it would.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

FeistyKat wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:45 am

In the electrolysis article, what is the part with the flange? Is that for exhaust?
That's an exhaust pot. It's the predecessor to what we know as a muffler. It allows expansion and cooling of exhaust gasses.

FeistyKat wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:45 am
We live down the road from the Martin Ranch, east of San Diego.
I had to look up Martin Ranch. I have a couple friends in your area with breathtaking collections. The event you're speaking of was probably at the museum in Vista. I displayed there for many years until I got miffed, took my ball, and went home. The politicians are now out, some younger enthusiasts are now in, and one of these days I might once again bring an engine down there.

You're near Escondido. Every time I pass through the area, I work my schedule so I get to stop by Stone... unless I'm near Julian, in which case I have to stop by Jeremy's On The Hill.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:53 am
unless I'm near Julian, in which case I have to stop by Jeremy's On The Hill.
I've been to Julian many times (not in the Fall on weekends, though, very crowded.)

I've never heard of Jeremy's On The Hill, I'll have to take Mrs. FeistyKat up there for dinner. Once things get moving again.